Best 3 Jigs

Thats a hard one. I rotate jigs every trip and have different favorites each season and also as the season changes.

The last 12 months this jig has dominated with 40 of the last 50 squid caught on a size 3 Shimano Sephia clinch flash boost. Color seems to matter as I've run this jig head to head with the same size and style jig in a slightly darker pink and all the squid have gone for the favourite

s7.jpg

s6.jpg

No 2 pick, especially in the Brighton area would have to be a fluoro green yellow

My favourite is the size 3 Yo Zuri on the top, but the Evergreen, DJP, Yamashita and original Yozuri Aurie Q in the same color all work.

This jig will work most conditions, low light or full sun, but it depends on the day.

s5.jpg.39fa443a9c658f08b8725da77f6a9371.jpg

Honorable mention and if I could have a fourth pick it would be a light or white colored jig. I like to throw this if it is bright or if there are alot of baitfish around.

I would include the white with redhead in the same group. I haven't done that well with the red head but have seen my mate clean up fishing next to me with the white and redhead jig.

Finally at night I like a glow jig, lots of options here.

s3.jpg

5 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Thats a hard one. I rotate jigs every trip and have different favorites each season and also as the season changes.

I asked strictly for 3 only  ,,,  and you offer FIVE !!! 🙄

But judging from that collection on your wall, Totally understandable :laugh:

I am a newbie to Squid fishing, however a grandson visiting in November, insists we go catch one. :12_slight_smile:

Kelvin, now that you have started, you will have to elaborate on the "glow Jigs"

17 hours ago, Des said:

I can only take 3 squid jigs on a trip. Thats it.

Which 3 will they be?

What Colours, Sizes, Brands?

Which 3 will provide best chances of success in all scenarios ?  

Simplest approach would be to grab 3 red-heads, any brand, in size 3.0, as they just catch lots of squid.

But if you want to try a few others, here are my recommendations.

Size

I find 3.0 size jigs the most versatile. They have enough weight to cast well and have a good sink rate for most conditions. If the current is really ripping and you need a heavier jig, you can add a small 2gm sinker, either one specifically made to attach to squid jigs or just a ball sinker to the line. If you find yourself in a shallow area and keep getting snagged, you can put the jig under a float. You can still get the jig to jerk up under the float, but it stops it from going too low and getting snagged.

Colours

First pick would be a red-head and even better if its also phosphorescent so it glows at night. Rui is a good choice for this type of jig.

rui-4-0-rui-squid-jig-kr56-red-head-glow-egi-fishing-lure-30629341823163_500x.jpg.0d38ff0cfab6ce519ce17af4f37895a7.jpg

Second pick would be a natural colour like a silver or bluey silver. Rui make a couple of good ones a mullet and a pilchard.

rui-3-0-rui-squid-jig-gs05-mullet-egi-fishing-lure-30004526121147_500x.jpg.3d930ceed9508b7abd60f6e1326531f2.jpg

rui-4-0-rui-squid-jig-gs04-pilchard-egi-fishing-lure-30569800106171_960x.jpg.596fbb0164d62b27482732d93580afdd.jpg

Yamashita also make some good natural colour jigs in the Yamashita Sutte R range.

BCF_293854_nkn_hi-res.jpg.f6a205820b23a67bf14fce9a2f6abbbb.jpg

653937413_egisutternnd-nmi.jpg.3e7e9c8ce902b18e70dc397787d18ba2.jpg

Third pick is something with a prawn like pattern. I've had a lot of success with a Rui jig with a white body and orange prawn stripes (it also glows in the dark)

rui-3-5-rui-squid-jig-kr54-uv-glow-egi-fishing-lure-29997214531771_500x.jpg.39bfb9aebe0b316946a3969b0195c336.jpg

I've also had a lot of success with prawn pattern jigs from Duel

ajax-upload1650620093jsyVt2KGuinQNv5E.png.1c07b1b6111c79d82c8ba44d6e32dc15.png

ajax-upload1650872412k82DHSumJQRztEsW.png.648e73c8b69e0520e9641f6a94d70692.png

Another good jig has been by Yozuri (owned by the same company as Duel)

ajax-upload1654644609xwjucztUH8hFdNke.png.8a76cf2ebe3f27bbcf81d6eabc1aacba.png

Brands

When squid are schooled up, any jig will work. But when you need to put in more effort, the better quality jigs do make a difference in terms of how they sink, dart through the water and sit on the bottom if you let them fall all the way (you want them to sit at 45 degrees with the barbs up to reduce the chance of snags and to increase the hook up if a squid snatches off the bottom).

Rui is a brand that can be bought from many tackle stores and they have an online store. Excellent balance between quality and price. Yamashita  can also be found in many stores and online, the Sutte R range is probably on par with Rui for quality.

