Internet Tackle Not Covered By Warranty

A smart tackle store owner would be going online themselves and selling from catologues and I do note thats exactly what the smart ones are doing here in ozNo stock on shelves etc etc

Yes only if the prices are competitive, not go online to reduce your overheads and have the prices the same as a on the shelf store.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all,This is a notification we have received from Jarvis Walker regarding Warranty and Spare Parts on all their products. 24 November 2010Notice to Australian tackle retailers: Internet tackle not c

Bloody beautiful :woohoo: Too many people out there calling themselves Aussies and not supporting their home turf.Working in the marine industry i see so many sounder/GPS units come in for warranty th

i was shopping around for some shock asorbers for our race car and wanted to buy proshocks i rang the aussie agent who said no probs they will have to come from the states and would cost $1400 bucks .i got on the net and bought them from a supplier in the usa landed on my door in 8 days and cost me $780 bucks who;s ripping who off .sure i like to spend my money in aust and i dont mind the dealer making some profit but $ 620 dollers difference . thats a lot of money in my pockets sorry guys my moneys too hard to come by to hand it over like that .

Squidley, sorry to point out the obvious :blink: the Australian agent will of course declare the product as he's am importer ;) this will load it with around 40% duty tax $312 :angry: don't forget, GST to be added another $109.10, :whistle: :whistle: freight to the retailer?? $60?? :( :( thats now cost the aussie guy $1261, :woohoo: :woohoo: that would leave the fella on the end, the very one that carries the highest risk,and the very guy thats to provide service advice & backup if it shits itself $139 as his profit as he quoted $1400. :S :S He runs a store of some sort, employs people to put it into stock then retrieve it for you. :dry: :dry: Would have thought thats not too greedy but compartive to the margins I get on $1000 product it's made me realize I'm in the wrong business. :unsure: :unsure: Need to research a little further on vehicle parts importation, all cash of course so I can scam the duties that the Australian dealers are paying. :evil: Don't get me wrong here, I'd go the same way to save 600 bucks, but, it does highlight that we, us, Australia, has a problem. :( :( An ever increasing problem as the direct example you've just offered has just unemployed your next door neighbours kid :blink: that could have run a warehouse & your other neighbour :blink: (the bookeeper) & your sisters husband :blink: , he is in fact a fantastic retail salesperson & over time has helped & pleased many hundreds of people. :whistle: A few pollies will need to go (no harm here) as no duty was declared. :woohoo: :woohoo: The banks still got fat :evil: :evil: as it was a credit card transaction so they still got their 1.8% for stuff all, but it gets worse yet, :silly: :silly: whos gonna fit the stuff :ohmy: :ohmy: , the mechanic closed :S coz the kid, the bookeeper, the dad & the pollies all have no money to spend with him as maintenance on vehicles is a luxury item & is certain to go when things get tough.:unsure: :unsure: The chat sites that were so helpful offering advice, feedback & opportunity to bounce ideas with others on your chosen products are also gone as theres no retailers left to sponsor them.All a bit sad really but I'm with you Squidley, I work far too long & hard to squander it so my 600 fat is still worth more than all the above sacrifices & none of it will change with the current softon pollies that we half elected or did we really elect them at all. :whistle: :whistle: Guess we could all bottle River Murray water & put it into storage for the next drought that may help someone if not ourselves. ;) ;) Alan, would you be happy if Sportfishing Whyalla had nil stock of the stuff you need now???? :whistle: Terowie, did you not read the thread earlier in this post re the margins Aussie retailers are already running on, that is of course running shopfronts??? :whistle: Nothing offensive intended here readers, just a reality check & please pardon the pollie pun, couldn't help myself. Seeing & talking to many hundreds of people from all walks of life coming thru the shop I can absolutely testify that prior to the KRUDD07 RIP11 deal, we all as a society were far better off & I hate them all equally.Finatic

Terowie' date=' did you not read the thread earlier in this post re the margins Aussie retailers are already running on, that is of course running shopfronts??? :whistle: Finatic[/quote']Yes I did, but say that you didn't have a shopfront. would your online prices be any different to those that have. in a lot of cases the answer is no.The cabella example that I used to illustrate the huge range of products available both shopfloor ( no good to us here) and online.We have nowhere near the range and its the range of products that you can get from one location is appealing. Their postage can be "expensive" but with some of the gear you just can't get here, just have a look at the fishing range The online retailing is here to stay, it will have to be a case of adapt and offer a decent shopping experience based on range.

