Surf Lifesavers call for ban on jetty shark fishin

Another nail in the coffin of the LB shark fisho.I know this comes around every year, but the thing is its the same voices being heard with little or no contradictory evidence. Think some of you better, well informed & well read types put pen to paper to dispell some of the mistruths and hype put up by the Surf Lifesavers. http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26578382-2682,00.html

what a load of crap aye.. yet again someone who has no idea voiceing their oppinion. gee' if i wanna take my tiagra 130 down the jetty i can! as long as the trace and hook size meets with the set laws.They obviously have no idea about the fact that that area is a highway to the breeding ground, sharks through the hot months are going to be there wheather they like it or not.sounds like these clowns get there info from the same clowns as peter garrett, with respect to his banning of fishing for mako's and porbeagle sharks.An interesting tid bit, did any of you know that last year 200+ whit pointers were tagged in our gulf..

exaclty Coight & thats the point I'm trying to make in the above thread. These guys get heard, preying on the fear of beach goers when the reality is teh sharks will be there regardless of whether they are fished for or not. Hence why I say that some of the (how do I put this?)"more organised" fisho's need to band together and lay down a few truths to the media in regard to this.

Dont brand all Surf Life savers with the same brush because of ONE club president who dosent know shit from clay. I can tell you that as a Surf Lifesvaer it is not my view and also not the view of many of the other lifesavers that I deal with. If you want to bag someone then write letters to the president of the mentioned surf club to set him straight. He gets on the band wagon every year at this time because there are a few sharks spotted at his beach, if you remember last year he sprouted on about crabbing from the jetty when the sharks showed up, hell thers 6 beaches along the coast that have had sharks spotted every day (by the shark plane and the surf helicopter) but you dont hear them whining about it. And Coight we are not clowns and I dont know where he gets his info but like I said before write to him and have a go at him not Surf in general.

Excellent point Moose. ;) You are very right and I will appologies if my comments seemed to have suggested that I thought all SLS'vrs shared the views of one or two outspoken Presidents. :blush: However, it is up to the membership to ensure that if comments made by the president are not shared by the majority, that that voice needs to be replaced with one who is more in tune with the realities of the subject or polititly told to remain quiet on those same topics.Its a valuable service SLSC's provide to beach goers around the state, in deed, the country, be a shame to have the regard many hold for them devalued by unwarranted & ilinformed comments such as those I read today. ;)

what a load of crap, sharks come in summer to chase the bait fish and us shark fishos are there to catch them, All we are doing is ballooning a big bait a few hundered meteres out waiting for a big one to swim past, were not using any blood and guts etc. If they ban it sharks are still going to come in close to shore near swimmers becasue its summer and they chase the bait fish why dont the life savers wake up to them self not just think its us bringing em in with burley..... :angry:Just an idea but we should get a petition going for everyone that is against this....

moose wrote:

Dont brand all Surf Life savers with the same brush because of ONE club president who dosent know shit from clay. I can tell you that as a Surf Lifesvaer it is not my view and also not the view of many of the other lifesavers that I deal with. If you want to bag someone then write letters to the president of the mentioned surf club to set him straight. He gets on the band wagon every year at this time because there are a few sharks spotted at his beach, if you remember last year he sprouted on about crabbing from the jetty when the sharks showed up, hell thers 6 beaches along the coast that have had sharks spotted every day (by the shark plane and the surf helicopter) but you dont hear them whining about it. And Coight we are not clowns and I dont know where he gets his info but like I said before write to him and have a go at him not Surf in general.

Mate not putting everyone in the same bin. my comments were directed at the comments from the article. which included accusations of illegal fishing and allegations that shark fishing from the jetty attracts sharks. So are you trying to tell me that members of the community who publicly give ill informed statments about topics, having zero knowledge on the topic, arn't clowns?Dont get your back up.. my comments were not directed at YOU just the clowns from the article.

