what type of flies should i be useing in the onk?

Not really into fly fishin myself but I would work out what fish are in the area you intend fishing and find out/work out what types/colours of fly work on those species and choose something that as similar as possible between them. Or as with lure fishin take as many colours/patterns as you can and just see how each of them go.

As a starting point .....Crazy charlies will catch bream mullies and salmon. Chartruese will work on all,Pink baited breaths are a great first fly for bream. Sizes 4 to 6 are fairly popular.White / Blue profile clousers are a great starting point on the mullies. Sizes 2 - 2/0 fairly popular. Becareful casting these if you are a begginer, make sure you wear a hat. Its not uncommon to wear the odd fly in the back of the head. :blush: especially if its windy. :blush: Salmon will take anything once you locate them. We've caught salmon with white cotton wool crudely attached to a hook.Welcome to the site by the wayGL looking forward to hearing your results the onks a great fishery :P

Waterboy wrote:

You the bloke I put onto the site in the shop today? If so or even if not - welcome to the site ;):P Mark

haha yes it is mate cheers for the head up about this site loving it :laugh: and thanks for your help Highfly and vb4me great help im going out to the mouth in the morning ill let you's know how it goes :)

Yep, Highfly is a wealth of knowledge, always willing to share and some top suggestions there too.The Onk is a great fishery for fly fishing as well.Baited Breathes, clousers, baitfish patterns in white/pearl, chartruese, pinks, seafoam green, pale blue/white are all a good starter.Once you find the salmon trout, they will hit just about anything you offer.. Posted ImageHad a session on some new clouser type flies..Bream, + schoolies will hit any of the mentioned flies so far.I use mainly #4's and #6 hooks, and my personal choice is to close the barb, just in the off chance 'I wear one' as a new earing. (so far, so good) :P Makes for easy release of fish as well.My favourite so far is anything with a mini rattle.. I reckon it gets more attentiona minnow with a rattle.. Posted ImageAnd closer to the mouth I've had yellowfin take small yellow/white flies.. Posted Image Welcome to the site and good luck on the fly..Keep us posted.

Mickyj wrote:

robfish wrote:

cheers for the welcome, yea mate they have given me some top advice :P but haven't had a chance to try it out yet damn weather haha

I'm on one good knee fingers crossed forWednesday 32 c fingers crossed to attackthe Lake .
Didn't know you were a shy boy Mick, you'd have a wealth of experience on salt water flies with your West Lakes know how B)

There is a bloke from Camperdown in Vic who is a professional fly tyer and bream legend around his local estuaries.Most of his patterns work well on bream.He is also a very accomplished trout fisherman.I have been to a couple of his fly tying seminars.I now tie my own version of his hammerhead pattern tied in a brown orange blend when chasing Onk bream and have had excellent results over the last few years..This is basically a version of his famous BMS (bullen Merri Special) tied with dumbell eyes.Make sure you use Mustad Aberdeen Hooks for better hook up rates if tying your own.Other wise ring Muz and order direct from him.Many of Muz flies feature in the book "Australian fly patterns" by Peter Coulson.Cheers Rollcast

tonyb wrote:

Mickyj wrote:

robfish wrote:

cheers for the welcome, yea mate they have given me some top advice :P but haven't had a chance to try it out yet damn weather haha

I'm on one good knee fingers crossed forWednesday 32 c fingers crossed to attackthe Lake .
Didn't know you were a shy boy Mick, you'd have a wealth of experience on salt water flies with your West Lakes know how B)
I'm blushing :blush: TonyWell I'm a bit of a maverick with my flies.I tend to use stuff I have made up myslef or modified other peoples flies to my own needs.what could I tell Robfish .Yellow is a colour the last 2 seasons that Bream have been jumping out the water to eat.Lost and scared some bigger boys .Green well that worked well for a couple of yearsPink is so so but I lost a schoolie on pink.So when I actually get back in the water .I shall be once again using a foam popper so addicted to the surface action .As I said I lost a schoolie on a totally pink popper fly based on "Morsies whiting popper" .Made much smaller on a number 14 trout hook .Yep I didnt set the hook :blush: Please I understand the hook size is not correct or is it ;) after getting hit by schoolie who knows. Now I have been hearing about orange as a "BREAM" colour .I have tried orange on a tiny popper(body white tail orange) .I made the body to small.My latest fly with orange is much bigger in the body (kept the body white) and used orange for the tail.Looks like a large white blow fly no joke :cheer: Something I have learn't small poppers are great tiny dont work.So since last autumn I have learnt that Snook, school mulloway, Bream garfish forgot ST's all will sstrike a popper/booby fly .Of course I have yet to land anything other than Bream on a popper St's I've landed on gurglers.Me I also like bright fluro colours others like more natural colours .To me the fish will take either bright colours are easier for my glasses to pick up :P As I started with I'm a bit of a maverick so some of my ideas are a bit off centre.And a fish is a fish unless I hook and land one of those 50cm buggers that sit in ankle deep water!!I can only add if u see bait fish schools cast around them and keep the fly moving u never know when something other than a Bream will strike what ever u are chucking around.CheersMick
rollcast wrote:

There is a bloke from Camperdown in Vic who is a professional fly tyer and bream legend around his local estuaries.Most of his patterns work well on bream.He is also a very accomplished trout fisherman.I have been to a couple of his fly tying seminars.I now tie my own version of his hammerhead pattern tied in a brown orange blend when chasing Onk bream and have had excellent results over the last few years..This is basically a version of his famous BMS (bullen Merri Special) tied with dumbell eyes.Make sure you use Mustad Aberdeen Hooks for better hook up rates if tying your own.Other wise ring Muz and order direct from him.Many of Muz flies feature in the book "Australian fly patterns" by Peter Coulson.Cheers Rollcast

where would i beable to get a copy of this book?, i have a fly tying kit coming in and wanna try my hand at making my own.
robfish wrote:

off the bank

Ahh I seeI haven't been to the onk since I was about 20seeing I'm almost 47 its been awhile.When I started at West lakes I was casting fromthe bank.These days I wade cooler weather in waderswarmer weather shorts and old shoes .What I found and u may be better than me.But bywading I have hopefully done away with anyback casting problems .All the best mate any pictures of your capturesand dont forget to try different colours etc in your flies.

na i dident get any pics :( i dont like to carry my phone with me when around the water (3 years ago i droped my phone in the drink off noarlunga jetty haha) ill take it next time tho im going out tomorrow affternoon i want some pics lol and also i got a question me and me old man are woundering if anything around here would go for those Deceiver flys?

robfish wrote:

anything around here would go for those Deceiver flys?

Yup, they do :PI had a sinking tip line when I used them and I found the Deceivers took a bit to get to sink.Even put a couple wraps of light solder near the head and that helped.Had some good hits on green/white and blue/white deceivers in the onk, and some big swirls around the flies on the surface, and wakes behind the fly when retrieving.Gets the heart pumping :lol:
robfish wrote:

cheers for the welcome brenton, and Mickyj is there a closer pic of the yellow popper i cant relli see it

Nah sorry my Camera's not that goodBasically its Foam I bought in a roll from theTimber section of Mitre 10 40 cents a metreThis one has a fake fur tail(I was using fake orange hair today)The foam is painted in bright yellow nail polishTied on a number 16 trout hook.It looks bigger in the picture. Here's the last fish I landed before my op.Any of the small bream I've landed on thesetrout hooks have been hooked in the side of themouth pretty cool Posted ImagePosted Image