Imported Cockles

Wonder if any one else seen Ch 7 news last night (Sun) with a story the imported cockles might carry nasties and could affect fishing ?They did show dead pilchards, I think that might have happened in WA a couple years ago?There was at least one tackle story owner who stated that he would not be selling imported cockles.

Guest dabilda

Wonder if any one else seen Ch 7 news last night (Sun) with a story the imported cockles might carry nasties and could affect fishing ?They did show dead pilchards, I think that might have happened in WA a couple years ago?There was at least one tackle story owner who stated that he would not be selling imported cockles.

The Pilchard disease happened about 10 - 15 yrs ago, almost wiped out the WA pilchard stocks. That's when I first saw sauries in the shops, they were imported as a replacement. The imported cockles were discussed in another thread maybe 6 mths ago. If memory serves me correctly I think it was Ranger that made a ph call to find out if they had been quarantined correctly and we could use them safely with the knowledge any risk of disease had been eradicated and he was assured they were. I had the TV on but was on the phone when that report was on and only caught bits of it, but there was a biologist that explained what needed to be done to clear them of any disease. I'll assume it was being done but would be interested to hear from someone that did see the report properly what was actually said and what is being done.Would be a good idea to search the 7 news website, the report may still be in there. If I get time later and find it I'll post it, but in the meantime if someone else sees it, please post it.

I actually contacted fisheries and Canberra awhile back to find out a bit more about this!There was concern at the time that some cockles were being imported into the country as "tablefare" but this tablefare was being diverted to the bait market illegally and without proper treatment. Fisheries were investigating.I have been assured by someone within the tackle industry here, that the cockles WE are seeing here have been imported as bait, and have been properly irradiated!

I saw the segment, Bob from SA Bait was on there and explained that the imported cockles had to be treated which they (SA Bait) actually do, but said that some may come onto the market untreated via other sources.

That's very true, I contacted SA Bait this morning and have had the information flyer sent through that I will post in the Industry News section tonight

Has anyone caught a fish on them yet?Heard a lot of talk about them everything except any report of an actual fish being caught LOL.I see they are everywhere for sale now,even spotted them in Rays Outdoors bait freezer the other day.Cheers

They catch fish the same as any cockle, but I still prefer the texture of Goolwa cockles.

I don't wish to start a controversy but have to let you all know that we had a visit from Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services on wednesday of this week they are checking all shops to see who is selling these imported cockles they checked our front freezers and also our sacks in the back freezers to make sure that we weren't hiding any imports , they were fairly close lipped on what they are up to but it beggars the question if they are ok then why are they acting on it at all?

I don't wish to start a controversy but have to let you all know that we had a visit from Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services on wednesday of this week they are checking all shops to see who is selling these imported cockles they checked our front freezers and also our sacks in the back freezers to make sure that we weren't hiding any imports , they were fairly close lipped on what they are up to but it beggars the question if they are ok then why are they acting on it at all?

Now that has to get everyone thinking.I know one of our local tackle stores (non sponsor here) is mixing them in with local cockles and selling them at full price. I was spewin! I was just lookin for a bit of 'R'elaxation & 'A'ngling.

I've caught fish on the imported ones, but they are a piddly bait on the whole and a fair bit mushier than the Goolwa variety. On size 4 whiting hooks, 2 of them are required to make a half decent bait. They look like they would be a decent sized bait based on the size of the shell, but that is simply not the case. Give me the good ol' Goolwa cockle anyday - even the little ones around the 3.5cm size limit - over these crap imported ones. Cheers,GH

This is just for information,and may not be complete,but the following is a list of shops that I know have stocks,and backup supplies,of Goolwa cockles;The Harbour Kiosk,O'Sullivan Beach boat ramp,Todd's Tackle,Brighton Road,Bitewell Fishing,Anzac Highway,Binks Marine,West Beach boat ramp,St Kilda Tackle and Tucker,St Kilda,Got One,Stepney,Sportfishing Scene,Cavan,Normanville Service Station,Normanville,The majority,but not all tackle/bait outlets on lower and some on upper Yorke Peninsula also have good supplies of Goolwa's

We still have stocks of Goolwa Cockles and we also have the Imported Cockles.Some of the bad weather we have had has also helped conserve the Cockle stocks.TipWe have a couple of customers who only fish with nibble tip rods from their boats for Whiting are getting their 12 fish each using 16 cockles. Most people think it is Leather Jackets pinching their bait but it is the Whiting. Use a lighter rod and you will see and feel the bites and also conserve your Cockles.Compleat AnglerCopper Coast Marine & TackleWallaroo and Moonta

We too have Goolwa's & plenty of em', also imports reluctantly, didn't want to take imports but got sick & tired of clients crying about the price of the local produce & damn near cutting their wrists at the counter. Imports will be here to stay guys as the next season quota is deemed to be slashed. Last season's quota total was 1100 tonnes, less than 700 tonnes were harvested & who only knows how much of that went for food, you bet this years allocation won't be higher than last. You all should questioning which supplier is supplying the food market, they are wholelly responsible for the price drive & in turn partially responsible for the supply dramas. NOTE: OUR SUPPLIER DOES NOT SUPPLY FOOD INDUSTRY.Finatic

• 2 years later...