GOOLWA COCKLE DISASTER IN THE MAKING

Well guys, sorry to be the bearer, it is Official. As at a Fisheries meeting with the Cocklers present yesterday, the '09 season Goolwa Pipi Commercial Quota has been set. The coming season has a cap of 600 tonnes only, this is a little over half of last years quota of 1100 tonnes. With that in mind only 636 tonnes were harvested in '07 - '08 in an unusualy tough season.Atop the fact of a limited catch, the Cocklers are having to fund a Management committee to oversee & manage the fishery, this comes at a considerable expense to each Harvester, thus the radical increase in prices in more recent times. Can only suggest to you all, expect to be paying more again soon & shouldn't expect to see too many sacks for sale around the traps.The advice I received re these new Quotas, is such, that they will be at this level for the next 3 years, God help the humble Squid & Cuttlefish.Watch this space for revised recreational limits & beach access restrictions to the Sir Richard Peninsula.Finatic

36 reads, no comments ???, I was ticked when I heard it, thought you guys would be devastated.Finatic

tooo devastated to reply >:( >:( >:(Guess we had better get to even higher prices for cockles.Just like every thing else we buy these day's... ??? ??? The poor harvester cope's it in the AR*E once again,in fact twice. 1:Cockle quota lowered 2:Having to fund a management committee

quote]doesn't look good for squid and cuttlefish.No it doesn't, not to mention tubeworms or razorfish. When the commercial sector has a quota set at 1100 tonnes and yet only 636 tonnes can be reached or harvested it usually means the fishery is in big trouble. In my opinion it is very poor fisheries management once again. Why is it that our fisheries management wait until a commercial species is well and truly overfished and in trouble before they decide to act. Surely common sense should tell them that it is ever so much easier to manage our stocks if sensible appropriate quotas were used in the first place.Once again due to over harvesting of our cockles by the commercial sector the recreational sector will be made to have a reduced bag limit. Just recently it was revelled that there are 32 commercial operators in the Coorong fishery that hold endorsements on their licences for cockles. Currently only about half of this number actually fish for them but with the higher market prices, one can only assume more of these will once again target them. As Grumpy posted

The poor harvester cope's it in the AR*E once again,in fact twice. 1:Cockle quota lowered 2:Having to fund a management committee
Have to feel for the ones that have been operating at the present time, but the Johnny come lately's should be told sorry you licence is void. Maybe another buyback at tax payers expense, due to mismanagement? >:(

Anyone ever thought of them saying there are bugger all cockles so they have to get less for the same money??

That's exactly what's been happening int it? Never mind the poor ol harvesters, it's always the poor ol consumer who pays! The harvester now harvest less, but turns the same profit UNTIL the consumer wises up and stops purchasing!I've been having trouble with this one for a long time now! I get my own cockles down at Goolwa, and have found heaps! I'm told that they're not there in commercial quantities though, as the weather this year has sent the cockles to deeper water earlier in the season!Now I'm told that as the catch was down, the cockles must have been over harvested, so quotas must be cut, and the amount I take myself must also be cut!Meanwhile, prices have inflated dramatically, so the poor ol harvester isn't out of pocket, in fact, he's now doing less work to turn the same profit he's always turned.So what's it to be? Are cockles in decline or is the seasonal weather responsible for low numbers? Are we to pay exorbitant prices in future, are we gonna be purchasing substandard imported cockles in future, or are we gonna replace cockles with other bait sources?

