leccy motor friendly areas?

after trial running my leccy boat set up in westlakes over the weekend AFTER checking council website for no seeming restrictions on using leccy motor there?,was having a ball quietly drifting past the pontoons chasing small jews and bream. was about midnight,full moon,perfectly calm with a little wind, was absolutly peacefull, then out comes a middle aged man from his waterfront home and starts yelling at us to f off and started spitting at us over and over from the waters edge, i could not believe his outright behaviour. he terrified the bloke that was fishing with me and after trying to say to him we were just fishing he just kept yelling at the top of his lungs to f off and kept spitting again. out of pure fear of further aggitating the obviously seriously mentally disturbed resident of this beautiful area, off we went, back down into another direction. ten minutes later some police officers come over to us at the banks edge wanting to know if what we were doing. we replied fishing, they looked into our inflatable boat, said we were doing nothing wrong and to just stay off the peoples properties, to which i replied we were not even close to them. and off they went. we continued fishing a little while, but in retrospect have decided to not go back to west lakes, although it is the nearest area to run the neat little set up. This mans behaviour was so aggresive i dont know how fishing could anger someone so quickly. i was truly shocked.The point is, i would like to ask if anyone here could point us in the direction of some friendly fishing areas to let the trolling motor stretch its legs?thankyou in advance for any replies,regardsblack jew

Your lucky you didn't cop a fine mate, Motors including electric motors are not allowed in west lakes. I had an interesting discussion with a member of the charles sturt council. He said he didn'e see anything wrong with it but if you were questioned and fined not to mention him or the conversation.

g'day weaver, i am more than happy to obide by regulations if that is the case, and i did check website and it had nothing on there regarding leccys that i could find. I will can any further trips there, just to avoid people like that. it's the aggresive outburst from the resident that has me dumbfounded. i will just keep looking for other places to stalk jewies that allow leccy motors.thanks for reply mate

In short, you aren't allowed to fish in the lake from any powered craft. But that bloke sounds nothing short of a dickhead, and one of many. I live on the lake and have dealt with people like that so many times its a joke. Come out of their houses screaming at you swearing, threatening, taking photos etc and no matter how reasonable you are, how many times you explain you are releasing fish and that legally you are fine to do what you're doing (I mainly fish in a yak) or what you say its the same. Took my little brother out for the first time to fish topwaters last summer and he nailed 6 fish in as many casts. I was looking to be a great session until a bloke storms out of his house, starts yelling at us and then threatens to spray me and my (at the time) 10 year old brother with a hose. Having copped a mouthful the day before from a house two doors down, i told him "avoiding getting banned..." and that if he sprayed my brother with the hose I would shove it down his throat. He went back inside, my little brother continued to catch and release fish and we had a great session. I am by no means saying to be a dickhead to residents, nor that the law doesn't matter but at the end of the day being nice and listening doesn't make a difference. You will never be allowed to fish in there with a motor powered craft because there is nothing the council/government will gain. The 'too loud' excuse gets wearing when you watch a pair of dragon boats, a dozen people in each, getting screamed at by a bloke with a megaphone. Great when they do that at night. Not to mention the rowing club races. Did i mention they can use outboards? Oh they can strap three to a pontoon to push that along as well. But the council have nothing to gain by allowing people to use the same motored craft to fish there, nor do most residents have anything to gain by agreeing to let legislation change.So go for it, nothings going to change. Sending a pm now to let you know a couple things, I live across the lake from where lake patrol launch and can guarantee you won't get fined if you fish smart.

It must be the contaminated soil around westies, that turns people that live there into crazies. I've had things thrown at me, abuse screamed, threats made when fishing westlakes from my yak. Even when we were doing water quality testing for the council every month in a Stacer Aluminum with a 60 on the back, we still copped it. We had a permit to be on the lake in a motor boat, and had been doing it for years. Don't people get the picture, after seeing a boat on the lake every month for the last 5 years, wouldn't you think that they were allowed to? We still had residents screaming out "No Motor boats allowed" Even had council chase us down twice in their boat to see what we were doing. They knew it was us and we had permission, but had to be seen doing something about checking it out. One resident said they saw us pulling up crab nets. We actually were dragging a phyto net to collect micro organisms for analysis. Now i've been talking about this, i really miss doing the westlakes run. After doing it for so long you get so used to doing it. Used to love the look on peoples faces as you slowly cruised by them. You could try in the Port River with the leccy, around Birkenhead. I would suggest that you don't try outer harbor when the tide in rushing out. Very strong currents.Cheers guys,Sam :f

Hey Matt.... It's good to hear from one of westlakes "sensible" residents. I don't know for sure, but maybe the contaminated soil IS effecting some of the locals.I have had a few odd characters start raving at me. I can only imagine the fury of a cranky local seeing someone fishing with a leccy on the back hahahahahaI think eventually, with enough irrational thought, Delfin Island may one day gain independance from the main land :P :P :P

I think eventually' date=' with enough irrational thought, Delfin Island may one day gain independance from the main land :P :P :P[/quote']:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Funnily enough, even after hearing it so many times from others, I've never actually been abused, and only had friendly words with residents, asking how the fishing is or commenting on the weather.Then again, since having the lobotomy I find the world really is far less stressful and a much happier place! :)

_matt_,samrota,jack,ranger and piranha, thanks guys for your replies.much appreciated.some residents that pass me while im land based fishing at west lakes seem ok and nice enough, but this one was just unbelievable. never seen anything like it in my life. i almost laughed at the stupidity of him but thoughti better not or he might jump in the lake and swim after us ahahahaI just hapened to stumble across him before you guys did hahah leccy motors are virtually silent,clean and beautiful little motors, i dont understand why they are frowned upon. i have an 86lbs thrust and use it on its lowest setting and you cant hear it at all. its magic.