getting spooled!!!!!!

just wanted to know whats the biggest run you have ever had from a fish/shark. ive had 200 meters of 50lbs braid pulled off by a nice shark once and alot fron kings before i gave chase but never had a spooling of sorts.ive had a mate tell me while fishing a well known shark ground off adelaide that he had 500 meters plus of 50lb line on full lock taken off his reel by a unknown shark in one minute flat, untill it bit through his 300lb wire. reel was too hot to touch after.lol. he has caught alot of sharks well over 8 foot but this wouldnt of been a bronzie he said no way too fast. just one other guess. lol. anyone had a big bronzie take more than 400 meters?

biggest run off normanville jetty huge snook cut in half ran atleast 250-300 of 50 mono before i turned eventually losing it but only time even close to spooled.Landed bronze over 8foot of brighton ran only 100 metres before turned its head got it to shore in 25 min mate went in to drag it out but still green as **** another 80 or so metre run and 20 more min we were dragging up the beach.Know a lad who got spooled on 50 wide last nov at brighton he had footage took about 2 min till spool emptied unstoppable white.

Had a huge run one night, a long time ago, at Tapleys on a full freshly caught Cuttlefish head on 50lb mono, on a Shimano 6500 Bait Runner! By the way a great reel with a super smooth drag! After a non stop several minutes run, I kept increasing the drag slowly as I could start to see the end of the spool! Eventually stopping the run. Unfortunately I was not quick enough in thinking of releasing the drag back while starting to retrieve some line(still very inexperienced back then) and as the "beast" went for the second run it broke me! To make things worst, I got upset and forgot to readjust the drag all together. Next outing, after having respooled the reel, had a great Snapper run in BaitRunner mode but as soon as I engaged the drag I lost another fish as the drag was still in full lock! This time I made sure I corrected the drag for good!. It was amazing how that original fish had kept the drag going during that original first run as to me it seemed in full lock! Always wondered what was on the other side of that line that night at Taplyes!Opti

only happened once to me...spent the night sleeping at pt lowly without a touch all night.was just about to pack up and go home, when the rod bent double and the alvey ran like never before...and didnt stop... i grabbed the rod, struck hard, and held on for dear life...hell i never even managed to get a single turn on the alvey...its took 100mtrs in 20 seconds, then snapped...i wound in , and the 25 lb line had not snapped, but the 50lb hook trace was snapped in half.dont know what it was, but big kings, mullaway, eagles, and sharks come around here.

All i can say is, dont even try and reel a stingray in on 16lb line haha. only had about 200ft on there was using the line to pull up crabs as the net was failing but half a squid head was getting a crab every minute on the line! Watched a big object swim under the jetty, take my bait and run, stopped after about 100ft, started to get it back and then took what was left on the spool. Meh it was a good excuse to put better line on

saw a guy get spooled on a penn 9/0 1000 mtrs 50lb off a west coast beach about 20years ago the reel was smoking and the side plates where red hot it was a 4mtr white and it took a 8lb live salmon it was all over in about 10mins . in the same spot about ayear later my mate got a 9ft 10in bronzie on a penn 6/0 ran 150mtr out then over 1 k down the beach . cheers

One Night last week out the back off Gardern Isl. Near St Kilda . I Got Hooked up on something That PULL me around and gave me fight I will never forget , for what felt like it took for ever ( I think it was about 20 mins.). With my heart beating ten to the dozen , My Penn overhead screem off again and again every time I got some line back it would take twice that off again . :ohmy: Never did see what it was , :angry: It snap off a 80lb Braid main line it had 100lb leader. That I didnt mind but loosing $30 lure did. The Fight it gave me it was well worth it, Just for the memoreis. IT was my first big hook up. P--s OFF NO Photo and no one to share it with BUT it something I will never foreget. :cheer: Watersnake

I had a ray off a West Coast beach empty my Penn 9500ss of well over 400m of 30lb mono almost fully locked in one big run.... Took a whole Salmon.... and took the whole line in one run.... It was just playing around in the surf and I was hoping it was a decent Mully, but once I got to my rod and really started to give it curry it headed for the horizon and wouldn't stop!!!

my ultimate spool was on a hand line .was on local jetty for squid, got a few and me and bro were leaving.started walking and got almost to the car, when the handline jumped out of the bucket? WTF it had no line on it....oops...my bad :blush: i can remember taking the jig off, but i must have left the swivel hanging, and it got hooked on the jetty planks, and just peeled off as i walked...so i had to wind it all back on while walking out to the jetty again...it was about 2am, so nobody was around thank christ

• 2 weeks later...

was bout my third time round playin with big snapper on 1kg had a 1000 stradic spooled right up got blitzed in about 25 seconds was a good laugh :P but we started using 2 to 3 spools of 1kg at a time had one snapper take almost 2 spools out got it back and it went 8.8 my pb for 1as for sharks only ever lost about maybe 70 to 80 mters at 1 time

rocknev wrote:

my ultimate spool was on a hand line .was on local jetty for squid, got a few and me and bro were leaving.started walking and got almost to the car, when the handline jumped out of the bucket? WTF it had no line on it....oops...my bad :blush: i can remember taking the jig off, but i must have left the swivel hanging, and it got hooked on the jetty planks, and just peeled off as i walked...so i had to wind it all back on while walking out to the jetty again...it was about 2am, so nobody was around thank christ

:laugh::laugh::laugh: :cheer: a packed jetty would have been a bit embarrassing, lucky no one was there Rocknev...