More news on super trawler!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quotas,quotas quotas,everybody is talking about quotas. Lets just forget about quotas for a minute and think about who is going to catch what and who is going to make all the money out of this.If ther

JUST GREAT to hear that a super trawler is allowed to fish off Australias coastline!Now why should i comply with any Australian fishing regulation , will they have bag limits or size limits the same

Four Corners was very interesting and at the same time very alarming. I have very little faith in AFMA now to do what is in the best interest of sustainable fishing, i have even less faith that it is

Posted Images

Thanks TB and Del.My comments on the "selective Journalism" point was from a very sceptical angle.Obviously theyre not going to show the real numbers if they can help it :whistle: From a Commercial point of view' date=' I can understand their wanting to keep going, but with the growing tide of people looking at sustainability issues, ships like that just dont belong in a modern world, imo anyway :)[/quote']isten to this video on said topic.TBhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/video/2012/apr/02/industrial-fishing-west-africa-video

Looks like the next :c fight will start now with the owners lawyers trying to sue the Federal Gov for losses incurred ?Assuming they can find no way of justifying keeping the ship here, yiu have to wonder where it will go next. It's never over 'til the fat lady sings hey !

isten to this video on said topic.TBhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/video/2012/apr/02/industrial-fishing-west-africa-video

Not quite what I was getting at TB, but neverthe-less, applicable and relevant also :) .It seems there's a fair bit of foreign owned ships being registered in other countries going on to maybe exploit legal loopholes ?The commentary had me thinking about the Piracy off the Somalian coast b4 it was even really mentioned, and guess what !?http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/poverty-matters/2012/apr/03/overfishing-foreigners-senegal-fishermen-piracy?intcmp=239

love this quote from that link AFF" Until now we haven't taken any direct action against the foreign fishermen. Once we took the captain from one of the vessels and we beat him around the balls."

Ha....I wouldn't trade mine in for any fish!AFF that link you gave just shows how arragant the Dutch are in complaining about us complaining in advocacy of our stocks and national soveriegnty.These countries are clearly a bunch of environmental criminals for plundering every ocean they can politically and physically over power.Anyone got a torpedo...anyone?TB :sick:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/super-trawler-banned-from-fishing-in-australian-waters-by-federal-government/story-fndo1sx1-1226473643263"The minister also said AFMA had informed the government in the past 24 hours of new legal advice that the authority had not been correctly implementing some aspects of the fisheries act."From this link id really like to get a clarification of this part..

The Dutch government has become involved in Australia's plan to stop a super trawler fishing in Commonwealth waters, with an embassy official saying The Hague was "cautiously" following developments.Dutch deputy prime minister Maxime Verhagen, who is also the country's economic affairs minister, rang Australia's Fisheries Minister Joe Ludwig last night.The embassy official said that because a Dutch company was involved in the debate, Mr Verhagen wanted an explanation about Australia's plans to change fishing laws.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-12/government-facing-roadblock-over-super-trawler-laws/4256344#commentsI think its about time to send our ministers another round of emails?The Dutch can get stuffed.TB

Gerry Greens comment of " It feels like a thitd world reaction to me" was interesting ! :blink: Is he trying to shame the government into thinking that if we dont go ahead with supporting the trawler we are somehow second rate , when if we did let it fish here, without accurate science and data on fish stocks, breeding cycles etc, we take a huge risk of having a Third World Country fishery left ourselves ?Thats how I read his comments anyway !Speaking of " The Science " while Im hardly a scienist myself, I wonder if any research has been put into the Redbaits breeding patterns, and how huge volumes taken at once would affect their recruitment, as has been done with the Snapper Fishery here in SA ?While Im sure that every effort is made by the people concerned to have some accuracy,Im curious as to how any Biomass figures are worked out, given the schools of these fish are apparently very mobile :huh::unsure: It would certainly mess their figures up if they counted the same schools more than once !

