My new old alvey

Its a fibreglass one, but I didn't know that they ever made fibreglass ones in that colour. Line is off of it now and about to give it a good clean as the inside is fairly grubby.Does anyone understand the drag on this model? I've had a look and all I can tell is you tighten up the knob in the middle and it makes the reel harder to turn backwards but also forwards... So as I increase drag I make it harder for me to wind in as well. Is that right? I have no idea when it comes to these reels :)

rocknev wrote:

statesquider wrote:

Hahaha that would make sense :) If a fish is tearing line off your reel wouldn't it burn your hand?

yep :laugh: wait til u hook a ray with it.... :woohoo:
And make sure to keep your fingers away from the handles,not a nice feeling getting your knuckles in the way when the thing is spinning backward at 2000 resos a minute. ;)

I have 4 alvey's of varying sizes which i used extensively many years ago when rock and surf fishing. They would have to be the best CASTING reels out, as far as distance goes. Years ago when i lived in adelaide and involved in the angling club scene pretty much all the casting comps were won by blokes using alvey's. Early on i almost gave them away as i was always getting what we used to call 3 stranders where the line seemed to loop off causing tangles. An old bloke in the club i was showed me why. With a spinning reel the line is wound back on the reel in the same way that it comes off, it is the same with an overhead reel, but with an alvey sidecast reel the line loops off, the same as a spinning reel when being cast out, but is wound in the same as a centre pin or overhead reel. He suggested that i always use 2 swivels instead of one on the main line to counteract this. For the life of me i can't see why 2 swivels would work better than 1 but it certainly greatly reduced the amount of tangles i was getting when casting.

I've caught all sorts on plain dragless Alveys,including big Mullies,Snapper,Sharks,Rays and even Spanish Mackeral in W.A. ;) Don't worry about burning your hand.Worry about the spinning handles :lol: You will get a feel for the reel after a bit of use,and everything will become second nature.Cheers Phil.

fantastic work mate!! when i busted my spinning reel on my surf rod on the weekend i almost brke out my old alvey for a salmon session.. but another large spin reel came on offer from my step father.. dont think he was keen on me re-steeling/borrowing the alvey he gave me when i was 14.. as i think he knows he would never get it back once i re claimined it ;)you have done well :) now enjoy it to its fullest!

• 3 weeks later...

Brings back memories of eagle ray fishing off west beach as a kid in the seventies.I had a fiberglass 650 C5.650 was 6.5 inch C was star drag A5 was fixed handle(651 deep spool large capacity)Various friends had bakelite reels like this and even a couple of old wooden spool jobs.I always got a laugh listening to me old mate scream when an eagle'y took off on his old knuckle buster C5.The rods we all used were built on butterworth blanks MT8144.Stood for multi taper 8 wrap 144 inches (12 ft).I believe synderglass use the same mandrills.A short 9 inch butt and large stripping guide were a must.Most of us had a little hook type guide near the front grip known as an open runner.Swivels are stronger than people think and we found using smaller swivells stopped most of the line twist that caused the dreaded three strand.Level winding with the forefinger was essential.Casting was done buy trapping the line against the spool with the back (BUTT) hand and placing the front hand well up the rod towards the stripping guide. In South Africa they cast overhead surf rods with short butts in this manner!!??