how you goin guys i was jus wondering if any one can give me some help of where some good spots are to chase these buggers and some good baits? i have been using a small ball sinker to a 6lb leader with a size 8 long shank hook. with tube worms but have not been able to get any. do you guys use berley because i throw a few whiting nuts out but nothing???? any suggestions would be great? cheers tp

Im going to add to this a bit, cause I suck at YFW fishing lol.Im fishing 1.5hrs before till 2hrs after low tide down at seacliff. Im using the smallest sinker I can buy and size 8 or 6 hooks with live tube worms. Now I go out fishing, catch 1 whiting EVERY time..but only the bloody one lol. Last 4 trips Ive pulled in all of 1 fish and two dozen shitties!! I figure Im doing something wrong, or Im there when the fish dont want to bite

forget seacliff and try henley / grange / tennyson / semaphore the rig you are using is right , i use a size 6 hook running sinker rig , 1 hour before high is ample and fish into the night , i have found they like it once the sun goes down and a bit of wind puts em on the bite , dead flat calm conditions make them a bit timid on the bite. FRESH and i mean fresh , non stinking tubies are the bait to use , i found if they have that stink to em even oif they are still live , the yfw dont like em as much. Dont cast out far , they are right at your feet.

Had my first real crack recently and pulled 11 first up. Sight casting only. I swear black and blue it was the 1.5 hours of getting nippers before that did the trick. They smashed they compared to anything else. Dynabait and freshly pumped beach worms did get a couple but nothing like nippers. They were woofing them in that much most were gut hooked were they were sucking on the worms. Makes sense when you think how they would eat...like they say..think like a fish !!

i know exzactley where your coming from tp ive been trying too get a half decent feed of them this summer too no real result keep gettin 1 and then lucky if i get a touch after that,although today i just picked up some live beach worms from anglers choice and i plan on giving them a go somewhere down south tomorrow afternoon if anyones interested in having a crack & hopefully the live worms pay off. ive been fishing some of the sand pockets in amongst some of the reefs down south as the tides been rising and dropping but still just gettin 1 fish and i can see a whole school of them from my vantage point grrrr fishing isnt a sport its a form of self torture lmfao. MM

Ive been fishing for them pretty often this year with reasonable success. I use a standard whiting rig with a 15 gr pyramid sinker and one hook with two red beads. all this on 10ld leader. ive tried the running sinler ring but i find this much more effective and ive not hook one in the gut yet this year. If you use tube worms dig your own if you can - soo much better and in 30 min you have enough for 2 sessions.

very much the same as tp just a size 8 long shank with small ball sinker i was using a leader of around 2ft but found they just kept picking it off before any decent hits so i shortened it back to around 1ft n seemed too feel better (when i get a hit that is lol ) guess its just a matter of finding a decent school and not spooking them too much i even tried basicaly skull draggin em in as quick as i could in hope of not spookin the rest but that didnt seem too go to well .MM

Mick, i have found the red beads really do nothing extra for YFW, unlike the KG.MM i started off going light like everyone suggested (maybe a split shot) but i found a running ball sinker best,helps to get a bit more tension on the line. and u use about a 2ft leader.First time out i got stuff all, because i normally use lures so i was busy throwing poppers over the school, while the guys where cleaning up.I have learnt the lesson now, running sinker, live worm = YFW.

Had my first real crack recently and pulled 11 first up. Sight casting only. I swear black and blue it was the 1.5 hours of getting nippers before that did the trick. They smashed they compared to anything else. Dynabait and freshly pumped beach worms did get a couple but nothing like nippers. They were woofing them in that much most were gut hooked were they were sucking on the worms. Makes sense when you think how they would eat...like they say..think like a fish !!

CAN NOT beat nippers, infact everytime I've cleaned YFW, the most distinctive/recognizable gut content, has been nippers, sometimes half nipper bodies with intact claw even (and that's when I've been using poppers or tube worm).That said I rarely use nippers, because apart from being an idiot, I'm also lazy lol. So a couple of tips;On the flats, the rising to high tide is what you want, and you can often see their feeding marks too. I like the higher parts of the tide most places except if the runout has little creek entrances firing. Generally can't beat a big dawn high tide.When using worms, I try for tube worms or bungums. I use the size 6 longshank and thread the worm on like I would a plastic, with at least 2 thirds of the worm dangling below the hook (it wafts around nicely in the water). Oh and only around 30-40cm mono or fluro trace (4-6lb) below a tiny swivel separating the 6lb Chrystal fireline mainline.With a popper, use a translucent color (mimicking a nipper that way). Use the smallest little popper you can get because anything of size will spook em. Work the popper really gently and if you see a flash giving chase, do not pause or speed up, just real slow with occational little jerk (just enough that it doesn't quite splash). I've also worked out the poppers are good for flats work only. As a general rule only give em a go if the water is knee depth or less.Also burley works really well, but it's a double edged sword and if YFW are about, shitties and puffers may be around, as soon as you're unlucky enough to attract/catch one shitty, amillion will get your bait before the YFW have a chance, same as puffers. If using a $25 popper, you do not want a puffer to come and bite through line! They love poppers and bite chunks out of the plastic even!Anyway, hope my rambling helps.

thats the worms i got live bungums back home we just call em beach worms, but yeah i think ive got the rig side of things pritty much soughted now all i gotta do is find the fish .....oh if only that was always the easy part lol. cheers for the help though fellas, ill try giving em another crack down south here and if i still get a big doghnut i think ill have too employ the tactis of some of the resident yfw kings we have around here, for this weekend though ill just too the local side of things n cross my fingers . cheers,MM

im about half as silly as you with the nippers tp i know how too pump n so fourth just not where too get them round here although i do remember a certain mr southie mentioning something too me a couple of months back so i might have tii hit him up 1 day where as back home in a place called the shoalhaven river in my mates tinny you could pull up virtually any sand flat on low tide and pump enough nippers for a good fish with 4 blokes in less then an hour.

oh and this mornings session well lets say ill be feelin that 1 tomorrow after climbing the stairs at south port and then doing the stairs just before moana beach twice and the bit of a hill on the south side of moana aswell but none the less while my legs are still working and i have live worms im going too head out again and give sellicks area a try fingers crossed i find more then 1 of these fish at a time before winter. oh and a stoopid question for ya's i keep hearing about these "shitties" are they the pain in the ass little st/ tommies that kept stealing my bait cause back home we dont have those and id rather know what im talkin about if i ever use the term .cheers , MM

oh and this mornings session well lets say ill be feelin that 1 tomorrow after climbing the stairs at south port and then doing the stairs just before moana beach twice and the bit of a hill on the south side of moana aswell but none the less while my legs are still working and i have live worms im going too head out again and give sellicks area a try fingers crossed i find more then 1 of these fish at a time before winter. oh and a stoopid question for ya's i keep hearing about these "shitties" are they the pain in the ass little st/ tommies that kept stealing my bait cause back home we dont have those and id rather know what im talkin about if i ever use the term .cheers ' date=' MM[/quote']shitties are commonly known as trumpeters

thats a bonus m8 i again tried for some yfw with the usual story of 1 bloody fish at this rate another 10 trips il have enough too feed my fami;ly once lol.nice job on the flatty i havent even got a legal one of thsoe since moving too s.a .

lol well you know what they say give a man a fish he eats for a day teach him to fish he eats every day.ha ha :woohoo: