mate i say if you wanna use them for bait and its not illegal go for it, its not up to the doo gooders or wanna be greenies to tell you you cant a ray is no diff to a salmon or a tommie or a squid for that matter,if they are the best bait and present you with the best chance of catching the shark of ya dreams then do it.. i dont see how killing a ray quickly and painlessly is any worse than feeding a rubber band through the eyes of a salmon while its still kicking and letting it swim this way for hours on end...cricify me if you wish i dont care its my oppinion :)

carps wrote:

mate i say if you wanna use them for bait and its not illegal go for it.............a ray is no diff to a salmon or a tommie or a squid for that matter,if they are the best bait and present you with the best chance of catching the shark of ya dreams then do it.. i dont see how killing a ray quickly and painlessly is any worse than feeding a rubber band through the eyes of a salmon while its still kicking and letting it swim this way for hours on end...cricify me if you wish i dont care its my oppinion :)

Agreed, I have no problem with a kill of any legal species, as long as you are making use of whatever it is that you kill.I recon ray would also make for good crab bait, and I once saw guys using dead fiddlers in the wash as a method of enticing beach worms to the surface, as the ray has a flat belly which easily slides from side to side on the sand, and it comes with a built in handle too. When you are finished worming, you just put your whole fiddler bait back into the freezer ready for next time.Ray flaps can also be scored and barbequed for something a little different, and served with a sambal chili sauce.Odd, but I don't see any doo gooders or wannabee greenies complaining about killing a ray. Only one person here has suggested it's not worth killing a ray as there are better shark baits around! I think you'll find the complaints in regards to rays were about cutting bits off of them and then releasing them live! Not fishing for them, eating them, or using them as bait!I tried crucifixion as a method of suicide once........it's impossible to get that last nail in! :S

haha ranger you took my statment wrong,, i was not presuming anyone here to be a greeny or doogooder but i can asure you if you are on any jetty or populated beach catch a ray and proceed to hook it as per the diagrams above they will def come out of the shaddows :)