need recommendation - long 'whippy' rod for gar

I recently read that a long 'whippy' rod is what you need for Gar as it can handle the float well and cast it out to where the gar are. So anyone have any recommendation for a rod before I go out and buy one? I don't want to rely fully on the advice on the clerk as he may be influenced to sell surplus or old stock. This is for land based fishing and don't mind spending a bit for a good quality rod.

Have a look at the nibble tips at around 8'6"many of them are rubbish but if you can find a Tica Xtreme and use the green tip they are the bomb,can also double as a land based YF whiting  or bream rod.

cheers nereus

If only Australia wasn't a crap market, we'd be getting all of the awesome stuff.  

In the Japanese market, there is a entire market for Ultralight Saltwater rods.  Rods specifically designed to target Yellow Tail Scad. Similar to Yakkas and Slimeys here.  Those rods are perfect for Gar or any small bread & butter species.  

But if I was to buy a rod for Gar I'd buy anything with with a superfine, sensitive tip.  A UL Breamstick, trout rod, etc.  I remember having a super light fiberglass rod when I was younger. Casting distance to reach Gar? I had berley for that so it wasn't an issue. (Curry Powder!)

Scour classifieds for a bargain on some higher quality rods. 

Maybe the daiwa presso trout? Mind you I have never held one, but it could be the go only being around the $100 mark and a nice light rod

MiSCrEANT- you wouldn't happen to have a website or be able I point me in the direction of looking at the Japanese rods they have out there?

PM will be sent.

The Japanese 'light game' and 'Aji' rods will be the ones to look for.

Most have a cast weight of around 0.5 - 10g and length between 6-8ft.

That's the one, I own three.

I do a bit of float fishing with a stick float trotting a single maggot on a size 14 fine wire hook and a English style float rod in the Onka. 

Longer is better for trotting out in the current, 12ft to 14ft rods are not too long and they only weigh a few ounces.

These rods are not easy to find tho' a certain Tackle Dealer down at Victor Harbor was brought up fishing with them in his Homeland.

and would be sure to help out?

Float rods are very forgiving with their "through actions" and given time, you will be able to land some very heavy fish with a correct drag setting and some patience.

A flurocarbon leader as light as one kilo makes this a most enjoyable way to spend time at the water side and look out if a hefty bream or soapy takes a shine to your gent.

A handful of shop bought fine breadcrumbs with a trickle of gents as ground bait will have the fish feeding well within minutes of setting up.

Mullet, bream, Mullys, Silver whiting, Yellowfin whiting, KG Whiting, flathead, salmon trout, tommies and Gar are all suckers for this outfit and I'll try and find a few piccies to post to back up what I've just written?

I do a bit of float fishing with a stick float trotting a single maggot on a size 14 fine wire hook and a English style float rod in the Onka. 

Longer is better for trotting out in the current, 12ft to 14ft rods are not too long and they only weigh a few ounces.

These rods are not easy to find tho' a certain Tackle Dealer down at Victor Harbor was brought up fishing with them in his Homeland.

and would be sure to help out?

Float rods are very forgiving with their "through actions" and given time, you will be able to land some very heavy fish with a correct drag setting and some patience.

A flurocarbon leader as light as one kilo makes this a most enjoyable way to spend time at the water side and look out if a hefty bream or soapy takes a shine to your gent.

A handful of shop bought fine breadcrumbs with a trickle of gents as ground bait will have the fish feeding well within minutes of setting up.

Mullet, bream, Mullys, Silver whiting, Yellowfin whiting, KG Whiting, flathead, salmon trout, tommies and Gar are all suckers for this outfit and I'll try and find a few piccies to post to back up what I've just written?

Image-88.jpg

Image-90.jpg

Image-97.jpg

Image-98.jpg

Image-100.jpg

Image-110.jpg

Image-115.jpg

Image-116.jpg