WD40 as a fish attractant???

I was fishing and noticed that a dude on the charter I was on was spraying his bait with WD40.I'd never seen it but this guy raved about how it was awesome and that it's banned in fishing comps etc etc.Having never done it before I'm unsure... and the guy I was with certainly didn't outfish anyone else on the boat... so yeh anyone else have an opinion...???Also environmentally I wonder how good it is... but again have no idea what the ingredients for WD40 are!!! :huh:

i too have herd of it and see it used at rapid bay and on this particular day we out fished him as did most people fishing there that day...and one thing i noticed several times was the people fishing right nxt to them there catches were down and watched several times them move.on this day the trevaly were on and in a short section of the jetty we were all shoulder to shoulder too .another thing noticed was the big slick that was creating from the wd40and less fish were comming from the slicked area.not something id b useingtight lines

after reading them 2 articles del posted very interesting and then to findout that thew key ingreadiant is fish oil.....hmmm now after reading them articles nxt time i go for a fish time for an experiment with wd40same baits and rigs one with wd40 spray and one with out and we will see wot the results will be i will buy a fresh new can to usetight lines

shagging wrote:
this guy was spraying on the bait (not lures)... I'm now pretty much convinced I'll not bother!

If you want to search trough 2000 uses you might find bait spray amongst them :huh::laugh:http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdfInteresting to google its ingredients though :huh:http://www.wd40.com.au/wd40/faq.phpWhat does WD-40 contain?While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, fish oil, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.brenton wrote:

I use inox on reels and lures without any problems and have heard of the old wd40 stories but i don't think i'll be rushing out to try it......unless you are willing to do the testing and report back. :unsure: cheers brenton

Just purchased a packet of SPs from Kims tackleworld, opened it up and guess what I thought they smelt like :huh: WD40 :huh: or similar anyway B)

Many years ago, in England, an angling book suggested that a piece of red wool soaked in petrol was a good bait for carp. I never tried it, but somehow I doubt if it would be a very successful bait. However an additive that does seem to work - in fresh water anyway - is anniseed oil or essence. I used to work a few drops into bread paste when I was making it up, or even pour a little into my maggots tin so they all had a bit of the scent on them. Trouble is, in the winter in the UK you had to keep the bottle in your pocket otherwise it would crystalise in the near freezing temperatures.

how many after a rinse of a reel, spray wd40 on everything? ive done it before, and its not hurt the line of stopped fish from biting.my bro in law when he chases snapper in the boat, scales the tommy bait he uses... im like,,,," dude.... what are you ding?" his reply was the snapper like it better...ITS A FISH... THEY HAVE SCALES ON IN THE WILD...but for some strange reason, he catches fish...and does very well with scaled bait.

Not as impressivbe as it is these days. It was just after the war and Europe had lost a generation as far as sports were concerned. We were good for our time, but not particularly good in the history of our sports. It still felt good at the time though, I can tell you!

chevin wrote:

Not as impressivbe as it is these days. It was just after the war and Europe had lost a generation as far as sports were concerned. We were good for our time, but not particularly good in the history of our sports. It still felt good at the time though, I can tell you!

you're only as good as your opposition though... well done! :)

Im a great fan of Steve Starling and im sure he used to say wash down gently with soapy water, never forcing water in reels, and if greasing or oiling try and keep it off the line,I use an anaseed soap in the boat if ive got grease or sunscreen on my hands,Perhaps its an old tale because in the past the ingredients were just fish oil?Ali

Damobeer wrote:

I've managed fisheries in the UK for 12 years as a job and I can honestly say I have never heard of anyone using WD as an attractant. Some of the anglers sniff it to keep warm though :laugh:

All I know is I'm not gonna bother... Real tuna oils and REAL fishy smells seem to do the job ok for me~!!! :silly: :P:laugh:

Here are some of the uses:1) Protects silver from tarnishing. 2) Removes road tar and grime from cars. 3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings. 4) Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery. 5) Keeps flies off cows. 6) Restores and cleans chalkboards. 7) Removes lipstick stains. 8) Loosens stubborn zippers. 9) Untangles jewellery chains. 10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks. 11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill. 12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing. 13) Removes tomato stains from clothing. 14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots. 15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors. 16) Keeps scissors working smoothly. 17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes 18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks. 19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40! 20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide. 21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers. 22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises. 23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open. 24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close. 25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers. 26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles. 27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans. 28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling. 29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly. 30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools. 31) Removes splattered grease on stove. 32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging. 33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs. 34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell). 35) Removes all traces of duct tape. 36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain. 37) Florida's favourite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.' 38) The favourite use in the state of New York WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements. 39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states. 40) Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch. 41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag. 42) Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone! 43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.Good stuff but I would NOT use it for fishing. SQUID INK works as well as anything since it has evolved in nature to protect squid by attracting fish (As well as acting as a smoke screen)while the squid makes a getaway. It works for the squid and it works for me too!RogerG