can some one clear something up for this uninformed fisho where does it state in the rule book that you may still use meat as bait or burley as long as you are more than 2 nm out,correct me if im wrong but isnt meat product banned all together..now secondly i know that no one has been fishing our local jetties with illegal gear ,,that is my oppinion i have no proof of this same as mr fielder has no bloody proof they are he is entitled to an oppinion but dont make up storys sir to justify your rant...anyway fishos its been raised now so tread lightly try not to make a bad name for land based shark fishos and no dought there is a whole band wagon of people dying to jump on mr fielders wagon and start complaining do the right thing play by the rules and we should have nothing to fear..i cant see the powers that be doing anything unless a majority sarts to complain or it is proven people are flouting the rules ,i hope :(

Ben m wrote:

Just start callin it very heavy beach mulloway fishin lol. What a joke sharks are everywhere, people just get the wrong idea when they see em gettin lugged up metro beaches and jetties and think that the reason they are there is the fishos fault.

Ha ha. Good idea.Nothin like a bit of scare mongering in the media. I can imagine if the same thing happened on the gold coast. Sharks are right through the canal system. They must be naughty fishos up there :laugh::laugh: What is needed though is a representative of the fishing community to speak up and put some facts out there to alleviate any irrational thinking that will most likely occur in some pollies brains and effect our much loved pasttime.

tell ya what. If i was say here on holiday and looking to go for a refreshing dip off said beach. i would like to know of potential dangers. especially for my family's sake. something along the lines of "sharks move through this area, swimming during hour's of darkness is not advised"

Better to be informed I say. But its all in the wording as to how the message is received. As Carps said as long as most fishos behave themselves as in abiding by the rules then there really isnt too much that can be done. Up the penalties for those that break the rules and leave those of us that do the right thing alone to enjoy our sport.

still you gott be worried when some knob says ""I know people have been fishing off Henley jetty recently using illegal equipment," he said."You see them walking up there to go fishing with heavy-duty gear."short of him heading onto the jetty with a set of vernias and asking to disect the steel trace in question to find out how many strands it has... need i say more ;)

yea ...that whole story in the Advertiser and Adelaide Now is worded so badly it makes me think its a joke!"luring the man-eaters to shore" has anyone got any evidence that bronzies have eaten a person yet....anywhere???"often use heavy-duty rods and hooks to bring in sharks".....this is amazing that a rod, because its heavy duty can bring in sharks and the "hooks" !and because of it ,Ban the practice.........Henley Surf Life Saving Club president Neville Fielder ....this man thinks?????? :laugh::laugh: "I know people have been fishing off Henley jetty recently using illegal equipment," he said."You see them walking up there to go fishing with heavy-duty gear.Police it heavily until people learn." Mr Fielder said i think he should learn the rules and regulations befor he opens his trap.the day i see 44gallon drums of tuna oil carted to the end of a metro jetty in the middle of a summer heatwave ill retire sharkin of jetties !DO THE RIGHT THINGS GUYS AND DONT SCREW IT UP FOR THE REST !

excactly where i was leading coight he has nothing in the way of proof but as a head life saver some will take his word as gospel and for those who dont fish and dont know the rules they would believe that he knows what he is talking about and would presume he knows the diferance between whats legal and wats not.we all know what happens when the greater majority beleive something to be true and even worse what happens when someone who looks after your family when they are in the ocean tells the people that the mean nasty fisherfolk are luring in these creachers that are going to hurt their families.some one needs to stand up and inform the public about the anual shark run that coincides with summer every year and if they really want to know why there are more sightings maybe take a look at government policy and not the rec fichos.protecting any species of animal is going to lead to a influx of this animal and when the said animal is such a perfect hunter with 0 other prey other than humans they are going to thrive,and maybe just maybe these animals are smarter than we give them credit for maybe they realise they are no longer being hunted by us therefore we pose no threat to them.now you have the worlds greatest hunter without fear or boundries.my ten cents worth