my GFs Dutch.. ive told her i only caught one pike.. its not fair she sends this monster across here.. she can keep her stupid boats..

lol Del :lol:
Gerry Greens comment of " It feels like a thitd world reaction to me" was interesting ! :blink: Is he trying to shame the government into thinking that if we dont go ahead with supporting the trawler we are somehow second rate ' date=' when [u']if we did [/u]let it fish here, without accurate science and data on fish stocks, breeding cycles etc, we take a huge risk of having a Third World Country fishery left ourselves ?Thats how I read his comments anyway !Speaking of " The Science " while Im hardly a scienist myself, I wonder if any research has been put into the Redbaits breeding patterns, and how huge volumes taken at once would affect their recruitment, as has been done with the Snapper Fishery here in SA ?While Im sure that every effort is made by the people concerned to have some accuracy,Im curious as to how any Biomass figures are worked out, given the schools of these fish are apparently very mobile :huh::unsure: It would certainly mess their figures up if they counted the same schools more than once !quote]Well said AFF...The fisheries management deficiencies which result in unacceptable outcomes for Australian communities and environmental food chains result from stock assessment gaps and changes in the equipment used in the main.Pollution from increased industrial, agricultural and domestic sprawl can contibute to detrimental stock depletion as well as climate cycles.Then there are these new climate theories. :whistle: :sick: :woohoo: TB

lol TB, Throw some Climate change models into the mix, and the poor scientists wont know if theyre coming or going !Possibly another very good reason why the move to do furtehr research before any more trawling is considered should be upheld

Listen to the audio "Better science called for on fishing quotas" from ABC's "The World Today" Program today (12:26:00 14/9/12):http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/It's probably one of the more balanced discussions I've heard regarding the "super trawler"...Cheersaf

MARTIN EXEL: "What we're not getting I think is decent dialogue with the community. I think as industry we have to take responsibility for some of the problem over the last week where we were easily or unable to explain to the community what is going on. We were unable to effectively respond to the community in terms of their desire not to have this big boat there and we need to look at a new dialogue and a new approach to management with conservation groups, recreational, commercial and all of those interested in the marine environment."Thats one of the best and most sensible things Ive sen said about this whole Debacle !If there had been more consultation with the public and groups involved to start with probably 1/2 this mess could have been avoided imo.One of the supporting arguments from Gerry Green seems to be that this a more "efficient" way of harvesting fish.He seems to have conveniently ignored so many other aspects amongst a bit of other "spin" :whistle:

my biggest issues wasInternationally ownedInternationally staffedFish caught processed on board by overseas workers.and all fish sold internationallyall profits are overseas.id also like to see the so called 40 aussie jobs? the ship is already fully operational it doesnt need fisherman?we were actually going to subsidise their freight costs too???where does Australia benefit from this??

THE Dutch government has raised its concerns about the last-minute ban on the controversial Abel Tasman supertrawler with the European Union, potentially inflaming the international backlash against the decision.

So what...do we not have the right to legislate against foreign interests in our own lands and waters?

And the operator of the ship, Seafish Tasmania director Gerry Geen, said the firm had been punished for being too open and transparent about its intentions, giving time for opponents of the super trawler to mobilise.

What does this mean Gerry? You should have the right to plunder our oceans in secret?Well how's this Gerry!Since the preparations for this venture started seven years ago jack mackeral populations in the southern hemisphere have plummeted 63% because of these trawlers. No wonder you prefer the science from 10 years ago?

The jack mackerel in the South Pacific are increasingly at the mercy of global fishing politics.In 2006, the Australian, New Zealand and Chilean governments initiated talks with 11 other nations to establish a regional body to oversee the management of migratory fish species such as jack mackerel in the ''thumping great piece of ocean from New Zealand and Australia to South America and the Antarctic region to the equator'', says Bill Mansfield, the chairman of the South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organisation.But the organisation's birth spurred vessels from countries all over the world to descend on the South Pacific and claim their piece of the ocean. Between 2006 and the end of last year, the total jack mackerel biomass is estimated to have declined by 63 per cent, to its historically lowest levels.

