Found this whilst roaming on boat sales

Trial project welcomed by recreational fishersWestern Australia’s peak recreational fishing body Recfishwest has welcomed the State Government’s unveiling today of the first artificial reef project in the south-west region. Recfishwest Chief Executive Officer Dr Andrew Rowland said the $2.38 million initiative to establish the State’s first artificial reef trial on the south-west coast would increase habitat for key fish species. "The Royalties for Regions program funding and $520,000 from recreational licencing revenue has enabled the artificial reefs initiative to come to fruition," Dr Rowland said. "This is a fantastic tangible benefit for recreational fishers who purchase a fishing licence. With the first artificial reefs being located near Bunbury and Quindalup boat ramps, they will be a great resource for small boats to access. "Recfishwest undertook a significant consultation process with local fishers to select the best locations." Dr Rowland said the locations selected for artificial reefs are based on a strict set of environmental parameters such as water currents, depth and bottom type. "Local fishers will be engaged in monitoring programs to determine the effectiveness of the structures and assess the benefits to the community. "If these structures meet their potential, they will benefit the environment and local communities; complement Western Australia’s robust and adaptive fisheries’ management approach; and help ensure fish stocks remain sustainable."Map with artificial reef location here http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/PublishingImages/Media%20Releases/Photos/Artificial_Reef_Site_Assessment_%20Proposed_Sites%20-.pdfimage_2013-01-29.jpg Would love to see a few of these dotted along our coast line Cheers 4THA

The program seems to be fundamentally floored as the cubes have holes in them. Meaning the fish can just swim straight through them. LOL :laugh::laugh: But seriously were do we start as PIRSA are of the opinion that artificial reefs are of no benefit to our Snappers Biomass. Ie they believe the total number of snapper would not increase as a result. My opinion is the more structure, the more food and the more fish the gulf can support at any given time.Im interested to get this discussion going again though.

ut seriously were do we start as PIRSA are of the opinion that artificial reefs are of no benefit to our Snappers Biomass. Ie they believe the total number of snapper would not increase as a result. My opinion is the more structure' date=' the more food and the more fish the gulf can support at any given time.Im interested to get this discussion going again though.[/quote']
PIRSA will tell you anything if it means they don't have to spend $$$$ ;) bet they have 0 science to back up those claims :)

The gulf is a pretty big place, i don't know how chucking a couple of lumps of concrete down would increase numbers? maybe if you through a few 100 down?? but really it just looks like you are congregating fish together so you don't have to travel as far to find them, like the person above me said.

2.38 million dollars for TWO concrete structures and their deployment? That's right, the two in the pic(in the link)are the only two.Who's mate of a mate is getting rich off this scam?Department of Fisheries WA"We are planning to deploy two purpose-built concrete artificial reefs in Geographe Bay – an ideal environment in which to trial artificial reefs. We have been working closely with Recfishwest and local government to identify suitable sites for locating the artificial reefs.However, the reef will only be deployed once we have obtained relevant environmental approvals. We have developed a policy in relation to purpose-built artificial reefs and fish aggregating devices in Western Australia. It highlights our responsible approach to assessing the appropriateness of any habitat enhancement structure, including artificial reefs and fish aggregating devices. The policy outlines factors that will need to be considered by potential developers of the habitat enhancement structures with regard to design, deployment and monitoring. It also covers findings and research into purpose built fishing enhancement structures deployed elsewhere in Australia and internationally. A wide range of interested parties including State Government bodies, local government, community groups, and industry contributed to the development of this policy. "

2.38 million dollars for TWO concrete structures and their deployment? That's right' date=' the two in the pic(in the link)are the only two.Who's mate of a mate is getting rich off this scam? "[/quote']It's heaps good concrete J.M :blink::blink: I have only put this up as I came across It whilst browsing I don't really have a point of view on it but it is interesting to see what others think about it Cheers
2.38 million dollars for TWO concrete structures and their deployment? That's right' date=' the two in the pic(in the link)are the only two.Who's mate of a mate is getting rich off this scam? "[/quote']It's heaps good concrete J.M :blink::blink: I have only put this up as I came across It whilst browsing I don't really have a point of view on it but it is interesting to see what others think about it Cheers
To be honest mate i'm just heaps jealous i'm never in on these scams. I've got an idea for some pvc pipe fishing line bins, 3 grand each...awwwww crap somebody beat me to that too.
2.38 million dollars for TWO concrete structures and their deployment? That's right' date=' the two in the pic(in the link)are the only two.Who's mate of a mate is getting rich off this scam?[/quote']Are you sure - Because wow that would be a massive scam if ever weve seen it[/quoteYes, i quoted the source. Dep of Fisheries WA

Ohhhh man, i thought PIRSA and DENR here wre a joke. Looking through the WA fisheries web site i was interested in the results of the "WA recreational boat fishing survey". So go to the link on the web site-http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/Fishing-and-Aquaculture/Recreational-Fishing/Supporting-Recreational-Fishing/Pages/Western-Australian-Recreational-Boat-Fishing-Survey.aspx"It is anticipated that findings from the survey will be available by September 2012."Couldn't find the results anywhere. What the hell, i'll call them. Got passed around to 4 different department within WA fisheries and no one had a clue about any survey :blink: What a :c joke.Now waiting for a return call...

2.38 million dollars for TWO concrete structures and their deployment? That's right' date=' the two in the pic(in the link)are the only two.Who's mate of a mate is getting rich off this scam?[/quote']Are you sure - Because wow that would be a massive scam if ever weve seen it
Spoke to the fella in charge of RecFish WA. $1.8mil for the design, manufacture and deployment of 60-SIXTY concrete modules over 2 sites and a further $1.5mil to monitor and assess over a 4 year period.So please dismiss my earlier conspiracy theory posts :blush:
The gulf is a pretty big place' date=' i don't know how chucking a couple of lumps of concrete down would increase numbers? maybe if you through a few 100 down?? but really it just looks like you are congregating fish together so you don't have to travel as far to find them, like the person above me said.[/quote']
Thats why they are called fish congregating devices mate, thats the whole idea.They start a food chain that would otherwise not be there so it would create greater numbers because it provides food to support them. :)

These designs are now used extensively throughout parts of Asia. WA fisheries sent a delegation over there a few years back and I sent the resulting PDF report to both PIRSA and the then SARFAC under Trevor Watts.Trevor was in favor but PIRSA were not.Basically, in Asia they scatter these things out in grids and manage them in a manner that places temporary bans on sections so demersal species get breaks in fishing pressure but there is still always plenty left open to fishing for the fishermen.Depending on the design, location and management practices, some areas have outstripped adjacent MPA's and/or natural reef systems for biodiversity increases as well as biomass. In other situations they have failed. Like anything, proper planning is important for success and this includes implementing such initiatives in moderation to prevent unwanted adverse effects. Sometimes introduced pests can find such changes favourable and disrupt the pre-existing natural environment.Just like sanctuary zones, everything is a benefit in moderation.TB ;)