Australian Tackleshops will never be able to compete with overseas online shops while the government levy 40% import duties. What is the reason for this import duty? Many countries do not have this import tax.IMO, Jarvis Walker is a bit shortsigthed in trying to beat the consumer with the warranty bat. Online shopping is here to stay. I am prepared to pay up to 25% more for my tackle from my local tackle shop because of their good service, but when I can get the same goods at half the price online, I cannot resist.

OUCH, :S thanks the good lord for having FIREARMS find me ;) it may be the only way my door will stay open by the presentations offered here.Well just so long as the RANGA & co don't reinvent the firearms legislation,allowing online, to the door firearm transactions, :whistle: :whistle: but I reckon we are pretty safe there for a while. B)Go Martin Bryant :whistle: :whistle: Have given the online thing some thought more recently,30 hour 4 day week :woohoo: :woohoo: is lookin' goodno 3% knobheads to deal with bartering me for the last 30centsno freezers to run @ $110 a week :blush: :blush: no bait to stack, bag, wrap or serve :blink: no shoplifting to deal with :evil: :evil:no rent B) no insurance B) no catalogs B) no warranties B)BRING IT ON :woohoo: :woohoo: sorry DUBS, DAN, YAKATTACK doors are closed as we are now onlinersunless you can wrap & stick stamps we can't help ya anymore. :blush: Service you askwho gives a flying toss :angry: :angry: we are here to be cheapits what the punters wantand to do as little as possible to create a living & at the same time, undermine the very people that are offering service & range on hand, fools they are :unsure: :unsure: all that stockall those overheadsIDIOTS :silly: :silly: thats the whole online gig right there isn't it???otherwise why is it so good??? :blink: :blink: GONE FISHIN' OR SHOOTIN'Finatic :whistle: :whistle:

I will buy off the net on the rare occasions my local isn't stocking what i need but in relation to most of what i need my local can come pretty close or even better once postage is added to the internet product so usually i stick with them.Do you have an online store Finatic or are the setup costs prohibitive?Its weird when you want a product that is not carried by the retailer and they ask "shall i get it in for you"most will answer no but will happily wait 7-10 days for it to arrive via the courier. cheers brenton

Someone could do a thesis on how to solve this problem.Is it that current government legislation hasn't moved with the times? Taxing importers for bringing goods into the country but not taxing private individuals for purchasing products online seems a little unfair on the importers.or on the other handPerhaps the big tackle importers are greedy and don't want to acknowledge that people can now buy online and are no longer forced to buy their products? Is is possible the larger tackle importers have had it too good for too long and don't want to see a reduction in their profits as a result of reduced prices by competing with online stores?Could the big importers reduce their prices to compete with overseas online stores and still make healthy profits?Legitimate competition always results in cheaper prices for consumers.Either the tackle importers are being hard done-by through inadequate legistlation or they are just greedy and don't want to reduce their prices to compete with online stores.What is certain through all this is the small retailers are suffering through no fault of their own.I don't think the current high Australian Dollar caused by the mining boom should have anything to do with this because it equally benefits online buyers as it does big importers.In theory the big importers should pass on the savings from a high dollar.

Navman " is possible the larger tackle importers have had it too good for too long and don't want to see a reduction in their profits as a result of reduced prices by competing with online stores?"^^ very good point. I reckon this may be the reason for the announcement that online warrantees will not be honored. I would expect that many avenues will be explored prior to the big companies and importers actually dropping prices.The other very valid point is that import taxes are being avoided by overseas online purchases of the higher end goods. This is probably illegal and is something that is just another issue that needs to be addressed. As with a lot of the technology enabling us average Joes to access the global market place, the old world politicians are not yet on the ball when it comes to protecting their tax revenue or small business.The only issue I have is the attitude of some of us "average Joes" toward the local tackle industry. It really suprised me that far from just saving a dollar, some people seem to actually not give a SHIT!!!Shame on youse! For any smart asses that want to go fiddle with a reel in your local tackle store, then hop on the net and make the purchase, it's a disgrace!!!!

Bummer no job atleast Ill have a life back no working on the weekends and public holidays no doing the late hours selling bait and the few things you've run out of on your way down to your local spot x I dont mind I Might actually get to go fishing myself maybe even a shoot or 2.Any1 got any jobs going lol

The hours aren't much different to the hospitality industry. :P
  • 1 month later...