Guest shagging

i just read this toilet paper story! and dont have words to descride the stupidity! i invite these "clowns" too come sharking one night with a snorkel and flippers! go down the bottom and tell me how many crab nets he can see?,and how many baits per net?. On a bad night there will be up too 15 nets in the water with multiple baits! do the math! you absolute twitts! one bait for a shark hook! you may as well band squiding then!fish used as teasers!,do you think they did the research before making complete false statements?, and some blame must be placed on the writer of this trash!. DO THE RESEARCH BEFORE TALKING NONSENCE!and not too mention you may not even get a run in 40 times you go!and how bout the head line! "MAN EATERS" oh please! sharks dont swim around and say to one another! hey larry! found any swimmers yet,far from it! sharks are predators and may well take a bit out of a surfer! or a swimmer! but its purely place and time,nothing more. These sorts of stories are going to sway the public,non fisherman will believe whats being said!, i am going too contact the advertiser and ask for a say on this topic,for all shark fisherman! you cant go round writing this sort of nonsence! shame on you!

shagging wrote:

i just read this toilet paper story! and dont have words to descride the stupidity! i invite these "clowns" too come sharking one night with a snorkel and flippers! go down the bottom and tell me how many crab nets he can see?,and how many baits per net?. On a bad night there will be up too 15 nets in the water with multiple baits! do the math! you absolute twitts! one bait for a shark hook! you may as well band squiding then!fish used as teasers!,do you think they did the research before making complete false statements?, and some blame must be placed on the writer of this trash!. DO THE RESEARCH BEFORE TALKING NONSENCE!and not too mention you may not even get a run in 40 times you go!and how bout the head line! "MAN EATERS" oh please! sharks dont swim around and say to one another! hey larry! found any swimmers yet,far from it! sharks are predators and may well take a bit out of a surfer! or a swimmer! but its purely place and time,nothing more. These sorts of stories are going to sway the public,non fisherman will believe whats being said!, i am going too contact the advertiser and ask for a say on this topic,for all shark fisherman! you cant go round writing this sort of nonsence! shame on you!

Good Idea mate
Guest shagging

"TO ALL SHARKERS" I propose we all meet opposite henly surf life saving club!,the next warm morning and wet a line!lets stand up for our rights! and let these idiots no! that you cant just go round talking trash,and expect people to just shut up!.this debate has been going on way too long! with no fact or, basis to the aurgument! who,s with me?

your passion is admirable. But as pissed of as we all are with the statments, its only idle banter so far. If the topic goes any further which i doubt it will. i'm sure boaties and l\b fisho's alike will be there to support the cause. You can bet your bottom dollar that the local council has been approached over the topic. So if any current action was to be taken, i might suggest a phone call as a concearned member of the public.. rather than a pissed off fisho :)

Guest davidm#2

al i have to say is bullshiet bullshiet bullshiet.i dont think i have ever seen a sharky go down the jetty and burley up to bring the sharks to them, if a shark swims past our bait and there hungry theyll take it.i shark alot down grange and i dont think that the kayakers have no respect they purposely paddel over our line and near our balloons hitting the water as they go past.ive lost numerous rigs,windon leaders and lots of line due to them getting tangledanother thing is there are gutters all along our local beaches and sharks just roam along them, if any thing we should be educating them.(SLS clubs) dont get me wrong tho, they do a great job when it comes to saving liveswhat ever hapened to its there home you take the risk if you venture into it.cheers

its all hype sharks smarks i swim in our oceans i snorkel i spear fish and am currently in the process of getting my dive ticket and i also shark fish and have been known to dive of my boat to cool of at the same time, can we do a poll how many fishos are on this site- how many fishos burley up everytime they fish now for the real question how many fishos have seen a shark in the flesh let alone a white-------- i thought so maybe 1 in five hundred... with those odds i feel very safe and secure in our waters and dont start the my mate saw this my dads aunties best friesnds uncles dad saw a white do this its all scare mungering caused by people who have nothing better to do than make sure good whole hearted people have less fun than they do in there mundane boring existance...p.s the pirsa bloke stepped up to the plate for fishos in the have your say section of the paper explaining that laws are already in place and are being policed and are working fine at the present time :) thank you sir ;)

That article was a joke, they have no idea what they are on about. "often use heavy-duty rods and hooks to bring in sharksand the "hooks". haha, of coarse were using heavy duty gear, were fishing for sharks and aslong as were going by all the rules then its fine, unless were dumping blood into the water or using meat or chicken or stuff like that then the sharks arent guna be coming any closer because were fishing there, there cuming in closer to get the fish they eat.FSW