Been shopping for BASA in the supermarkets???

'Tis amazing to me that it's banned in the USA and me and the Bride had been eating it for ages and it was only my curiosity to see exactly what species of fish it was that led me to find out :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: It does seem amazing also that the Supermarkets and fish shops are allowed to sell contaminated stuff like this, surely there are Australian Standards to be complied with before importation or is it just that globalisation rules over common sense and the long term health of Australians?Interesting also that now the Supermarkets have to comply with naming standards how much sea food is actually produced in Asia for Aussie consumption?Please don't think this is a racist post, that is definitely not my intention, merely pointing out that some of the most polluted countries in the World are mass producing food for world wide consumption.

merely pointing out that some of the most polluted countries in the World are mass producing food for world wide consumption.

Its definiteley a concern Tony !It's sad to see people washing their clothes. yet alone themselves in water carrying their own raw sewerage. Its another thing again to be breeding food-stuffs in it :pinch: :S Its just as bad/ scary to be using some as food for livestock, considering the pollutants in the food chain :ohmy: The Authorities might be busy granting permission to foreign trawlers to plunder our waters to worry too much about food standards it seems :pinch: :whistle:

I often use to order fish and chips as a pub meal.Haven't for a while now.In fact I will not eat any white fleshy fish of unknown origin, ie fish and chip shop and frozen fillets.Actually, the only fish I eat now is what I catch and cook fresh myself. You know what it is and it tastes better anyway.Therefore, I don't eat much fish anymore :(

As a FORMER seafood importer, the doco above is absolutely spot on, but, quite a few years old now. The first introduced basa fillets to come into Australia were from Vietnam and Taiwan, with Taiwan being the preferred due to their 'cleaner' processing techniques. The main imports now come from Thailand, which believe it or not, have a stricter hygiene process than our main fish processors in Australia. Thailand fish farms with an Australian export licence have their own fish breeding and cannot process wild caught fish for export, therefore their fish do not have the pollutants that the wild caught WILL have. Having said that, the fish are feed with steroid enhanced pellets and are injected with hormones derived from urine of pregnant females to allegedly promote body and egg growth.All in all, death on a plate. It doesn't stop there, Barramundi,whole and filleted, Red Snapper fillet's, Golden Snapper fillet's, Hake and Hoki fillet's etc... all imported and all packed to the brim with either pollutants or steroids. Having supplied over 70% of the restaurants and 50% of the Super Markets in Adelaide, i can bet that if you've eaten out and ordered seafood, you can just about guarantee you would of consumed some of this crap. Fish Fingers are 90% of the time made with wild caught NZ Hoki or Hake fillet's and are actually a very nice fish. Don't even get me started on PRAWNS!! Simple rule, if it isn't a Southern King Prawn, DON'T EAT IT!! Squid, shrimps, octopus, crab sticks... BAD news. Simply put, if your eating out, do as i do, ask where it's from, still unsure? Ask to see a packet stating origin and processing info, yes we do send Australian seafood overseas to be processed and packaged due to cost's, once processed, it's packed full of "beautiful" preservative's to "keep it fresh". From bad to "good" imported seafood, India, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand. :sick: Best bet, grab your fishing gear and have a relaxing day catching your Australian caught dinner.

At least the larger operators feed their basa pellets' date=' some of the small back yard producers grow their fish on livestock fecies :sick:[/quote']Your spot on there mate. On one visit to Vietnam, I had the "privilege" of viewing one prawn farmers setup. An open dam approximately 150mtrs square, with a pump on either end circulating and stirring up all the crap off the bottom. It had dead cats floating in it, shit, which I'm sure was human and plastic rubbish. When I questioned the guy on the shrimps diet he said, and I quote "all natural, like in the wild, they find their own food".... Ummmm, no dead cats floating in Spencer Gulf that I can recall. Consequently, after a report back to AQIS he was closed down.

I noticed sa certain Adelaide Grocery warehouse selling something like " No Brand " Crunbed Fish Pieces.No Brand name at all visble.A food scientists might have a field day checking that "stuff" :pinch: :whistle: :S

At least the larger operators feed their basa pellets' date='[/quote']Maybe, but then what exactly is in the pellets too :blink::unsure:

While studying Aquaculture the lecturers showed us some examples of 'how not to farm fish' the pig pens hanging over the basa cages was an eye opener with all the basa congregating underneith the arse end of the pigs waiting for their next meal :S

Aaahhhh' date=' that's a "Surf n' Turf Special" Piranha. Haha.[/quote']Might be more than Surf'n'Turf :huh:http://www.factory-farming.com/pig_manure.html
Guest horses4courses

Hmmmmmmmmm,Thai and Malaysian markets are no place for the "health inspectors" to want to just "rock up to" either.The things I saw and smelled in there :sick: :vomit: mind you, it was "refreshing" in the clip that the Vietnamese fishermen/fish farmers admitted to doing the wrong thing. perhaps some of those "ideals" could be enlisted here in Australia :dry: