Tip for catching Squid

hey,when i go squiding and its a bit cloudy or the water is murky, i wrap my squid jag with alfoil and secure it with some white sewing thread. this reflects any sun available and always works....ive found this to be more popular than some of the expensive jags and you can make 3 or 4 for the same price.

Great tip. Believe it or not though, if you can get a pure white jag it will actually reflect more light than the alfoil. Learnt this from the construction of reflectors for aquarium lights, a white base is always preferred to alfoil because it reflects more light back down for plant growth. Of course if you get any mess on your white jag it will start losing it's reflection but I'd recommend a hard bodied glossy white jag for those murky conditions :) Alfoil easily does the trick too though as it does still act like a great reflector and is the quicker and cheaper option most of the time.

Heres a tip for when the squid are really touchy... fo fishing with a jag on hand, when ya catch a fish let it thrash on the surface for a while and a squid should come out and grab it. When the squid doest this pull the fish from it and quickly chuck the jag in its face, and by this time the squid is usually upset about losing its meal so it will grab the jag for sure, just be careful not to scare it though... this worked really well last time we went to Tumby Bay.

When using a bait up style jig always scale the fish first before putting it on. Fish scales help fish blend into their environment. When they are scaled they are easier for the squid to see and find.Also when squiding keep another jag on a line in the top layers of water in close and visible while you cast and retrieve another line further out. Squids like to move about in packs and it it not unusual for a hooked squid being wound in to have its mate following behind then suddenly see your other jag closer in and grab hold of it. I catch more squid using this method off jetties.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

here is a great tip first rule of thumb if water is clear then u use natural colours when water is murky you use bright colour jagsand remember BURLEY crushed up pillies and i mean crushed up put into a surface burley pot and if they r around the area the scent of the crushed pillies will bring em in ,we tryed this method in the one spot on 2 consective days with very rough and murky waterday 1 didnt use the crushed pillies but tryed all other tricks for 3 squid in 6 hrs day 2 same conditions but more wind and chop so b4 any jags in we got a pkt of brined pillys and mushed em up in there packet then put into a floating burley pot we gave it 10 mins to get started then had one tommy on a witch,a prawn jag on float ,an i was casting and retreving a prawn jag well to cut a long storie short we bagged out in 2 hrs having a steady steam comming ova the side..another thing its not just the shinnyness that attracts themone of my deadlyest jag cost me $30 and it will out fish any other jag(and i have ova 100 of them)and its not a shinny one reflects not one bit of light ,but instead its the most realastic prawn that i have seen and looks like an atuall prawnnot just a shape and unlike alot of the imatation prawn type jags dont swim right and sink head first,where as this type swims paralle with a slight downward motion its the only type i have found hovers along the weed beds instead of going in thembut i have been unfortunatly told that they dont make it anymore andwhilest there r a make off off the origanals they arnt as good .tight lines and give it ago nxt time conditions arnt the best