Entomologists, c'mon!!

grubb wrote:

It looks like some thing from the mayfly family. Perhaps a 'green drake' in those colours could work. Maybe you could put this post on a flyfishing website, you would probably get an exact pattern then.Cheers, Dave.

Never thought about a dedicated site Dave, good idea, though I'm still hopeful we have a few knowledgeable Fly Guys on our site B)
rocknev wrote:

you know... del actually killed one of them on his tent in whyalla last night...he said it was a winged earwigger.i called it a plain old bug.

That's not a silly comment either as the body section is a "dead ringer" for an earwigs body although it's definiteley a member of the "ephemerids" (live for one day only!)
Mickyj wrote:

rocknev wrote:

you know from the side view, its sort of like a locust as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it looked like a locust.And we all know locust when single are grasshoppers ;) Tony I enjoy reading your posts .seems I need to tag along one day with you :)
from the side it defintaly looks like a locust... i even said that to del when it started to crawl all over the side of del's tent...but when it flew down to the ground, we could see the forked tail, and del said it was an earwig.must be a hybrid of the 2 perhaps....
rocknev wrote:

Mickyj wrote:

rocknev wrote:

you know from the side view, its sort of like a locust as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it looked like a locust.And we all know locust when single are grasshoppers ;) Tony I enjoy reading your posts .seems I need to tag along one day with you :)
from the side it defintaly looks like a locust... i even said that to del when it started to crawl all over the side of del's tent...but when it flew down to the ground, we could see the forked tail, and del said it was an earwig.must be a hybrid of the 2 perhaps....
that bug was the last of my worries compared to that HUGE wolf spider..good luck tying the fly tony.. its things like that.. observing the food sources and imitating them that make u such a formidable fisher!

I think this is an atolaphlebia australisica dun (sub imago stage of the mayfly cycle).Very common on the Finnis CatchmentTry a hghland Dun (Tassie pattern) or a Pecks Dun in size 12 or 14 .A shaving brush or Barry Lodges emerger(Tassie Pattern) is also worth a try.These are all well known patterns and tying instructions should be easy to find.Once they change to spinners (imago stage) try a Noel Jetsons (very famous Tassie Tyer) red spinner.Very hard to fool the Trout once they start jumping for red spinner,Ask anyone who has fished Lake Konongwootong during a spinner session!!If you know anyone with a copy of Ray Browns Trout stream insects of the Fleuriea Peninsula it will be in there.A friend of mine has a copy ,I will see if I can identify it. Green Drake is a massive Nth American mayfly much larger than these and greenish in colour.These are a copper red colour.Stripped peacock quill makes the perfect body material but many people use red flos ribbed with gold or copper wire.Cheers

Just found it.Page 106 of Peter Leuver,s fur and feather has a whole page dedicated to the Atalophlebia dun as tied by Ray brown for fishing South Australian waters.Ray now resides in Tassie and still ties flies commercially.This is an excellent book.(i collect fly tying books)Atalophlebia dunHook:9480 downeye,size 12Silk:6/0 prewaxed RumpfRib: Stripped peacock herlTail: dun cockBody: Palmered Blue Dun ,ribbed with stripped peacock herlWing: Peacock wing quill (brown),rolledHackle:Blue Dun followed by brownTony if you cant find Rumpf silk just use 6/0 uni thread in brown or black.hook can be substituted for a Kamisan b405.Also wing can be substituted for Turkey tail slip.The same book features Rumpfs red spinner (page 70) which can be useful if the fish are mopping up spent spinners after the hatch.I would still favor the highland dun or lodges emerger as my first go to flies during the hatch.Australias best trout flies by Malcolm Crosse is another useful book.Barry Lodges emerger(tied by Jim Allen) appears on page 19.The Highland dun (by Noel Jetson) is featured on page75.There is as ectin dedicated to Ray Browns flies (many specific to SA)on page 34.Highland DunHook:kamasanb401Thread: pearsills silk brown.tail: bunch of brown hackle fibresBody:brown tying silk palmered with brown hackleRib:fine copper wireWing:Brown speckled hen wing slips tied con cave sides inward,forming a single, backward slpoing winghackle: brown cock with two turns of badger hackle in front

Wow, this site continues to blow me away :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: So much good oil, how can you not fail to be impressed B)B) B)Thanks to all the experts for sharing, now I just gotta get my head around this stuff and get challenged with the fly tying side of it, I'm sure I'll get plenty of help if I get stuck :PThanks guys! B)B)B) Roll cast: A special thanks to you, so much knowledge in one head, you sure know your stuff B) On the subject of Fly tying books, I think I've mentioned on S&H before about a book which really pushed my Fly tying buttons when I lived in Scotland for a few years. "Clyde Style Flies" by John Reid is a "pandoras box/Aladdins cave, of tiny, technically tied exact imitations of Flies for the clear, seriously heavily fished stretches of the Clyde River which flows past the industrial city of Glasgow.Make an effort to get a copy, you will love it as much as I did B) ( be prepared to tie to size 20 hook sizes with feathers from the throat of a starling, wing slips from blackbirds etc.)

Thanks Tony,I will keep an eye out for that book.I am off to Gore on the South Island of NZ for my annual pilgrimage in three weeks,so have been busy tying.I enjoy tying starling split wing style flies such as black gnats and the smaller sizes in 18 20 etc are a must for the match the hatch style fishing on the Matuara which runs through Gore.cheers Rollcast

• 2 months later...

Tony,Borrowed a copy of clyde style flies from a close friend today.Interesting to see that they tie a wet version of the ever reliable red tag,normally fished dry over here especially in Tassie to gum beetle feeders.I might have to tie a few of the smallwer mayfly patterns featured.Cheers Rollcast

I had a strong fancy you'd enjoy that title Rollcast ;) One of my favourites was the mating Black Gnats, two tiny black cock hackles one at the eye and one at the bend with some black tying silk for the body, tied on a size 20, fished Dry of course B) I used to blow my mates away on the English Reservoirs where big "streamer" style patterns fished fast where all the go B) The ridicule soon turned to requests to "Make me a few up mate!", very satisfying, maybe more so than the Rainbows I caught up to 7lb 6ozs ;)Another second choice fly was the wet "Black and Peacock Spider" B) Black hen hackle,peacock herl body, a piece of the hackle for the tail and I used to tie in a silver tinsel tag which I thought may represent a bubble of air such as some water beetles carry! B)