Custom rod holders....

Do you fishos custom make your own rod holders?I made some up for beach fishing out of 316 grade angle iron, round bar and tube....They can be pushed straight in unlike PVC pipe at times that require a hammer. They hold extremely well too and will last a lifetime.This one below I made when I was 19, 15 years ago now.TB11022012114.jpg11022012115.jpg

Looks as solid as a rock! Obviously u don't have to lug your gear over sand by foot!

They are not that heavy to be honest. only 3mm thick angle, tube can be less than 1.. if you want and the rod for the top and tube stopper could be 5mm as well.This would reduce weight even more.

Any probs making that out of alloy ?

You can but it needs to be thicker materials. Especially the angle! You will be surprised how much stress is placed on these rod holders with a wire sinker holding against a strong swell, rip and/or side current.Then there is seaweed!

I'd be ordering one

I no longer work in my trade (greener pastures ;) )and don't really have access to steel and welders these days.Need to get my shed up first and take it from there. Easy to make and I am sure someone on here would be willing?There is no patent on this stuff.... :P TB

I'm an ex Sparky and have a shed full of 40 and 50 mm orange (underground grade) conduit off cuts which are wonderfully light, water, salt and sand proof and if you cut a long angle, on the end which goes into the sand, you can gently rock it back and forth in the surf and it will effortlessly go to the depth you want it at B) No sharp edges to scratch your gear and a quick swill in the salty surf at the end of your session and it is back to its original condition with no corrosion worries when storing B)

I'm an ex Sparky and have a shed full of 40 and 50 mm orange (underground grade) conduit off cuts which are wonderfully light' date=' water, salt and sand proof and if you cut a long angle, on the end which goes into the sand, you can gently rock it back and forth in the surf and it will effortlessly go to the depth you want it at B) No sharp edges to scratch your gear and a quick swill in the salty surf at the end of your session and it is back to its original condition with no corrosion worries when storing B)[/quote']I used to use them until one session at salt creek. The eagle rays were running hard with a side current and the plastic just didn't hold up.Never had a problem with the marine grade stainless holding or corroding.TB

At Salt creek we use star droppers, hammered right down then tape the pvc tubes to this.Its gotta be maximum sturdiness down there,hook on to 20 kilos of drifting weed in that rip..combined to the soft shell grit and you can either get an unattented rod spooled or worse dragged in.The ones tackle bags made there look great,but for salt creek the only modifaction would be to make them longer,and have the actual spike about a metre long.As to get 50 cms + down into the shell grit.Very nice stands indeed tacklebags,way better than off the shelf garbage. B)

for guys that use the pvc,i made some longer ones up out of the heavier walled pvc.you can also glue the plastic rod holder inserts that you can purchase from the shops which are designed for stailess steel rocket launchers.this protects the reel and also a bit of shock absorbtion when you hammer them in,i also use a bit of timber to protect the insert,works a treat,had mine a few years and still going strong. ;)