After some discussions in this thread and with forum members I thought I'd start a new one, rather than hijacking. Undoubtedly this topic has come up before but I couldn't find anything recent. So after doing a bit of research over the last few days I am interested in hearing what peoples thoughts are on fish survival rates and what techniques people use to make sure their fish go back into the water in the best possible condition, especially in a deep water setting.According to Wikipedia:

While a number of scientific studies have now found survival rates of shallow water fish caught-and-released on fly and lure have extremely high survival rates (95–97%) and modestly high survival rates on bait (70–90%, depending on species, bait, hook size, etc.) emerging research suggests catch and release does not work very well with fish caught when deep sea fishing.

Personally I try to decide what I am targeting beforehand and plan ahead. I have a few lures with either circle hooks in place of trebles or only one treble to minimize damage to the fishes mouth and prevent foul hooking. I try to use pliers to remove hooks quickly and get the fish back into the water as quick as possible.So guru's, let's hear your thoughts and maybe get some info down for beginners who want to practice the fine art of releasing their fish. B):boat::fishing: :f
Well I am primarily Landbased so I cannot Comment on Deep Water but as I practice Catch and Release 99% of where I go I have a few General Rules.1. Wet Hands! The fish have a protective slime that the Human Coarse hands wipe away with ease.2. Brag Mats. Not only are they fish measuring devices they also protect the fishes skin from such Substances as Concrete etc. Make sure they are wet though sometimes on a Hot Day that Plastic does more harm than good.3. Hook Selection. Other than Hard Bodies all Lures and Baits are Singles or Circles. One for the cleaner hook up rate but also less damage down to the fishes body i.e. Mouth, Flanks etc. Manages for Quick Release.4. Pliers. You will not know unless you use them how much quicker they much unhooking!5. Comfort Lifting. Support the Belly!! How many photos I see of fish upside down! Quickest way to break its neck especially with heavy fish. Plus in my opinion it makes for better Photos!6. Release techniques. Unless from High Areas or in especially oxygenated water ie the Surf Beaches (Where you can spear them for a hit of Oxygen). Swim your fish! Don't flop them over the side.Wait for those flicks against your hold of their tail and then when ready a pinch of the tail and a strong push. Just watch the Catch and Release Snapper Photos. That will show you.There you go thats my list and I have attained some very strong Release Rates. I love a fresh feed of Fish. But remember just like Golf. "You don't have to eat the Ball, to have a good time!Cheers and Tight Lines TT

Moggy23,HSVLS19 and myself have had an excellent season on the schnappz and for the first time we all released our first biggn each,(awesome feeling by the way) B) because of the outfits we all use the fish are'nt being skull dragged in and suffering barotrauma and havn there bumz hang out, i have only had to swim tha 1 fish so far as did HSV, his gave a tail slap and actually hurt his wrist :pinch: i think water depth has a major part as we are fishn relativly shallow water also helping with the release, we try our best to get the fish in, sometimes a quick pic, then send them on their way.i have written in another post somewhere how i have now upsized to size 10/0 owner tournament circles to help prevent getting gut hooked fish as i have also mentioned before if the government departments heads were'nt so far up their own arses and read the threads/post's not just on this site but other forums it'd show em that we as a % of recco's are lookin after our own fishn futre to a certain extent keep c&r'n lads cheers 4THA

Spose the river may be a bit different as in depth shouldn't be a factorBut I myself will not lift a big cod (20+lbs) out of the water .Now I love to eat Callop more than any other fish ...squid still top them...But any Callop I catch over 44cm goes back My rule is ...Hold your breath when you take a fish out the water When you need another breath ...The fish needs flowing water through its gillsI fish to feed me and my family and will take what is legal to take.But at the same time try to look after our big breedersI love upper size limits for freshwater

the end of the actual fishing movie is my way of looking at it; Dont eat the fish! ;) Wont weigh into the old debate release vs eat, but this is my way :lol: I catch fish for fun therefore I like as little damage as possible to anything I catch. TT has some great tips there, some of which I use and some I will start using. Something I also try and remember to do is flatten my barbs. If it loses me some fish I dont mind, compared to the damage they can do to the rest I catch. Also alot easier to remove if you snag a homosapien :cheer:

My rule is ...Hold your breath when you take a fish out the water When you need another breath ...The fish needs flowing water through its gills

I love that. That's an awesome way of thinking about it and something I think I'll adopt.
Exceptions to the rule...Catch a :sick: carp :vomit: Hold your breath... longer....longer...Now when you turn the colour of a SmurfThen hold your breath a little bit longerAnd die....The carp will grow legs and walk to another waterway and live and breed happily ever afterSo make sure they are dead ...They will live where nothing else will ...But always dispatch as quick and humanely as possible They make great fert for veges and fruit trees.Cheers from the Chief