More news on super trawler!

I guess when it comes to politics you gotta do what you gotta do to get in and stay in power, if that means stabbing someone in the back or lying to the people that voted you in then so be it, but they should always remember that what goes round comes round and sooner or latter we will have the final say.But lets not forget this is a fishing site and we must not pollute it with bloody politics.Am heading to Mildura and surounding areas on Wednesday for a week,will do a bit fishing and exploring and might even go to afew of the clubs up there and try my luck on those :c machines..Have a good week, yall hear me now .KHOMBI :laugh:

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quotas,quotas quotas,everybody is talking about quotas. Lets just forget about quotas for a minute and think about who is going to catch what and who is going to make all the money out of this.If ther

JUST GREAT to hear that a super trawler is allowed to fish off Australias coastline!Now why should i comply with any Australian fishing regulation , will they have bag limits or size limits the same

Four Corners was very interesting and at the same time very alarming. I have very little faith in AFMA now to do what is in the best interest of sustainable fishing, i have even less faith that it is

Posted Images

WOW...who would of guessed???????http://tasmaniantimesnorth.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-magiris-and-seafish-tasmania-are.htmlTB

I didnt know sarcasm was in your nature TB :lol:
That depends on the 'nature' of the topic AFF.... :P What makes me laugh is that the proponents of this bovine excreta all claimed their support based on this boat being run by an 'Australian company'????Just like DEWNR and marine parks. Its not what they say that matters, its what they don't say! :angry: TB
TBFurther to the TassieTimesNorth link on the previous page, a little more detail - one can see exactly what they`ve done;http://seafishpelagic.com.au/The Margiris is being operated by a joint venture between Seafish Tasmania and Seafish Tasmania Pelagic, a fully owned subsidiary of Parlevliet & Van der Plas BV, which is a long established Dutch fishing company owned by the Parlevliet and the Van der Plas families.Seafish Tasmania is based in Triabunna, Tasmania and has operated purse seiners and mid-water trawlers in the Small Pelagic Fishery catching jack mackerel and redbait. In 2012, Seafish Tasmania was assigned 17,800 tonnes of catch quotas by the Australian Fisheries Management Authority under the Small Pelagic Fishery Statutory Management Plan.Seafish Tasmania Pelagic is the company that owns the Margiris. A joint venture between Seafish Tasmania and Seafish Tasmania Pelagic has been set up to employ the efficient, state of the art technology in the Margiris to produce high quality frozen fish for human consumption, utilizing the Seafish Tasmania quota in the Small Pelagic Fishery.The joint venture is committed to long term sustainable fishing in Australian waters.Nothing to see here folks, it`s all good, everything above board, move along now...
I guess when it comes to politics you gotta do what you gotta do to get in and stay in power' date=' if that means stabbing someone in the back or lying to the people that voted you in then so be it, but they should always remember that what goes round comes round and sooner or latter we will have the final say.But lets not forget this is a fishing site and we must not pollute it with bloody politics.Am heading to Mildura and surounding areas on Wednesday for a week,will do a bit fishing and exploring and might even go to afew of the clubs up there and try my luck on those :c machines..Have a good week, yall hear me now .KHOMBI :laugh:[/quote']Buy unfortunately this situation is totally based around politics and cash grabbing, theres no hiding from the fact.When it comes to discussion on this subject with due respect, politics talk is hard to avoid, considering the very core of this evil is politically based. B)

Standards, what standards, do we not have people here with the correct qualifcations to check net sizes and dimentions or are we not allowed to. If they were any good at it over there they would not have run out of fish in those other countries now would they, I would have thought that would be the job of the AUST DEPT OF FISHERIES or arent they qualified to handle such things. :whistle:

Oh, I see...Pt Lincoln...fishing Australian waters generically...How long does it take to create a company subsidiary entity, I wonder? I can see it now;Seafish SA Pelagic Industries, subsidiary of Seafish Tasmania Pelagic, subsidiary of...director`s initials are GG strangely enough...reflagged as an Australian vessel...renamed "FV City of Port Lincoln" or something else with a South Oz flavour."Colonel Light", anyone?Nothing to see folks, move along y`all...

