Best SA specific combo

G'day, I am currently looking for the best suited combo for bread and butter species in SA, specifically snapper and whiting, what are your opinions on a good combo from the boat? im thinking something with 15-20lb braid will suit my needs, I just want something of good quality, price no issue, overhead or spinning, I don't mind, Im just after a few different ideas, cheers :)

If it were me,and price was no issue,I'd choose a fav spinning reel and a fav overhead..........then go speak with some reputable custom rod builders for their thoughts......and get them built!Other than that,I don't fish from a boat,so I cannot offer any more.Good luck in your pursuits of the "perfect combo" ;)

In my opinion, you don't need anything fancy smancy for bread & butter fish. Go see the site sponsors & I'll be surprised if you spend more than $150 all up for a more than adequate set up off the rack. And then buy 2 or 3.If money is not an issue then have the rods custom made & buy the best reel to suit. Cant go wrong then!!!I have custom made rods going back some 25 yrs. If you look after them they will last & so will most of the quality reels. These days off the shelf/rack rods & reels are pretty cheap & of good quality so you can replace as needed. (In my case anyway).

Cheers nikhum! Had a look at one today' date=' seems a tidy unit! Goldman that's a good idea also!! Has anyone tried out a samiki zing rod? For the price they look great :)[/quote']My son Ryan has Samiki Zing with a Calcutta XT200, he loves it & does all his whiting fishin with it.I was checkin out the Storm Gomoku range at Sports Fishing Scene the other day, there was one there that would make a killa spin whiting / snapper rod. B)

I've got a Daiwa Branzino 3000 that is an awesome all round reel. It is light enough for gar, great for whiting and strong enough for snapper. Not cheap but if you are only going to use one reel for everything, then this is it.I match mine to a Samurai Premium Snapper SN502-2C. I built mine myself, blank, grips and guides cost around $300.

If someone hasn't mentioned them before, the Storm gomoku range would be great all rounders.Either the blue, pe1-3,160g jig weight or red model pe0.8-1.5, I think 120g jig weight.Fuji guides and reel seat for $149.Sure, the taper is different to australian rods and very parabolic, but they sure look cool with a fish on.I'm not sure those zings would handle a whole tommy? But I could be wrong.Match it up with a 3000 shimano or 2500 daiwa and you couldn't go wrong.

My fav all rounder is the Nitro Magnum Butt distance spin. 7'6" rated 4 - 6kg, but handles 15lb braid easily. I have the 5 piece version which I take everywhere as it fits in a suitcase (and I have taken it as carry on luggage). I usually hang a 3000 size Daiwa on it, so a 4000 size Shimano would also balance well. Great snapper on plastics rod, but still light enough for whiting. Its just as good as a land based rod as it is in a boat. I use it on the beach when conditions suit and it handles lures up to 30g. I also use it as a soft plastics rig for flathead, or with a whole pillie on ganged hooks around southern Yorkes beaches. It has handled spanish mackerel, big queenies, trevally to 7 or 8 kg, long tail tuna and a big potato cod up in the NT a few years ago, so would handle mid size tuna down here if you have a reel with enough line capacity, but only casting small poppers or stickbaits as its too soft in the tip to troll anything but the smaller Pakula or Williamson skirts. I am currently using a Storm Gomoku Erito (red model) matched to a 3000 sized daiwa and agree with Shorejigger that if you want a boat only set up, these are tough, fun to use and very cheap for what you get.

Think I was fishing a whole Tommie when I got that smoothie..I reckon I'd fish a medium to small whole squid quite comfy but I guess it depends how much lead your using.. It's alright around metro and stuff but if you need 6oz to fish the bottom it's not gna handle it.If your chasing snapper and whiting in 30m or less it'll be alrightAlso a great plastics rod for snapper which is what I originally bought it for but ended up bait fishing with it more so