Gunn Snapper bait

Guest addict

Guest Butters

i have heard ppl talking about using whiting frames as bait.. hook through the head and the frames swims in the current... apparently it works.. i haven't used it myself though..I have caught mine on squid heads and tommie, sometime butterflying the tommie fillet and baiting it up inside out.. (skin side facing in)

• 3 months later...
Guest addict

this season squid fresh was the gunn bait i never rated squid at all untill now in previous seasons the humble calamari only attracted trouble like rays doggies and skates while fish baits worked a charm pillies slimies ect this season we also managed a few live pillies mixed in with the slimies witch was a first for us SAD DAD are you a local adelaide snapper fisherman or country one and with a user name like that i hope this site brightens things up for you then we can call you happy dad {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif welcome aboard buddy looking forward to your imput and knowlege and hopping some more members can also start getting on board and share some of there experiences with us cheers addict

Guest Butters

ohright fellas... i just found this one youtube... shows the size baits that can be used for snappers.. this is a live kahawai (NZ salmon lookin thing)Awesome footage.. and new angle at looking at the fish taking a live bait..

i heard from a bloke in my shopHe went on a charter off port Hughes i think,And they caught all the big ones on Carp!!!!!!

Been using carp for ages myself. Sure it stinks but its oilly and tuff! Have caught snapper, bream, and salmon on it. Havent yet tried it on the whiting but couldnt see why it wouldnt work.Another gun bait for the reds is sauries (cross between a pillie and a gardie) gr8 bait.
  • 1 month later...
ohright fellas... i just found this one youtube... shows the size baits that can be used for snappers.. this is a live kahawai (NZ salmon lookin thing)Awesome footage.. and new angle at looking at the fish taking a live bait.. Great footage. Kawai is an Australian Salmon. That NZ fishow show is great. Nice work

I reckon snapper will take just about anything on the dayIve caught snapper on:tommiessalmon filletspilchardssquid/cuttlefishcarpgarfishsnook and whiting headsshark filletsand I also know a few blokes at Arno that regularly get them on plastic {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

I reckon snapper will take just about anything on the dayIve caught snapper on:tommiessalmon filletspilchardssquid/cuttlefishcarpgarfishsnook and whiting headsshark filletsand I also know a few blokes at Arno that regularly get them on plastic {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

yeah thanx Big Alforgot to mention for the challenge & fun of it all using soft plastics for snapperis by far more fun than using bait.lighter outfit, lighter line, no mess = more fun, more of a challenge & can outfish bait on those hard to get a bite days easily. gotta to be seen to be believedcheersBigAshhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MPO8LShvU
  • 7 months later...

i have heard ppl talking about using whiting frames as bait.. hook through the head and the frames swims in the current... apparently it works.. i haven't used it myself though..I have caught mine on squid heads and tommie, sometime butterflying the tommie fillet and baiting it up inside out.. (skin side facing in)

caught my one and only snapper of 13.2kg using a skeleton....i have also caught many a fish from the rocks using t as well.... cept i cut the head in half(lengthwise) and just send that out minus the skeleton...the skeleton gets used as berley,(try and see just how much you will find in the guts of caught fish) and bait if the wind is good for casting.... one thing i have learnt....ITS BLOODY HARD TO CAST A SKELETON INTO A 30KNOT HEAD WIND.... if you get 50 feet its a fantastic cast. ;D
  • 2 months later...

just back from a rockhop.... rough as guts, very dirty water.... i got 2 snapper in less than 20mins, then packed up and came home...by far the quickest ive landed snapper.in total i cast out 3 times, less than 40mtrs from shore, and used just one tommy cut in half for the 2 fish..... could have stayed and tried for some small as well, but whats the point.... i got some good feeds so came home.snapper sizes? 73cm and 84cm....the smaller was FULL of blue swimmer crabs...the bigger was empty.who said rock fishing is dead?

Rocknev... awesome session mate. You must love living over there. :fishing:Would love to get a few like that for a weekends feed.Tinghunter.. welcome mate.. I rocknev was talking about a rockhop (rock fishing ie.. hopping over rocks to get to the spot) not at rockhop (if there is such a place ) ;)

to anyone interested.... i use an ALVEY 50C sidecast reel, hung below a SNYDERGLAS 13ft 6 inch 2 piece rod.... ive had the rod and rell for over 18yrs, and has pulled hundreds of snapper at the moment im trialing out circlehooks.. i use one on the bottom and just a suicide 4.0 on the top... and both fish were caught on the suicide... both lip hooked. normally i release most of the snapper i catch, but these are for a special after shutdown bbq at work for the shoft im on...fish caught around the rocks near whyalla....THE ROUGHER THE BETTER....when its very rough as it has been, just about anywhere will hold fish... landing them is a different matter as everything is against you to land them... rocks, huge clubs of floating weed, drop offs, razor fish and big ledges all work against you when winding a fish in...not to mentione the fish pull a lot harder in the shallow water, and use the backwash to aid there escape...i have a choice of rock fishing, or boat fishing.... stuff the boat.... i have a great deal more fun from the rocks.last year i landed 61 legal snapper from the rocks... lost many, and missed many more. also got beat up by some serious rays, and also spotted a white pointer about 200mtrs out making mince meat of a stingray on the surface.have caight snapper on squid, tommy, shitty and a mth ago landed the one and only fish on a squid head that somehow got left in the bucket for 5 days in 40degree heat.. man wasnt that rotten, was intended to feed to the rock crabs, but brother said hook it up and sail it out... that bait lasted less than 5 mins, and was the only fish caught.