very unfortunate indeed... all it takes is one wrong move and it could all be over... ive seen and witnessed it first hand what fishing from rocks can do.. always stay alert, carry light and dont travel alone...also if fishing from the stones.. always have an emergancy way to get back to shore. scout around for the best possible route if possible if you do happen to go in.. just be wary of conditions and dont think the rocks are all fixed in place...

wearing of the tournament style PFD should be law when rock fishing.... surely lives could be saved if it was made a law....Sambo

Agreed. Although once you're in the water you're in pretty big trouble anyway. If it's rough a PFD is going to mean getting slammed into the rocks heavily, but it could be enough to get you back onto them instead of getting swept out.
wearing of the tournament style PFD should be law when rock fishing.... surely lives could be saved if it was made a law....Sambo
Agreed. Although once you're in the water you're in pretty big trouble anyway. If it's rough a PFD is going to mean getting slammed into the rocks heavily' date=' but it could be enough to get you back onto them instead of getting swept out.[/quote']Even if you get swept out or swam yaself out then just float and wait for the emergency services, istead if getting dragged under by your wet clothing and becoming another victim...Sambo

:clap::clap: I've been meaning to grab myself one for a while. Hardly notice them once they're on and great security. Was going to mention them earlier but I couldn't remember what people call them :blush:
Very sad' date='Unfortunately seat belts have been compulsory for a long time, everyone knows that risks - yet still people dont wear em. Life jackets and rock fishing would be even harder to implement.[/quote']Boats have to have epirb, life jackets, bucket, flares, it is inforced..... possible fine if caught without PFD rock fishing? $80 to save ya life.....Sambo

I have been washed off then back onto barnacle encrusted rocks at night at the Bluff. Very lucky to be alive, Ended up grazed but thankful and shaken . Most dangerous sport in the world. My fault as i was over confident and complacentA self inflating life jacket will save your life but to hard to police if made law, Why make a law when common sense should prevail? Agree with Southie an escape route should be noted before beginning to fish.

I have been washed off then back onto barnacle encrusted rocks at night at the Bluff. Very lucky to be alive' date=' Ended up grazed but thankful and shaken . Most dangerous sport in the world. My fault as i was over confident and complacentA self inflating life jacket will save your life but to hard to police if made law, Why make a law when common sense should prevail? Agree with Southie an escape route should be noted before beginning to fish.[/quote']True, but there must not be any common sense..... Rock fishing is classed as one of the most dangerous things to do, especially over on the east coast.... yet bugger all people use them, and the death toll from it just keeps rising.... An escape route won't help you when ya baiting up and a rouge wave gets ya.... only takes a split second and you are in...Sambo

The escape route is for when you fall in. Ahead of time you work out the most feasible place to get back out the water when it is safe. Swimming away from the rocks and dropping as much of your clothes as possible to help you swim is the best action.People are morons. It is hard to feel pity for plain stupidity/ignorance

Don't get me wrong Sambo life jackets save lives (like seatbelts)... but law or not any department is going have a tough time implementing them - and $100 for a pfd .vs. a possible 1 in a million $80 fine I know what people would decide... I've never been pulled up by fisheries once?Education is generally key in these type of things. Unfortunately some people think they're "educated" enough sometimes.... Ya cant wrap people in bubble wrap, shit can and will happen and hopefully they people left behind take heed to their mistakes.

Don't get me wrong Sambo life jackets save lives (like seatbelts)... but law or not any department is going have a tough time implementing them - and $100 for a pfd .vs. a possible 1 in a million $80 fine I know what people would decide... I've never been pulled up by fisheries once?Education is generally key in these type of things. Unfortunately some people think they're "educated" enough sometimes.... Ya cant wrap people in bubble wrap' date=' shit can and will happen and hopefully they people left behind take heed to their mistakes.[/quote']$80 was for a PFD :) cheaper then a life , plus were all these lives get taken is on the N.S.W coast were rock fishing for YF tuna, and other big species has alot of people trying in very dangerous areas and conditions....Sambo

I fished Jervis Bay Bombing Range , South Coast NSW for over 18 years, we used to fish a place called Crocodile Head, ( was nick named 3 graves when I started - was 9 graves when I left) it was from climbing down to get there.There were other spots there where fisho's had been washed off as well.I always fished with 3 - 4 mates, and had a plan in place if the inevitable ever happened, always swim away and find sheletered spot to swim in to to be retrieved. The swells there can catch you out in a blink of an eye. (Never turn your back on the sea), We used to wear PFD's back then, but is was a military version,(I was in the NAVY) as PFD's were not on the market back then. (80's - 90's, and if they were they were way too expensive)If it was too rough or swell was too big, we changed spots that still allowed us to fish safely, or if was out of control, we turned back home.And yes ( Rock Fishing is the "deadliest sport in Australia" ) PFD's should be mandatory, especially along the NSW coastline, the swell rolls in from the other side of NZ Tasman Sea, Coral Sea and the big stuff rolls from as far away as the South Pacific.It is a pity these young and older people lose their lives to a sport they love.

Gary Flack wrote a good article about rock fishing safety in last wild coast? PFDs are a good idea together with a grab bag/throw rope, plus rock shoes (the shoes or boots look like studded dive boots and seem pretty cheap). Know of a case where a safety person stacked it on the shore whilst checking out a team doing boulder surveys, made it mandatory to wear 200 dive boots, Gary's $80 rock boots seem like a better proposition.Condolences to the familys and safe fishing to all on the rocks.