Yes Ranger the commercial fishers have been, and are, great manipulators when it comes to our fisheries management.When I said "Have to feel for the ones that have been operating at the present time". What I meant was, when the other endorsed operators decide to go back to fishing for them as profiteers it will possibly mean the present cocklers will get a lot less than what they bargained for. I noticed the commercial mud cocklers have decided they have been working too hard as well. They must have sore backs too and have decided to manipulate the market price as well after seeing the success of the commercial Coorong cocklers. As quoted from Fishfacts Issue 15, August 2008Temporary closure of the commercial mud cockle fisheryA short term, state-wide closure of the commercial mud cockle fishery will come into effect from 6am on Monday 18 August 2008. The closure will remain in place until the commencement of the new quota regulations scheduled for introduction in early October. The closure is to facilitate the orderly introduction of the new commercial fishery quota system and to protect the resource from potential overfishing. The quota system has been developed to manage and constrain the increasing catches of mud cockles. Extensive consultation has taken place with the industry over the last two years to develop a system that will ensure the long-term sustainability of the resource. The closure will apply to commercial licence holders only. During the closure, commercial licence holders will still be permitted to harvest mud cockles for personal bait and berley use only, but mud cockles cannot be sold. Recreational fishers are reminded that recreationally caught fish cannot be sold at any time. The details of recreational catch limits for mud cockles are as follows; • Minimum legal length - 3.0cm • Minimum legal length (taken from Coffin Bay) - 3.8cm • Daily bag limit (per person) – 300In my opinion the commercial mud cocklers have been raping and pillaging the mud cockles unrestricted for way too long. I think there is a conspiracy, Fisheries management are certainly making it more and more difficult for us rec KG whiting fishers.

• 2 weeks later...
Warring-the-cockles-of-the-heartWell now I’m really peeved off. >:( >:( >:( >:( I have just found out that there is a war going on at the moment and it’s all to do with South Australia’s Goolwa Cockle. I was told today that there is an article with the heading “Waring the cockles of the heart” in the Independent Weekly. Want to know why our cockles are in short supply and so expensive.Well now you can all read about it for yourself. Just found the web site: http://www.independentweekly.com.au/news/local/news/general/warring-the-cockles-of-the-heart/1283930.aspxNow that I have I am totally disgusted, “What about me you may ask?” Well you can bet our daily bag limit will shrink significantly. Notice the article doesn’t really consider us the recreational fisher in the equation. If you are unhappy about this now is the time to yell, scream and say so. There’s a place at the bottom of the web page if you want to have your sayregards niftrev >:( >:( >:( >:(

Well researched Nitrev, if you haven't already clicked the link, please do so, a quality read guaranteed.Let me say wholeheartedly & factuallyMY DIGGER DOES NOT SELL TO THE LIVE EXPORT MARKETS, he supplies the bait industry only (for under $15 a kilo, he too could be getting $40) & without him & a few other smaller guys, quote, YOU WILL BE PAYING $40 plus a kilo.Next time you buy cockles, ask which harvester supplied them, you may well get a surprise.Could even be from 1 of the Larger questionable harvesters that are currently shaping the way of your kids fishing future.In fact it would be interesting if somebody did the research & posted those harvesters that are bait industry only & which stores they sell to, just a little too political for me though.Enough said.Finatic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

binksmarine posted

As far as I know,the recreational cockle season will open on 1st November as usual,the commercial season will remain closed until 1st December or later.

Yes I heard that on Radio 5AA talkback Thursday 23rd Oct. As soon as I heard it I thought it was absolutely brilliant, gives the cockles another month of reprieve before the greedy commercials can get their hands on them. This means there should be plenty around now during November and should be easy to collect if you have the means to go and get your own. (I don't unfortunately) The commercial sector and pollies couldn't agree on the minister's decision that he made concerning the sharing of the so called equitable resource.

But either House of Parliament can overturn a ministerial regulation, and that’s exactly what the Legislative Council did on June 23.“The essential argument to support the disallowance of these regulations is that they are not fair to everyone,” Kanck told parliament on the day of the vote.“They tip the balance in favour of some fishers to the detriment of others.

