vb4me wrote:
Fishie wrote:
Gamakatsu Octopus 7/0 and 8/0 I have caught some small snapper on 8/0 gamakatsu octopus circles.
Exactly.. you'd be surprised how big a bait a snapper can swallow.... they can open their mouths very wideSometimes I fish with baits nearly as much as 1 kilo in size (such as whole sambo trouties :ohmy:

ve tired the Gamakatsu Octopus in 6.0 from the rocks... i tied a heap of rigs, with the octopus as the bottom hook, and a normal suicide hook above abut an inch away... then i tried with the normal hook on the bottom and the other just above it.inconclusive, as more times than not, the snapper have missed the octopus, and hit the el cheapo suicde, on either the top or the bottom..but the octopus's have landed me fish from the rocks.but for the price of them, im not buyinh them again, im sure they are fine for a boat, but not for the rocks... i lose enough gear now to these rocks, without chucking the good stuff away.as for hooks, my pro snapper fisher mate, uses just a normal suicide hook in a 10.0 size.. just one hook.he tried the octopus's and got rid of them pretty quick.he fishes in gear, and doesnt miss to many fish

Im with you Nev, I always fish in gear as well. I think this thread shows that most hook types work. Just personale preference and the situation that your fishing in that should dictate what you choose.I used to fish in freespool and missed truckloads of runs.Never again will I fish in freespool even with a running rig.If Im fishing a running rig and a snapper picks it up I just give em a few seconds to get it down and set the hook.Brett

I also lock the drag up and never freespool.... 'cos I use big baits, it's nothing for me to have the snapper sitting there munching up my bait and crushing it for at least 5 mins or so like a dog enjoys crunching a big bone before the snapper makes a run for it and hooks up

I also lock the drag up and never freespool.... 'cos I use big baits, it's nothing for me to have the snapper sitting there munching up my bait and crushing it for at least 5 mins or so like a dog enjoys crunching a big bone before the snapper makes a run for it and hooks up