Where has a the water gone? A surprising and frustrating session on the fly.

With the weather being a bit milder yesterday I decided to try to get a couple of Redfin from some schools I have found in the deeper pools of water near my house. Armed with a box of Buggers and my 4wt I marched off to try and find the reddies......Problem is I had to find the water first! Boy has it dropped in the last couple weeks.....Posted ImagePosted ImageFinally found a pool with some water in it and I could see a school of 6-8 reddies milling around on the bottom.....Posted ImagePosted ImageStarted flicking Woolly Buggers at the reddies and first cast I hooked up to a little rainbow that spat the hooks, I reckon the fly was almost as big as him! A few casts later and his bigger brother came out to play and after a quick pic was released....Posted ImageI continued to cast to the reddies, as I could see a couple of absolute STONKERS in there! The bloody rainbows kept getting in the way though- ended up getting five of them, which were released after quick pics. It's funny that now Im not specifically trying for trout I end up not being able to get past them to get to the Redfin! Unfortunately I am pretty sure that the few pools that remain in this area will almost totally dry out over the next few weeks, which is really bad news for these fishes.After an hour or so, after making the "one last cast" call, my olive Woolly Bugger was absolutely SMASHED by something in the depth of the pool, with only my leader length out of the rod tip! This fish had some serious weight to it and immediately pulled a length of line out of my hand. It screamed around the pool a couple of times and actually leapt out of the water on two occasions- my rod was bent right over, and the 4wt NRX is certainly no noodle. At first I though it was a decent trout, given the jumps, however after a couple of minutes slugging it out a HUGE Redfin broke the surface about 2m from my feet..... This fish was easily my PB Redfin and my heart leapt into my mouth as I reached for my net. It surged off again across the pool and buried itself under a large boulder on the opposite side- it felt as if it my line was snagged tight. Just after I decided to get wet and cross the pool to try and unsnag myself, the reddy swam out from under the rock and I managed to swim it to my feet..... Just as I reach out with the net my bugger shot out of its mouth, past my right ear, and the fish slowly decended back into the murky water. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! The hook had actually bent open in the fight and the fish had just slid off. :-(Anyway, here's some trout pics....Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/4NICK8/photo-2298.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/4NICK8/photo-259.jpg

Well done fella . Is there anyway to transport them to a deeper pool or is this illegal or to difficult ? Would be a shame to lose them ?

There is no deeper pools for a very long way, I considered it but the bucket would need to be large as they aren't tiny fish. The stress of bucketing them may kill them as well. Definitely a shame if they died.....

might need to run the garden hose down there mate :D :D :D lol but in all seriousness good job mate... its funny because where jimbo and myself fish theres still plenty of water up there... as i had a look today.

Yeah, I sussed further up and much more water. The stretch below my house almost totally dries out in summer.