I knock the general edge off on a cheap flat stone then put some work into it on another flat wet stone that was made for sharpening Planes(very flat and fine)then on the steel for a smooth off.I usually have to do this because the rest of the clan use my knifes for chopping anything so when i come to use it its knackered.During filleting i just give it a run on the steel every 6 fish or so. cheers brenton

I now use one of these Furi Tech Edge sharpeners, since another member here (thanx Yobbo) recently introduced me to them.It's the only knife sharpening system I've found which REALLY works, guarantees the angle of the bevel (20 degrees) and is dead simple to use.They are now used in leading kitchens, and everyone I know who is using one, swears by it's efficacy!Sure as sh*t beats the hell out of a sharpening stone in my book, and trying to maintain the angle of the blade on the stone, which is where most go wrong when trying to sharpen their knives on a stone. I've tossed my sharpening stones, and solely rely on this little sharpener now.http://www.everten.com.au/product/Furi-Knife-Sharpener-Tech-Edge.htmlPosted Image

Tech Edge Restorer.Tungsten carbide cutters quickly and accurately reshape worn cutting edges to create the correct profile for further honing steps. Diamond Fingers Sharpener.Diamond coated springs apply a very sharp and accurate micro serration to the cutting edge. The coarse honed edge is ideal for cooks knives and most kitchen knives. Tech Hone Fingers.Hardened striated stainless steel fingers apply a very fine and extremely sharp final hone to the cutting edge. This is ideal for fine slicing knives and most small knives. ABS Folding Handle.Each of the Tech Edge sharpening components are easily slotted into and out of the innovative folding handle. The handle folds flat for easy storage. A wire guard protects the hand from injury from any accidental misguided blades.

http://www.furitechnics.com.au/products_sharpening_eu.html

FÜRI SHARPENINGThe Füri TECH EDGE Pro Knife Sharpening System was developed by the engineers and chefs at Furi Brands after years of new research into cutting edges and has revolutionized knife sharpening. The System is a big leap forward in knife sharpening technology and has virtually overnight rendered traditional sharpening and honing tools obsolete.The Füri TECH EDGE Pro Knife Sharpening System combines three stages of professional knife sharpening into one simple and compact unit.The first stage TECH EDGE Restorer quickly reshapes worn edges with accurately angled tungsten carbide cutters. The TECH EDGE 'fingers' of Stages 2 and 3 are curved in such a way that the perfect 20° cutting edge angles are always maintained, while producing the correct edge finish. All 3 components click in and out of a sturdy handle that folds flat for easy storage.The Füri TECH EDGE Pro Knife Sharpening System has been joined by the Füri OZITECH Knife Sharpener, a revolutionary compact sharpener designed for 'grab-and-go' sharpening on the run (fishing, camping, outdoor enthusiasts). Patents are pending on the design which incorporates 8 stainless steel fingers bonded with crushed industrial diamonds, inside a tough folding clam-shell case which doubles as a handle and hand guard when unfolded.

Check this out for an instructional video, and to see the difference between using one of these and a sharpening stone.http://www.furitechnics.com.au/faq_sharpening_eu.html

I can sharpen a chisel to a razor edge no problems, but always suck at getting a truly sharp edge on a knife :-[ But after Yobbo put me onto this I now find when using mine I can get a sharp enough edge to shave hair off my arm. :othey are that good.

How and what do you blokes use to sharpen knives?I normally polish mine to a razor edge on a buffing wheel but out in the boat I use a swiss combo star.I'm interested in seeing how others go about sharpening their knives :)

I think your knives are sharp enough - still have the mark on my arm after that slip with your knife!Interesting subject though.Blunt knives are far more dangerous than sharp ones.

How and what do you blokes use to sharpen knives?I normally polish mine to a razor edge on a buffing wheel but out in the boat I use a swiss combo star.I'm interested in seeing how others go about sharpening their knives :)

I think your knives are sharp enough - still have the mark on my arm after that slip with your knife!Interesting subject though.Blunt knives are far more dangerous than sharp ones.
/I have to disagree.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageThis knife was just sharpened. 3 tendons severed.

/I have to disagree.This knife was just sharpened. 3 tendons severed.
Ouch!!!!Hope you are alright now!!!!

On the mend now thanks Tyke. 3 weeks left and i can remove my splint. Be able to crank a reel :fishing: I had no idea it was that deep then I looked at it could see the bone and couldnt move my fingers. Really glad I had only sharpened the knife a few hours beforehand :-[

I have to be honest that is an impressive wound though I have to agree those are clean cuts as where a blunt knife can cause more damage due to the edge tearing and not slicing. Being a nurse (aswell multi talented I am) i have seen some rippers and the worse ones are always from a dull blade. Think of the pressure difference you use to cut with a dull blade.

we've got killer sharpeners at the shop! they've got a suction cap on the bottom, with a similar thing to your navman's, cam lock like set up. There good when you clean stuff like sharks, when you constantly need a razor sharp edge... specially if you touch their skin. Cant remember exactly but i recon there about $30??

Hey ranger is this sharpener as good as the one you are showing.

Yep, it's also the same brand!It loo0ks as if that is a little portable version, which only has the one blade attachment for touching up the edge, where as the one I showed has 3 seperate blade attachments to bring even the most abused old knife back to life quickly.

Ok thanks Ranger, thats wot i was after. The ones i put a pic of are on ebay for 40 bucks postage included.Might have to pop in and have a look Coight although I dont think I need a killer sharpener, I did enough damage usin the last one. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...