What do you use?

This is tough, coz it depends on the species for me! I've had two trips out in the last coupla weeks, on one trip I only used lures and on the other trip I only used bait.For Bream I only use sp's or hb's (dependant on the area and depth of water).For Salmon hb's.For Snook hb's.For whiting bait.For shark bait.For slimeys bait.For Gar bait.Etc, etc, etc.So what do I use MOST? It will depend what fish I'm currently targetting MOST!

Guest dabilda

Bait & sp's I ticked, but could tick hb's too.Flies is what the aeroguard is for, always have that too.Really depends what is around on the day, in the boat 90% bait with a squid jig out or lures for Salmon, Snook etc.Landbased becomes more a 50/50 bait & lures.From that I'd have to say mostly bait but closely followed by lures.But I'm a fisherman that doesn't target a species, I go out for a relaxing day and target a feed. When I have enough I go home. Not really into C & R either unless they're under legal size. If I've reached my limit or they are not a fish I want to take home, I'd rather not catch them at all.

HB's and SP's for me :D depending on the location I'm fishing and I will have one of each on a rod ready to go so I can change quick as needed ;) even in open water the other day with Ranger, we were bait fishing and I chucked out an SP and bounced it across the bottom :D it got wrecked by those bloody puffers ::) but I will throw a lure and any species, 99% of the time its Bream :D;) loves me lure fishing :fishing:

Hb's and SP's for me as long as I am on the land, once out in the boat it's a different story although the more I go out the more that is changing as well.Up the coorong it all lures but the ocean it's still slowly transforming with SP's being the way to go for most species.A lot of things will still only take bait but once they come up with SP this and that... well... the sky is the limit really.... ;D

gidday all ;D *cant use SPs as the river is nearly always brown ( unless someone can show me how)* always start with bait Fresh or Frozen. if no action thru the water column*change to hardbodies (with rattles or spinerbaits) *go back to bait till sundown*start on carlton cold then port till whenever** oh did i say im fishing the Darling River for goldern perch:icon_lol:*cheers peelipeeli 13heres a photo of the darling river about as clear as it gets [thumb][/thumb] [file name=Fva6a3ao__14.1 size=59063]http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/Fva6a3ao__14.1[/file]

Pelli give em a go mate... If they are prepared to take them when it's night time I'm sure a little dirty water won't distract them too much.I have got many a fish in dirty dams with lures so I can't see the difference champ. It's easy to stick to what you know, but much more rewarding catching them in different methods than what you are used to 8)

giday jaggerconvinced myself early on that if people catch barra on them in dirty water they should work in our water ive tried a few up here never done any good,only snags .have tried rigging with hook point hidden just inside the sp.still snagged, also tried bobbing (like jigging only not as aggresive)for hours in and around fallen gum trees using various stiles of sp's no luck, :-\ mabee i should get my bream gear out and try casting with that? I just need to get the first fish i guess ! thanks for the reply cheers peelipeeli 13

Bait & sp's I ticked, but could tick hb's too.Flies is what the aeroguard is for, always have that too.Really depends what is around on the day, in the boat 90% bait with a squid jig out or lures for Salmon, Snook etc.Landbased becomes more a 50/50 bait & lures.From that I'd have to say mostly bait but closely followed by lures.But I'm a fisherman that doesn't target a species, I go out for a relaxing day and target a feed. When I have enough I go home. Not really into C & R either unless they're under legal size. If I've reached my limit or they are not a fish I want to take home, I'd rather not catch them at all.

Once upon a time I was just a bait fisherman .used to take a seat and just sit and catch a few fish.Then one day a European wasp came out and stung me .A week latter in the same spot the swarm came after me.Thats when I discovered fly fishing And thats Salt Water fly fishing And just for Dabilda thats the way they fish in heaven :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Species so far Salmon TroutBream Mulloway hooked and lost either bust offs or spits .And when I see bait guys or gals sitting there waiting for the fish I now think gee that looks boring.cheershave a good one guys .
  • 2 weeks later...

I ticked bait then SPs but I also use HB and spinners also flyfish both fresh and salt.I mostly fish from the boat so it is bait on one rod, out sternwards, while I jig an SP over the side or sometimes a stickbait. I sometimes spin in the shallows for flatties while the bait rod is set in a channel for schoolies.I like to flyfish for trout and SP or spin/hb for redfin, sometimes spin for trout.depends on the day, but bait = Maggots, worms, grubs, yabbies, cockles etcwhich I prefer to catch mayself. Then little fish for bigger fish. SPs, spinners, hard bodies, stick/jig baits, jigtails and various combos that I like to make myself. Sometimes I will take a vintage lure from my collection just to see if they still work. Home tied flies both salt and freshwater though not so much these days. Oh! to be forty years younger.CheersRogerG

Guest undertaker

99.9% of the time is bait......though I have been "guilty" of using a surf popper for salmon at Browns and Salt Creek with a bit of success.Never really seen anything caught on a lure (except on TV),but,I did witness a young guy over on Yorkes catch an Eagle Ray.....perhaps 15kg.......on 6lb line with one of those "Prawn Star" lures.Great effort,and equally good release ;)