Oh' date=' I see...Pt Lincoln...fishing Australian waters generically...How long does it take to create a company subsidiary entity, I wonder? I can see it now;Seafish SA Pelagic Industries, subsidiary of Seafish Tasmania Pelagic, subsidiary of...director`s initials are GG strangely enough...reflagged as an Australian vessel...renamed "FV City of Port Lincoln" or something else with a South Oz flavour."Colonel Light", anyone?Nothing to see folks, move along y`all...[/quote']If it makes PT Lincoln its home name it 'Paul Caica' he hasn't come out with any media releases telling the public why this boat needs to be excluded?TB :P :woohoo: :whistle:

I do not see it as a "small" win......Due to Tony Burke reffering to the fact that it is an Australian company ( overseas owned ) that is bringing the trawler in. Also , as Tony said, they already have a allowable catch........I seem to recalled that it was about 5,000 tonnes.......The "Australian" company applied to the Aust. Government, to raise their catch limit, which was incressed to 10,000 tonnes........and since has been increased to 18,000 tonnes. That is only one load for that trawler, as I have heard that it carries 19,000 tonnes fully loaded

He has told ABC's Q&A program he does not have the authority to stop it fishing in Australian waters.But he says he has managed to secure agreement to impose stringent conditions on the trawler. "Under national environmental law I don't have the power to block it all together," he said.

Burke has the power to shut down 70 trawlers across OZ as part of the Commonwealth marine parks campaign but he has none to stop this thing?????What a load of rubbish.These lies make me mad as hell!http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-03/burke-cant-block-super-trawler-from-australian-waters/4241194TB

The boat has been sitting in lincoln for several days now and nothing has been done in the form of a protest. Apart from the first day when greenpeace tried to board it, it has been quiet as a mouse at the lincoln wharf.You wouldn't even know this boat was there unless you could see it.All this hoo har around Australia about it and yet nothing has been organised to have it booted out of Lincoln.I originally thought they'd be thousands of greenpeace activists coming to Lincoln to protest but nothing...not a peep.I doubt complaining via keyboards will do much.

The boat has been sitting in lincoln for several days now and nothing has been done in the form of a protest. Apart from the first day when greenpeace tried to board it' date=' it has been quiet as a mouse at the lincoln wharf.You wouldn't even know this boat was there unless you could see it.All this hoo har around Australia about it and yet nothing has been organised to have it booted out of Lincoln.I originally thought they'd be thousands of greenpeace activists coming to Lincoln to protest but nothing...not a peep.I doubt complaining via keyboards will do much.[/quote']Apparently things are just getting organised Nanman, don't jump the gun mate.There is a rally in Adelaide today at 4pm.Then a boat run along North Terrace planned for possibly Saturday. (crows v swans) bad timing????TB

Mr Tony Burke fed minster for the labour party announced on the Leon Viner talk back radio this morming that the Margiris is now OWNED AND OPERATED BY SEAFISH TASMANIA., they suposedly bought the ship some time ago to operate instead of running 40 or so smaller vessels and does it come as a suprise that the fed goverment cannot and i repeat cannot stop the vessel from fishing wherever they want to, all they can do is monitor what she catches and make sure that she does not destroy any by catch she may encounter in her nets according to Mr Bourke. If there is seals or dolphins present they can make her move a distance of 50 kl away to avoid such bycatchsThey will have, according to Mr Bourke some sort of fishery inspectors on board to ensure that every thing is done according to law.Should be on the news tonight MAYBE.wonder how much they paid for it? Doubt they would get their money back in one season im thinking and you know what that means dont you KHOMBI

The mongrel government is going to stop its own people from fishing in its waters via marine parks so i find it very hard to believe that the Government can't stop (if it wants to) this industrial behemoth from fishing in Commonwealth waters.What rubbish from Tony Burke.

Khombi

Mr Tony Burke fed minster for the labour party announced on the Leon Viner talk back radio this morming that the Margiris is now OWNED AND OPERATED BY SEAFISH TASMANIA.

