St Kilda- Fisheries-Crabs

Today jewie myself and the kids hit st kilda for some father children fishing action , things started fairly slow but we ended up with some nice st's . The walk back horrified me , group after group of people who had been raking had been taking HUNDREDS of undersize ( extremely undersize ) blue swimmers , mostly females i think i saw maybe 5 males out of literally hundreds of crabs , jewie and i stopped at one group and i tried to explain that there was a size limit and that what they had would get them into some serious trouble , i was greeted with " no no no they good they good " which made my blood boil , the voice of reason came from the background " just leave it we will ring fisheries " getting back to the car the call was made to fisheries notifying them of what was going on . i was told they would investigate , 5 pm today we recieved a call from fisheries to say they rocked up with 2 patrols of fisheries and one cop patrol all in all 7 groups of people were given on the spot fines with hundreds of undersize and over bag limit crabs ...

Glad to hear ya made the call, and glad to hear these environmental vandals were caught this time! This is why we all need to keep the number in speed-dial.Unfortunately the on-the-spot fine is hardly a deterent, and it doesn't replace the crabs which have been taken, but I guess it's something at least, and the more calls we make, hopefully the more times this lot will be fined!

Good onya Burlz, as Ranger said, the more of us that do the right thing and keep an eye out, the more chance we have of slowing this crap down. Fisheries cant be everywhere so its up to us!Even though the fines are soft.Can you all even imagine what is going on in the isolated places? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

On ya boys for doing the right thing ;) (K point each ;)) I have no doubt that these groups are of a certain 'nationality' and these groups seem to have a disregard for our fisheries laws >:( the same 'group' of people who are more than likely responsible for netting around garden island >:( (not this group at St K) the same 'group' that rape the Bream spots in the port >:( Just my 2c worth ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it is time for " no speaky the english, no fishing "

Exactly! Ignorance of the law is no excuse! They manage to fill out immigration documents, pass driving exams, open a bank account, enter legal contracts, start businesses, etc, but cant understand fishing laws? I DON'T THINK SO!!!I'm definately not racist, and I wont single out any group, but enough is enough, and it's time our laws got tough and penalties were increased on everyone!My wife is Chinese, and she tells me that migrants try this quite often! When faced with speeding tickets, infringements, etc, they always try to get out of it by pleading ignorance due to language difficulties! Mention DOLLARS though, and they understand that quite well!

Burlz must be on the same wavelength spotted our friends on the way up the B W with foam eskies in tow and rang the fisheries myself to come out and check saw the police arrive but didn't get any feedback , good to know that they finally caught some of these greedy buggers . COOKIE.

From Ranger: they always try to get out of it by pleading ignorance due to language difficulties!Piece of cake that, no speak english, immediately confiscate the licenseI'll bet that will improve the english post haste.On the matter of under size stuff, in addition for fines also impound their gear and most importantly their mode of transport.I'll bet they won't be walking to and fro from St Kilda and points North too often. ;D

onya they have decimated the fishing areas where they came from now they come to our country and try to turn it into the same kind of craphole they came from i agree ignorance is not a reason for not obeying the law i have been out racking sometimes for hours to return with none or very little in return when there were hundreds of undersizes crabs around i think everyone just needs to be more diligent and dob the Bas@$%^s in hurt them in the pocket and maybe they will get them message go team well done :police: >:(

onya they have decimated the fishing areas where they came from now they come to our country and try to turn it into the same kind of craphole they came from

Take it easy. This is obviously an emotive and complicated subject but thats a bit OTT.I dont think anyones goal is to turn our country into a craphole...... nor did they come for the fishing....