Tagged Snapper

Just a word to keep your eyes peeled boys and girls.One of the Snaps we pulled in had a tag on it.Not a very visible tag either as it was pink which does not stand out on a red/pink fish.Turns out it came through the NSW tagging program - yep they travel that far!Have a look at the site here......http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/gamefish-tagging#What-to-do-if-you-catch-a-tagged-fish

As being a member of the Adelaide game Fishing Club it if it was caught in either of the two gulfs it was probably one of our members that tagged it (Possibly Coight or Myself). When you do Capture a tagged fish you should record its weight and length and condition of the fish as well as the co-ordinates that you caught it at (Approx) and send the info off to Game Fish Tagging Program NSW Department of primary industries.Or on the tag itself there will be a phone number and a tag numberIf you do catch a tagged fish please try and do the above mentioned as it gives us abit more info on growth rate and health of the fish and whether they stay in our local waters or venture further out..Cheers AdamOh and for recording and reporting the tag details i think you even get a nice fish tagging assocition T-Shirt ;)

Highfly wrote:

I recall a pisa survey that showed the snapper in each gulf pretty much never leave their own gulf.I'm sure if someone knows different they'll soon let us know

I was under the same impression Highfly. I find it strange that a NSW fish would have swam to our gulf.Cant wait for the details to be determined. :huh:

I caught a snapper in 2004 in Clare Bay which was originally caught and tagged in Fowlers Bay in 2002.The snapper had grown 170 mm and wasn't too far from the original capture point.Fishing in the port two weeks ago and my mate catches a mulloway with a tag in it and then the very next fish also has a tag in it. I'm still waiting to hear the results / history of this capture.

bluey68 wrote:

I caught a snapper in 2004 in Clare Bay which was originally caught and tagged in Fowlers Bay in 2002.The snapper had grown 170 mm and wasn't too far from the original capture point.Fishing in the port two weeks ago and my mate catches a mulloway with a tag in it and then the very next fish also has a tag in it. I'm still waiting to hear the results / history of this capture.

Hey Bluey,I have heard of a couple of mulloway caught in Port with tags in them, I know the bloke collected all the info, and forwarded it on, I will try and find out, but I reckon it was a NSW based tag aswell. My understanding is that the tags are distributed Oz wide via NSW fisheries, I will happily be corrected if wrong, so my understanding is they are local caught fish, and tagged by local fisherman with the tags supplied from interstate.Damien

Here is probably the best peice of research that I have seen which indicates the catch amounts and future biomass sizes for all parts of SA including Southern Spencer Gulf, Northern Spencer Gulf, Northern Gulf St Vincent and Southern Gulf St VincentTo summarise this study, and I am by no means an expert, it shows that there was a fantastic year of snapper born in 1991, 1997 & 1999.For fish to be regarded as resident fish, they were to of moved less then 20km from the place they were tagged and migrant fish if they moved more than that. The best reading is on Pge 16&17. :laugh: This study although it doesnt prove that it is unlikely for a fish to have swum from NSW to SA, it does show that most SA fish's range a maximum of up to 120km.What I find interesting is how the fish move from the nursery grounds in the gulfs and travel to the continental shelf for some years and then return years later to become resident fish in our gulfs.Enjoy the read as there is some fantastic info here. B)B)B)B)http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/46509/rd03_00682.pdf

next time i speak to my pro snapper fisher mate, i will ask him a few questions... he catches tagged snapper a lot, and part of his license agreement is he MUST report the info of a tagged snapper he has caught.same as he must report shark sightings, which he is doing a lot of.off topic a bit, but not really.i would be interested in knowing where the cuttlefish come from each year.common knowledge that whyalla has the largest congregation of giant cuttlefish in the world, and they arrive every year to breed and then die...where do the young uns go, and where do they come from ?they come back year after year to breed here.....

I have heard of a couple of mulloway caught in Port with tags in them, I know the bloke collected all the info, and forwarded it on, I will try and find out, but I reckon it was a NSW based tag aswell. My understanding is that the tags are distributed Oz wide via NSW fisheries, I will happily be corrected if wrong, so my understanding is they are local caught fish, and tagged by local fisherman with the tags supplied from interstate.DamienYep thats right they are supplied to the club by Fish Tagging Program NSW Department of primary industries. B) And as i said in original post "If it was caught in either of the two gulfs it was probably one of our members that tagged it (Possibly Coight or Myself)." ;)

im still trying to work out WHY nsw would provide s.a. with tags... defeats the purpose of tagging does it not? i might as well just import tags cheap from america or something like that to really confuse people....or is a case of nsw thinking they are better than us again?