Hi AllJust wondered what your first time was like :huh::P;) Tell us about your "First" of any species.My first Big Snapper came as a result of determination, and luck as much as anything.My first boat was a glass dinghy, and I'd often seen boats sitting out around the barges and tyre reef off glenelg, and seen them sitiing out there at night too.A plan was hatched to melave really early 1 m orning and simply head for the boat lights to help me find my way :P Launched about 3a.m. and found NO light out there at all, so what to do :unsure: :dry: :huh::blink: While I was deciding a large boat came past me an dheaded off into the distance. ratyher than follow it, I decided to just stay where I was, so over went the anchor.The other boat came back after an hour or so, and anchored close-by. They soon started catching doggies and rays while I patiently waited in the pre-dawn light.Just on dawn my ratchet howled like Ive never heard it b4 or since, and with trembling hands I quickly lifted my rod and set the hooks.The tussel went on for a while, in what is now known to me as a classic snapper fight, but at the time, I really didnt have much idea of what I had hooked, though I was certainly hopeful of what it might be :):P :silly: :laugh: Finally the fish surfaced; in fact right next to the other boat, and weren't they jealous :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: It was a long time ago, but from memory went just over 13 Kilos :cheer: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thank god ur talking bout fish :blush: :silly: Gee know ya testing the ol memory bank :huh: Do Shitties count :blush: , coz Thats about all I got for a while.. But then was the snapper , pan size ones fished from the basin when it was accessible back then by transport, EG..Push bikes :laugh: lol, My granddad used to be a security guard at the gates there, let me and my brother straight in.Got a nice catch in between shitties :laugh:

my first fish was a carp caught at goolwa at the sea scout hall while camping for cubs it was also the first time i had used a rod and caught a murray cod as well! My first sea fish was a yelloweye mullet from o sullies boat ramp same for tommie and yellowfin whiting! Still to catch mulloway,snapper shark and rays

Guest undertaker

My first fish was a really unlucky bream,about 3 inches long from Snowdens Beach in the Port........must be getting on 35 years ago now......funnily enough though,can remember it like it was yesterday.......you know,full on panic,and just "skull drag" the poor little bugger in at 150 kph......

my one and only snapper from a boat happened many years ago.bro in law was supposed to follow my dad, bro and me out in the early dawn... but he didnt want to get up early.hit a spot we know, and were there less than 5 minutes.bryans rod screamed off, and he was hooked onto a solid snapper.10 seconds later, mine took off, and so started the first ever snapper from a boat.bryan's fish was running, banging, kicking, and he was all over the boat fighting it."get under me...get over me " he kept saying as his fish went bunta.meanwhile im just winding in a small pannie snapper.....it came up the top, not one kick or anything like what bryans fish was doingthen i seen colour...."HOLY CRAB.DAD... GET THE GAFF...." mine was on board in 3 mintues, without one inkiling of a fight... the boring mongrel.bryans wouldnt stop fighting... his fish didnt want to be in the boat thats for sure.but it was eventually gaffed.dad missed a run, and that was it for the next hour.we headed in and got some whiting, and bumped into bro in law... we motor up near.... and tell him we have a few whiting... oh... and a couple of small pannie snapper...then on the count of 3, we bent down and """"""""""" ayyyyyyyyyyup" HOISTED THE FISH FOR THEM TO SEE...INSTANT YOU PRICKS came from them... had a laugh and off we went.bryans weighed 26lb even, and mine was 29 1/2 lb( 13.2kg)my inlaws got given that fish, and it was cut into cutlets, fried,bbq'ed,roasted, smoked anevery other way you can cook a snapper...they were eating it for weeks...

My first I remember waking up at 3am and my dad driving down to outer harbour break water And my dad first stopping at the cockle machine at the servo on the way Not another car on the road we walked for a long time and the sun was just coming up and all these seagull started smashing the water Salmon busting up whitebait The old man grabbed some chrome and we were on had a ball I said to my dad a couple of years ago remember that day them fish were massive And he said son they were only around 700gram Talking about crashing my childhood memory that’s dad

afishyfish wrote:

Keep after those Rays, Snapps and Mullies!reelin wrote:

my first fish was a carp caught at goolwa at the sea scout hall while camping for cubs

I'm totally off topic here, but what school was that with Reelin ? I used to go there myself ages ago ;)
I went to coorara then woodcroft college! but that camp was for the flaxmill cubs like junior scouts when i was about 7 or 8

My first time - lets just say I was nervous I was scared I was apprehensive I was alone . We being my father and my Uncle where fishing behind Torrens Island . I hooked a blue crab on the whiting rig . My Father told me that it had to go back, because it was not red and he only wanted red crabs . Thanks Dad :S you rotten old bugger .

afishyfish wrote:

shane wrote:

And my dad first stopping at the cockle machine at the servo on the way

Crikeys I remeber those . You must bew getting to be around my age :huh:
I think it was the earlys 70s it all stoppedPity really they were a good idea, I can also remember dry ice machine but that didn’t last long only a couple of years
  • 3 weeks later...

My first fish was the most stupid flathead ever.I think it was about 14 inches long. I was about nine (38 years ago)at pt Lincoln on a family holiday.I caught it on a handline ,with a cockle dangled about 6 inches below the surface off the Jetty in very deep water.My dad was busy untangling my six foot solid glass Kmart rod that I received for Christmas.Still to this day can't understand what a flathead was doing this high off the bottom.By the end of the two week holiday I had caught gar, tommie's,treva's ,ST's,and even a couple of couta.I still remember watching the Tuna boats come in followed by huge schools of big sea mullet.I have been hooked ever since.I visited the cockle machine at the Patawalonga boat ramp for years when chasing bream in the Pat as a kid.20 cents a pint.They used to hang a sign frozen or fresh.When they were fresh I always took a few home for my old man to eat.I think it disappeared in the mid eighties.Ahh those were the days eh?

Guest Brent61southoz

my very first catch was a double header of 4" tommy ruffs off the beach at black point some 44yrs ago. i ended up with a hook ripping thru my finger.still have the scar and i stomped on that lil bugger that did itbrentlmao, 20c a pint cockle machine,,geez i remember the old ice machines.. blocks or crushed,drop ur coins in,throw the ice box underneath and make your selection.. line ups on xmas mornings..brent.

my first time i caught a fish was when i was 4 and it was back when stansbury was good for K.G whitingwas still in a stroller and using my dads fishing rod and he taught me how to do everything, so i eventually cast it out myself and within about 5 mins the line was flying out, he did help me hold the rod and reel it in, but i did most of itturned out to be a very good sizei ran away that night when he started to gut it and seen wat was inside lol