Anyone used Whitebait for Callop?

Guest lloydy

Guest lloydy

Taking the boat out saturday up the river chasing Callop, whilst mainly itll be 90% lures, we are gonna try sending out baits aswell...Anyone tried whitebait for Callop?We havent seen shrimp for ages, so cant use that, and worms arnt the best IMO,Any thoughts?

No reason why it won't work. Many years ago in Canberra, a few local fishers did ok on the Golden Perch using small pilchards.Plenty of native fish have been caught over the years on red meat, rabbit, chicken and even cheese. One theory is that its not the bait itself, but rather the shrimps and yabbies that the bait attracts that attracts the fish.

About five years ago a few anglers from the compleat angler store in melbourne did a trip to lake Bullen Merri (deep crator lake) snd used nothing but white bait dropped down deep wirh only a big split shot. They cleaned up on atlantic salmon, brown and rainbow trout to 8lb. Those fish loved em so I would think the callop would fancy em as well.Brett

lloydy wrote:

We haven't seen shrimp for ages, so cant use that, and worms arnt the best IMO,Any thoughts?

There were plenty of shrimp at Swan Reach 2 weeks ago ;) We had about 15 in the net after only 1/2 hr in the middle of the day, right next to the reeds :) Failing that why not give the WB's a try. Nothing to lose :)
Piranha wrote:

if your keen on trying a saltwater bait for yellas, peel some green prawns they work pretty well over east when the local shops run out of yabbies :)

Green prawns work a treat on Callop ;) Thats all i used on one of my house boat trips..As for no shrimp about ?? not sure where you've been goin but like AFF said we had no problem filling an esky for my six foot tank :P Cheers Adam