Duel and many Yo-Zuri jigs are not as readily available in store, but can be found easily online. There are excellent quality jigs and often have added features like silicone legs that waft and create extra movement or they rattle when jerked. These extra features are not absolutely needed, but can help when the squid are not fired up.

rui-4-0-rui-squid-jig-gs04-pilchard-egi-fishing-lure-30569800106171_960x.jpg

3 hours ago, MAH said:

When squid are schooled up, any jig will work. But when you need to put in more effort, the better quality jigs do make a difference in terms of how they sink, dart through the water and sit on the bottom if you let them fall all the way (you want them to sit at 45 degrees with the barbs up to reduce the chance of snags and to increase the hook up if a squid snatches off the bottom).

Rui is a brand that can be bought from many tackle stores and they have an online store. Excellent balance between quality and price. Yamashita  can also be found in many stores and online, the Sutte R range is probably on par with Rui for quality.

Duel and many Yo-Zuri jigs are not as readily available in store, but can be found easily online. There are excellent quality jigs and often have added features like silicone legs that waft and create extra movement or they rattle when jerked. These extra features are not absolutely needed, but can help when the squid are not fired up.

Thanks a Million MAH.

If I correctly recall, was it you that put up an extensive post on Squid fishing? I could not find the section in which you posted.  Could you put a link to the post here please.

Better still perhaps @doobie or @bjorn2fish could relocate to the "Squid fish Files" for ongoing reference.

Cheers Des

Hi Des

I think this was the post

I've changed a couple of things. I now use an Atomic Arrowz squid rod. It has a much shorter butt than most squid rods and I like how it feels in my hand for casting. I've also dropped down in diameter for my braid, so the line has less drag. I still think for a land based fisho lures are one of the least important parts. Being able to cast a good distance to weedy beds has been more important for me. When in my Yak, I use a really cheap 6 foot rod and an old Shimano Sienna reel, as there is no need to cast far, so jigs move up in terms of importance. When in my yak I catch probably 50% on a handline with the jig bobbing up and down under a float.

My colour preference is basically the same as Kelvin's, Green being my favourite since I caught my first squid on a green jag 35 odd years ago and literally thousands since.

MAH's selection wouldn't make me sad either, indeed I'd be confident of cleaning up with what he picked and the 3.0 size is the most versatile in my opinion also.

As mentioned squid are pretty easy most of the time and will take any quality jag but small natural colours can make the difference in touchy squid in clear water and large bright ones seem better in murky conditions, some glow definitely seems advantageous at night.

Somewhat counterintuitively black also can be great in lowlight or murky conditions, the theory (I first saw 35 years ago in fishing mags RE night fishing for bass in NSW) is black creates the best silhouette, I was not a believer until I got stuck with a mates black sephia similar to Kelvin's second from bottom on the right in the yak selection, absolutely destroyed 3 other guys 2 to every one between them over 2 days in murky conditions and at night on various jetties both sides of YP so I'm now a believer and have never looked back.

I suspect that the same would hold for your YFW if it was murky or if you were mad enough to have a crack at night.

14 hours ago, Wert said:

My colour preference is basically the same as Kelvin's, Green being my favourite since I caught my first squid on a green jag 35 odd years ago and literally thousands since.

MAH's selection wouldn't make me sad either, indeed I'd be confident of cleaning up with what he picked and the 3.0 size is the most versatile in my opinion also.

As mentioned squid are pretty easy most of the time and will take any quality jag but small natural colours can make the difference in touchy squid in clear water and large bright ones seem better in murky conditions, some glow definitely seems advantageous at night.

Somewhat counterintuitively black also can be great in lowlight or murky conditions, the theory (I first saw 35 years ago in fishing mags RE night fishing for bass in NSW) is black creates the best silhouette, I was not a believer until I got stuck with a mates black sephia similar to Kelvin's second from bottom on the right in the yak selection, absolutely destroyed 3 other guys 2 to every one between them over 2 days in murky conditions and at night on various jetties both sides of YP so I'm now a believer and have never looked back.

I suspect that the same would hold for your YFW if it was murky or if you were mad enough to have a crack at night.

Thanks for the input Wert. There is a bit of common ground with all the recommendations.

I have fished often at night for YFW  ... on bait. Have not had success with lures after dark. 

But i just might adapt some of the concepts from the squid jag and see how we go.

23 minutes ago, Des said:

Thanks again MAH. What brand are these?

Duel

Not the easiest to find. Sportfishing Scene at Cavan have the best local stock. Looks like they have the top green jig in stock but a 3.5 only (nothing wrong with this size jig, it sinks very slightly faster). Their online store says they have one left in stock for $24.99.

https://sportfishingscene.com.au/collections/lures/products/duel-ez-q-cast-plus?variant=43779590586610

On 04/09/2023 at 8:49 PM, Des said:

Thanks a Million MAH.

If I correctly recall, was it you that put up an extensive post on Squid fishing? I could not find the section in which you posted.  Could you put a link to the post here please.

Better still perhaps @doobie or @bjorn2fish could relocate to the "Squid fish Files" for ongoing reference.

Cheers Des

That would be a Bjorn job - he has the controls :)