Tumby and Joseph banks group????

Fantastic Snapper fishing! :cheer: Watch the sounder on the way out too, as you'll pass over some fantastic ledges which are worth a drift over or two!We only had one boat with a fuel range large enough to safely get us out and back (we did the trip from Lincoln not Tumby) without carrying extra fuel reserves.

spog777 wrote:

Toatally killa fishing with everything from.......to big KG's. hell whatever u hook onto turns out to be big 99% of the time.

I caught my PB Whiting as bycatch out there on a whole pilchard and ganged 4/0's. On seeing colour I first thought it was a Snook coming up! On our trip we didn't get into the really big reds, but we did bag out and get our boat limit on legal fish quite easily.You may find this helpful: http://old.squadron.asn.au/cruising/squadweb/Anchorages/anjobank.htm

You need to talk to some of the locals, as I,ve been out there 8 times from Tumby.Caught plenty of whiting and couldn't find any snapper.The Kingys have been playing havic around the coast lineFrom my understanding that all the bigger fish are south of Spisby Is and down to Dangerous Reef, but could have been there at the wrong time.You'll need a good boat with the currents and afternoon seabreezes, it gets pretty rough.Watch out for the reef west of Partney Is. It goes from 20 mtrs to 1 mtr with no warning.I have done much better around Haystack and Seal Is myself and out wide of Althorpe Is.Like I said you need to talk to some locals as it's a big areaGoodluck

Yes ranger great read. Did not know about the black tiger snakes ouch.Thanks mog too, i do tend to agree with what you've said re samsons further south... Maybe it's the better depth hey and haystack isl. Is very very productive. Like ranger said, we discovered some good stuff on the sound and hit 50cm kgs and nearly ran out of time to even hit haystack first trip out

A mate of mine has a place on spielsby island, keeps an old surf lifesaving boat out there. We spent a day just exploring all the drops and reefs around the island all shallow water and just about all of them held snapper, nothing huge but was awesome. Also got some decent cray that weekend, one we couldnt figure out how it actually got in the pot it was so big.Some really good fishing out there thats for sure. I once took the same mate fishing locally for whiting got onto a few just legal and he was surprised we even bothered keeping them as they were too small. 40+ is just about all you see out there in KGs :laugh:

like del i also grew up there, but most of my fishing was at the group. there are reds there but i havent seen real big ones, i havent been really targeting them properly either mostly midday fishing just to get one for the weber or to give away. plenty of reef species and whiting just about anywhere there. the northern island (winceby) is almost directly out from the farm i grew up on. reevsby has lotsa big snakes so if you decide to go for a look at the homestead keep an eye out! most of our snapper fishing was done at the southern end of the group, spilsby area, but i do know that buffalo reef has some nice fish. troll around the south of kirkby for salmon if you want some fresh bait.reefs are everywhere so be carefulbest day out was when whiting limit was 60 fish a boat we beach launched at 10:30am and had a brief fish then morning smoko in homestead bay then another brief fish, during which i thought better have a count as we were going ok, and as i got to number 59 number 60 came aboard and we didnt know what to do as it was 11:45am we had our limit and we still had 4-5 hours of planned fishing up our sleeves! so we went for a swim with the seals at smiths rocks and had lunch while watching them. followed lunch by loading up on 30 odd squid before heading home early.i guess what i'm saying is that you'll catch fish just what and how many depends on the effort put in. keep one eye on your sounder and another on the water as you'll find good drops anywhere.

Thanks heaps, the response has been awesome.As always main concern will be safety so much appreciate the words of caution. One of our group is planning to write an article on our adventure, but I'll try get a decent s&h report back to repay the advice. Hope the weather gods are smiling for once.Cheers

• 1 month later...
Thanks heaps' date=' the response has been awesome.As always main concern will be safety so much appreciate the words of caution. One of our group is planning to write an article on our adventure, but I'll try get a decent s&h report back to repay the advice. Hope the weather gods are smiling for once.Cheers[/quote']Well, I resigned from work last week, and although I've taken a great opportunity elsewhere, it has ruined my Tumby trip :( :(The old man is going to be skippering the boat out to the Joseph Banks group next week with the boys, so I will try relay a report up still for anyone keen on a bit of up to date info on the area.With out a boat I'm gonna hit up a few L based spots this week end. A far cry from a big sea going adventure in unfamiliar waters, but you never know your luck on the SA shoreline ;) Cheers for the advice all the same