Minister McEwen didn't seem all that happy about it either. As it is meant to be a shared equitable resource Parliament itself, especially the Legislative Council, should be the public watchdog by disallowing the Minister’s Regulation. I say congratulations and well done to the opposition and the stand they took. One should ask why should 1/2 a dozen commercial operators be given a better deal than all the others that are licensed with endorsements? I am sure none of us recfishers would be all that happy if the guy next door was given and allowed to catch a quota of 50 K G whiting while only to be then told by the powers that be that your whiting quota would now be reduced to a total of only 6. Of couse the big players weren't going to complain. The Minister Rory McEwen stated the closed season will still apply in regards to the commercial operators until an alternative proposal is put forward and the minister then approves it. Until a resolution is found apparently the closed season will remain.

Hi allThis is the Press Release from the Ministers OfficeTAKE NOTE OF THE LAST TWO PARAGRAPHSMedia ReleasesHon Rory McEwenMinister for Agriculture, Food and FisheriesMinister for ForestsMinister for Regional Development --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tuesday, 28 October 2008CALL FOR COMMON SENSE IN PIPI (Goolwa Cockle) FISHERYFisheries Minister Rory McEwen has announced that the same commercial access arrangements as last year will apply for the Lakes and Coorong Pipi fishery – but with a significantly reduced quota.Mr McEwen has told State Parliament he has an obligation, under the Fisheries Management Act 2007, to protect the sustainability of the pipi resource. “We are talking about a resource which is under serious threat and I urge everyone to exercise some restraint,” Mr McEwen said.“From 1 November 2008 commercial access to the fishery will be controlled with a total catch limit through licence conditions. “Individual catch limits will be endorsed on licences and will not be transferable. “Endorsements will be consistent with the arrangements implemented last season with adjustments to recognise permanent transfers made during the past twelve months.“Endorsements will also recognise the reduction in total allowable catch from 1150 tonnes to 600 tonnes.” Mr McEwen said, in addition, commercial fishers are being directed to only fish south of the Murray Mouth (the Coorong Beaches) with recreational fishers only fishing north of the mouth (the Goolwa Beaches).“Recreational fishers are also being asked to observe a voluntary bag reduction from 600 to 300 pipis per day,” Mr McEwen said.“I trust that all of our responsible fishers will respect these arrangements while I work with the Shadow Minister and other stakeholders to find a sustainable long-term solution.”

OK, if stocks really are in trouble, I'll be the first to abide by the new "voluntary" conditions, coz before long, I'm certain those conditions WILL become mandatory once Rory McEwin "works with the Shadow Minister and other stakeholders to find a sustainable long-term solution.”I live at about the northernmost extent of the northern suburbs, and now a trip all the way down to Goolwa for 300 cockles? Between me and the wife we'd EAT 300 ourselves!Time for me to look for an alternative for my fishing methinks! I recon most of my KG fishing will now be done with bloodworms and tenderised squid!Then again, what about those Mud Cockles Katelysia? Nah, there's a limit of 300 on them already! But I'm sure I can still buy sacks of them at the market!!!

When did Minister Rory McEwen say he was going? :icon_e_geek: I wonder if the regulation will be disallowed again.The commercial diggers have really only had a reduction of 50t from 650 TO 600.Last years quota 1150t was obviously set way to high.Voluntary recreational "300"! ;D :icon_lol: ;D :icon_lol: ;D :icon_lol: ;D :icon_lol: ::) ;D :icon_lol: ;D :icon_lol: ;D He's feelin the water.

Guest 10percentcatch90

AS good fishermen we have the responsibility to look after our sport .GOOD FISHERMEN don't have to take to many or under size fish just for the hell of it,they only take what they need.Greed = poor fishermen.Please use your brains and leave your ego's at home.I see fishermen doing the wrong thing all the time.ITS EVERY ONE'S SPORT,LETS LOOK AFTER IT !!!

