Loosing salmon at the waters edge

Single hook by far in my opinion. Changed to them a couple of season back and can only recall dropping 2 fish now in the surf obviously due to bad hook setting. I prefer the owner style assist hooks with the kevlar loop as it's extremely difficult for them to shake it loose. Not the cheapest but catch rate makes up for that!

Trying to pull a fish in against the outgoing wave is often the problem, and this may be the case here ? Try using a bit less pressure on the fish as its gets in close, and let the waves wash the fish to you, but be prepared to give some line as the waves go out too.It may take 2-3 times doing this before you get the fish high n dry ;)

G"day mate,some good tips there from the guys B) Going against pretty much everything you get taught about keeping the rod tip up,an old guy once showed when using lures for them, to lower the rod tip right down with Salmon once you get them half way in.It stops them jumping and throwing the hook,I was sceptical at first but gave it a crack and it works a treat.Cheers B)

G"day mate' date='some good tips there from the guys B) Going against pretty much everything you get taught about keeping the rod tip up,an old guy once showed when using lures for them, to lower the rod tip right down with Salmon once you get them half way in.It stops them jumping and throwing the hook,I was sceptical at first but gave it a crack and it works a treat.Cheers B)[/quote']I tend to do that on the whole retreive when luring Cal, thinking it helps keep the lure and line in the water more, rather than having the wave crests lift it as much ;)

G'day.Great topic!I wouldn't be using circle hooks on lures. I'm fairly sure that hookups would be harder to achieve using circles as opposed to a standard style single.I've got some lures with trebles, some with stinger/assist hooks, and some with single octopus hooks and I honestly find downfalls with each method.Trebles seem to get more hookups but more fish are lost, The stinger/assist hook sometimes fouls on the leader or rear hook,And I find sometimes that a lone rear hook gets less hookups but, as others have said, the fish is less likely to get off.Cheers.