The best lies are those which are based on half truths, as someone said a long time ago. Burke is either being extremely "inventive" with the truth, or he has been inadequately and extremely incompetently briefed. I find it very difficult to believe it`s the latter given what can be found by Joe Average with a brief google. The Margiris has not changed hands.From page 13 of this thread;The Margiris is being operated by a joint venture between Seafish Tasmania and Seafish Tasmania Pelagic, a fully owned subsidiary of Parlevliet & Van der Plas BV, which is a long established Dutch fishing company owned by the Parlevliet and the Van der Plas families.Seafish Tasmania is based in Triabunna, Tasmania and has operated purse seiners and mid-water trawlers in the Small Pelagic Fishery catching jack mackerel and redbait. In 2012, Seafish Tasmania was assigned 17,800 tonnes of catch quotas by the Australian Fisheries Management Authority under the Small Pelagic Fishery Statutory Management Plan.Seafish Tasmania Pelagic is the company that owns the Margiris. A joint venture between Seafish Tasmania and Seafish Tasmania Pelagic has been set up to employ the efficient, state of the art technology in the Margiris to produce high quality frozen fish for human consumption, utilizing the Seafish Tasmania quota in the Small Pelagic Fishery.The joint venture is committed to long term sustainable fishing in Australian waters.BTW - I find it almost inconceivable that the Margiris would have come all this way without very high level "assurances" having been provided to the "companies" involved.More than a little networking behind the scenes, at a guess... :whistle:

Part 1,,,, can only tell you what i heard Mr Bourke tell Mr Viner and Leon repeated the question several times and it was the same answer each time,as you say he may be misinformed,Part 2,,,,he also stated that the goverment does not have the power to prevent this ship from fishing in our waters only the power to prevent it from taking a bycatch and, or killing seals and other sealife.Part 3,,,,If as he stated, they cannot stop this ship from fishing in our waters, does this mean that they cannot stop us from fishing in marine parks....interesting scenario isnt it.one law for all i say :unsure:;):clap: KHOMBI

Sent this yesterday and forwarded it on to other pollies as well.

To the Hon Minister Gail Gago, I write with all due respect but on a topic that I find unacceptable. As a recreational fisher who has a love for the ocean, I cannot accept the accomodation of the Margiris super trawler being based in South Australia or wider Australian ports to fish our waters based on the current known situation globally. While I respect the strict conditions applied on the quota and bycatch, I beleive this form of fishing has never been sustainable before and simply doesn't have the capability to remain so through sheer capacity at more local levels. I have serious concerns as to the onflowing effects created by such fishing practices as expressed in this linked article about the history of these trawlers on southern hemisphere jack mackeral populations. http://www.theage.com.au/environment/conservation/where-have-all-the-fish-gone-20120129-1qntz.html Indigenous groups, conservation groups, recreational/commercial fishers and the wider general public all have expressed their disgust at the decision to allow this process to proceed against public will. This issue has seen recent public protests nationwide from the above stated sectors of society and it should be taken seriously by our State and Federal elected members. I call on you to respect the democratic principals this country was founded on by acting on behalf of your constituents in South Australia. If Seafood Tasmania seek to make our state the place of residence for the Margiris trawler as expressed in some media today, but the public of South Australia call for a ban on the berthing of the Margiris within our state then I would appreciate your best efforts to make this happen. Regards (Concerned recreational angler)

I just noticed that Mnister Caica if quoted correctly here may just become our best friend????

Meanwhile, the base for the trawler remains uncertain after widespread protests in Tasmania caused Seafish to reconsider Devonport.Its current berth at Port Lincoln also appears under threat after South Australian environment minister Paul Caica told parliament the ship would not be granted permission to operate in the state's waters.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/trawler-operator-pleased-with-conditions/story-fn3dxiwe-1226464420335TB

But wait there's more, a whole lot more :dry: http://www.publicintegrity.org/2012/01/20/7934/infographic-aboard-lafayette

Its current berth at Port Lincoln also appears under threat after South Australian environment minister Paul Caica told parliament the ship would not be granted permission to operate in the state's waters.TB

Isn't it working in commonwealth waters making the S.A. Waters bit mute anyway TB ? :unsure: I'd rather see the Stevedores etc simply refuse to service the ship ;)