Fair anf good point mr 10%. But Like ranger I live a considerable distance from the grounds and whilst that in itself is not an excuse, if the limit is voluntary, and I am opperating within the law, i have no problem with taking my 600. Would be a VERY different mater if I had access to those areas on a more consistant basis.I know that its a hypocritical view, especially as I dont follow that sentiment into my fishing, its difin8ly a catch what I need, not what I can senerio, but as I mentioned I dont have the opportunity to visit the place regularly so I make the trip worth my while

Posted by: 10percentcatch90

I see fishermen doing the wrong thing all the time

Then you should report it.10percentcatch90 said

GOOD FISHERMEN don't have to take to many or under size fish just for the hell of it,they only take what they need.Greed = poor fishermen

Coonta Kinta posted

Would be a VERY different mater if I had access to those areas on a more consistant basis.

I agree,nothing wrong with thatIn my opinion there's nothing greedy about taking 600 cockles if they are for personal use. If you go fishing and buy that amount what's the difference, all it means is that someone else with a licence is making monetary gain out of a resource which is essentially owned by all South Australians. Do you think recreational fishers are the only people that harvest the Goolwa cockle? Are you aware that nearly half of the estimated combined professional and recreational take of 1100 tonnes, already human consumption accounts for half of it?The truth is that exports are responsible for the higher price per kilo. As a response to the higher prices more people will now be making the trip to Goolwa. The harm that has been done to the cockle fishery has mostly come about from those with a commercial interest and their greed. Surely all South Australians should be catered for before exports are considered. The government’s intentions are to create half a dozen Cockle Kings, who have a potential to become multi millionaires. In my opinion this will only have a negative outcome of which we will all have to bare. 10percentcatch90

Please use your brains and leave your ego's at home

I'm left pondering what your statement is meant to mean and who it is meant to be directed at 10percentcatch90Maybe you should explain further.Ps Your name tag suggests your a pretty good fisherman and your a member of the 10 per cent club, Some would suggest and say that's greedy. I'm thinking maybe a name change, say to 90percentcatch10 would be more appropriate to go with your NON GREED = GOOD FISHERMEN STATUS and QUALITIES.

I agree niftrev, I will be going down to get my own this year as I can no longer afford to buy them at the current prices. If more rec fishers do the same thing it wont take long for stocks to go down. Greed by the big end town hurts us all again, its happened time and time again and will never change. When there is a buck to be made greed will rear its ugly head. It wont take long and we will be forced to take 300 or less so the big end of town will be able to take their quota's. This will make it not equatable for those that live long distance from Goowla to make the trip. While we can still take 600 I will due to the travel and cost involved. If I lived closer this would not be the case.When we are forced to only take 300 less people will make the trip and this will keep the cockle kings happy, more for them in yrs to come forcing the little guy to miss out.

Then again, what about those Mud Cockles Katelysia? Nah, there's a limit of 300 on them already! But I'm sure I can still buy sacks of them at the market!!!

Sorry to be the bearer; but the Commercial Mud Cockle Fishery is Currently Closed and is under review!It was closed a couple of months ago, and was supposed to be sorded by mid October, yet i have heard nothing and ive been looking. Hopefully this will be resolved in the comming days... I love mud cockles, Yum!BTW You can still take 300 mud cockles yourself!Yak.

Commercial managment issues i reckon Ranger. I dont think they wanted to have the same probs as the Goolwa fishery. From what i have heard the concern is about the Port Lincoln fishery.Oh and I reckon ur right on the money about the 300 Goolwas, Ive been hearing whispers for a couple months now...I'll post up about the muddys as soon as i find out when we can buy em again, go great with Parsley, Garlic, Lemon and White Wine! Mmmmmmmm.

Wouldnt belive it, i was just wrapping some bait and a little column in the newspaper i was using caught my eye........Mud Cockle Quota is in place as of this week. No Specifics. Good news is there back on the table!Bad news is PIRSA couldnt give me this info! Oh well it always depends who you talk to there...and their website is useless.Yak

Fisheries Officers have been in the shop this morning and left some fliers of the Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Pipi Fishing in South Australia.I have found the link on the Fisheries Website http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/87548/Information_Sheet_on_Pipi_fishing_in_South_Australia_October_2008.pdf