Hows that for honesty Gerry.... :angry::angry::angry: Why should good governments been persecuted by EU scum for wanting to protect their own peoples interests for sustainability?http://www.naroomanewsonline.com.au/story/334802/netherlands-raises-trawler-ban-with-eu/?cs=7http://www.smh.com.au/environment/bigger-fish-to-fry-in-trawler-ban-20120914-25xms.htmlThese EU proponents remind me of that 007 movie "The World Is Not Enough".Does anyone else think this issue is the thin of the wedge for what is left of our national soveriegnty?TB :angry:

"No less than the Commonwealth ombudsman has agreed AFMA has acted unlawfully, and this should rule a line under the whole sorry super trawler saga and compel the Senate to kill the project forever next Monday," he said in a statement on Saturday.

Damn straight it should!

He said the ombudsman was in the process of considering "other matters" that had come up in the course of its investigation.

I have no sympathy for AFMA and their failure to follow due processes.Surely this was a case of snouts in troughs and AFMA are not so stupid?http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/breaking-news/fish-authority-admits-it-broke-the-rules/story-e6frea7l-1226474697363TB

I dont give a rats toss about what the Dutch goverment think or for that matter what any other goverment thinks, this is our country ,our waters,and our resources, it belongs to us,the people of AUSTRALIA not some money hungry country whose waters have been decimated by such vessels as this.Regards Chris taylor... Rec fisherman and concerned grandad. :angry:

Agreed KhombiUnfortunateley the reality seems to be that Australia is no longer "our" country anymore, due to globalisation etc etc ! :( Only those with the power/$ can sway that, and the chances of it going "back" seem pretty few !

love the fact none of the recent Trawler news links can be commented on.. suppressing the tidal wave of anger in the general public??

Hadnt noticed that Del.Lovely case of editorial convenience :blink: :c

I dont think GG "gets it" that the boat simply isnt wanted here, period :huh: He's certainly good at not taking " NO" for an answer though ! :lol:

you can how ever post on this one..http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/the-federal-governments-banning-of-the-super-trawler-abel-tasman-is-a-flawed-action/story-e6frea83-1226474796925

Just done.Amazing how Mr Green is trying to say that his company has fished the area for years with no dramas.I think we're now talking a pretty different kettle of fish here tho. ( scuse the pun ) ;)
aff

Amazing how Mr Green is trying to say that his company has fished the area for years with no dramas.

Indeed.Best lies and half truths - it`s not "his" [pre-existing] company. ;) Seafish Tasmania Pelagic was created as a subsidiary of the Van der Plas mob (with Geen at the helm, strangely enough) and then grabbed Seafish Tasmania`s quota in a "joint venture" to be fished for using the Margiris.Let`s not start on the Geen/AFMA connection...or that re-flagging the vessel as Australian somehow makes it all above board.Smoke and mirrors, people.And ya gotta love the sell of renaming the vessel as the Abel Tasman - a spot of subliminal propagandising there? :dry:
Surprise' date=' surprise...http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-16/super-trawler-opponents-raise-concerns-over-rule-breach/4264010 :whistle:[/quote']Double :whistle: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-14/anti-trawler-groups-celebrate-fishing-laws/4260842The company that brought the trawler to Australia, Seafish Tasmania, has declined to comment.Triple whistle :) Gerry plays his cards close to his chest :side: Did some research on the Precautionary Principle, and thought that this was ironic In some legal systems, as in the law of the European Union, the application of the precautionary principle has been made a statutory requirement.[1] (From Wikipedia)Its interesting that good ole GG is European himself, and would supposedly be aware of this principle, and has chosen a country where it apparently isnt a requirement.Must be subliminal :blink::unsure: :dry: