Hey all! I’ve been chasing mully in westlakes mostly at the inlet with liveys for the last 2 years. I’ve had some success, however the the odds have been very low and most times i dont expect to come home with anything. I’ve just started throwing lures as liveys are time consuming to catch.I’m sure there are people out there who have a higher success rate then me due to experience and knowing when and where mullys are moving about the lake, however i don’t have any contacts in the area so ive been trying to learn the hard and long way.This time last year i was having the most luck and even pulled in a 55cm snapper which may be in my photo album if you want to check it out.anyway, i am hoping someone will be generous enough to let me know if and when, and where the mullys are on the bite as i am keen but have lack of direction when chasing them in the lake. i reckon there should be a post dedicated to this as im sure that chasing westlakes mully has become an addiction for many poor Adelaide souls.cheers,Jamie.

Have had great runs in the lake on tommy fillets, but I reckon using lures is the most successful, well it has been for me anyway... when you use lures for mulloway keep casting and be on the move, try all sorts of different spots, just dont sit in one single spot and keep casting, not that much success like that unless they are already there. Mulloway in the lake are hard to find the best best way is fish as much water as possible, and dont discount shallows before the drop off, got a legal in knee deep water like this the other week, and have been bricked big time a couple of times while fishing for bream with lures and those hookups were in the shallows too... look for a spot that has deep water nearby and keep on persisting, sooner or later you will get one on lure.

Thanks everyone.benny, cheers for your advice mate. Ive only had time to go out a couple of times with the lure but ive only worked from the inlet to the first beach past the houses on the eastern side. good to hear there are still mullys on the bite. went out there a few weeks back with a doz shitties from 6pm to 12:30am and had the same pair of shitties on the hooks the whole time. was a bit dissapointing.have recently perchaced a 3m depth bomber (red with silver lateral marking for day use) which is pickng up weed, might need to go shallower especialy since you often see mullys chacing mullet on the surface? i chose the red on a whim, but ive only ever seen people using silver/green lures around the lake...have you ever got them on poppers? i put in a few hours the other night just for cureousity...cheers,jamie.

shallow divers are medium divers are definitely the go especially one that perfectly imitates a small mulllet, never tried poppers but I reckon you would get them in the the lake on bass sized poppers, which resembles mullet once again. Plastics definitely a go and dont be afraid to use your bream gear if chasing the smaller fish, I got my last mulloway on a bream hardbody so dont discount that. PM me if ya want some more advice, will give u in on some more tips.

aye manI use to fish for the mullies in west lakes nearly every wkend for while but i dont anymore so il give the 3 spots where i got a few hook ups.The Footbridge on bartley terrace arcoss from the shops, there is some deep water there.Lochside drive, which also has the footbridge, have also caught some great bream here.Settlers drive, off the rocks, there are always heaps of baitfish around, if you burley up a bit.Good luck mate, FSW

hey all, thanks for your contributions. Fullysikwog - Cheers for your spots, just friday i tried at your bartly terrace footbridge spot, throwing lures off the top of the bridge for about an hour. there was a large school of mully food size mullet, a few thousand id have said, heading north under the bridge when i rocked up. makes me think that there are alot of full-bellied mullies in the lake atm...ive tried the lochside drive for bream, good size bream there bite around dusk. also, i hear mention of mullys caught presumably off of the beach to the north of that spot. one fella i spoke to said he used Lugworms. . finds them around kingston apparently, had never heard of them before that.ive checked out the settlers drive spot on G-earth only, but looks like it has similar potential to that of the inlet with the bottling up effect caused by the outlet. - will have to put some time in here.cheers again,Jamie.

Hey Jamie welcome to the forums I'm kinda new myself. yeah man chasing mullys in the lake is hard work. You should try the bridge near aami stadium using live shitties. It's a top spot for live bait. I had a massive hookup there a few weeks ago but the bugger snapped me off. make sure you have good tackle and cast away from the bridge into the shadows. IMO live bait is the best, too much hassle using squid and fillets as they get hammered by annoying little breams as Benton mentioned. Why not have a live bait out and use your second rod casting lures, that way you have both bases covered thus increasing your odds.oh and I've met some mully veterans of the lake and they advise me to fish on a full moon to new moon. Definitely something I'm going to look into but dunno if they talkin rubbish or not lol.anyhow good luck let us know how you get on.

thanks Nikhum, will have to try the aami stadium bridge some time soon. good night for it tonight, full moon and possibly this lowpressure system with a bit of rain might get them biting? who knows, pitty im sick :P.you reckon they keep out of the light? Ive heard people mention that the fishings better late at night when the cars stop and it quietens down, or this may just be a coincidence. I would have thought any mully in westlakes or the port, especialy ones hanging round bridges would be fairly accustomed to ambient urban noise, but perhaps it does effect them..cheers,jamie.

yeah must be true because when I had that big hook up it was dead quiet plus the moon was nice and full.About 6 weeks back I spotted about 4 mullys(2 big ones) cruising up and down the bridge at night around 10pm. This is interesting because they cruise where the pressure wave is and along the shadow of the bridge. For what reason I have no idea But they wouldnt even take any lures or fillets that I chucked at them. And they were they're for a good 3 hours. . But I rekon if you can see em you cant catch them. Anyway something to observe I guess.Also if you do go to the bridge and someone is already there you can try the next bridge just a bit further down the road, its just as good.Laters!

The concrete slabs that hold the bridge up in the middle, it creates a pressure wave and you can actually see the effect. water flow there is minuscule mate. Beats me why they hang around there bloody weirdos haha. I've tried lures there x-raps to sp's to no avail....yet, but thats just my luck..I was itching to go tonight too but the rain aint stopping!

• 2 weeks later...

welcome to S&H form , I to have been trying for jews but cause I live out in the bush I never thought to try W/lakes 4 them. I went out sat.wk.ago, I to didn't let the rain stop me either which is more than I say 4 my son-in-law and couple off so-called mates , who call them selfs fisher men. Fair wheather fishos will very rarely catch mullies.( so I have been told ).I to would like to thank the boys for there tips, I to will try them next time I can get down that way.Cheer WS