Worst thing about the aus tackle industry supply chain is that you can buy ( Aus made products) off ebay or international sellers and have them delivered to your door from half way around the world much quicker than ordering through Aus retailers:blink: It's not the retailers themselves fault but the distribution networks behind the scene in aus that are a joke and are costing the poor retailers here big $$$.cheers

I just looked up on ebay the price of a tiagra 30 wide spool from US.Was $480 plus $69 freight so total $549.Local tackle shop can do it for $730.Its a reel i plan to use for many years so for the sake of $181 i'm going to buy it locally. Service and warranty is important to me.If i could get the reel to my door for say $400 then i would do it as the savings justify it but for $181 i'd just rather get it locally and not have to feel guilty about asking my local store for help if something goes wrong with the reel.

If i could get the reel to my door for say $400 then i would do it as the savings justify it but for $181 i'd just rather get it locally and not have to feel guilty about asking my local store for help if something goes wrong with the reel.
Fair points there Nanman, I'm the same way (buy locally most of the time), but why feel guilty when you would be paying your local store to fix the reel if something went wrong with it? their still making some $ out of the service they provide.cheers

Hi PiranhaAt the end of the day i'd just need parts as i could fix it myself but its the tackle shop that would have to dick around getting those parts for me and i doubt they'd make enough money on the parts to justify their time.

Interesting TopicI recently purchased a variety of fishing and boating items online (Ebay) at a cost of 40 - 50% less that what i could have bought from a shopBUT waitThe seller wanted $45 for postage but stated they were in Adelaide.So i asked if i could pick up and they agreed and gave me the addressIT WAS A LOCAL TACKLE SHOPSecondlyI have worked in a Tackle and Sporting shop110% is the standard markup for most retail outletsBut depending on the store it can be more or less depending on the competitionWhere i worked there was a minimum of 110% to as much as 2000%Say a supplier has a large amount of surplus stock, they would offer us that stock for say $5 an item, yet that item sold for $100. Did we sell it for $10 NO. We reduced the price on SALE to $80 and made a profit of $75 on every itemWhen i stopped working there i started a small internet tackle business and is wasn't long before i had an account with Shakespeare Aust. Selling on Ebay and all items were covered by warranty. I was also able to source out other products here in Australia and overseas. One supplier offered me hooks and swivels at 1c ea as they were closing down. I bought 100,000. I sold heaps but still kept 10,000 for myself. Enough to last me a lifetimeThe business is no longer. Even i couldn't compete with the Asian internet sellers ThirdlyWhen the gun laws changed and the govt offered a buy backPeople took the offer and got average retail value for their gunsBut what we did was disassemble every gun as parts.By doing this the Govt paid 4 - 5 times what the gun was worthThere was so much profit to be made that the owner of the shop bought every gun he could get his hands on. He even advertised and sent one guy to Thebarton to buy guns from people handing them in.He made an absolute killing I also know Albert Bensimon. (Shiels Jewellers).His words to me onceQUOTE. Almost everything in my stores are at 1000% markup as it is mostly imported from AsiaIn summaryIf i saw something in a shop for $100 with a warranty and saw the same item online at $30. I would buy online every time. So if it breaks in 10mths ill just buy another and still be in front

Very interesting and eye opening points you make blue goose.Overheads associated with operating a business in australia are high. we have so many laws to comply with.markups need to be high to cover these overheads.Out of curiosity if an item in Australia cost say $1000 but you could get the same product from America for $800 what would you do?If my local tackle shop owner was driving a 5 series BMW and lived in a lavish house then i wouldn't hesitate to buy from overseas but he doesn't so i'm happy to support him.I bet the importers that supply him such as shimano and daiwa are not short of a dollar!

Hi PiranhaAt the end of the day i'd just need parts as i could fix it myself but its the tackle shop that would have to dick around getting those parts for me and i doubt they'd make enough money on the parts to justify their time.

Yeah no worries Nanman, I hear what your saying mate;) cheers

As has been mentioned in a previous similar thread, MARKUP does not equal NET profit. Far from it :S While we talking about buying stuff cheap O/S, on exactly the same principle wouldn't it be great if we could import O/S tradies and pay them the same wage as their country of origin. Pay Australian taxes and we get much cheaper houses etc....just a thought.:whistle:

As has been mentioned in a previous similar thread' date=' MARKUP does not equal NET profit. Far from it :S While we talking about buying stuff cheap O/S, on exactly the same principle wouldn't it be great if we could import O/S tradies and pay them the same wage as their country of origin. Pay Australian taxes and we get much cheaper houses etc....just a thought.:whistle:[/quote']Have you ever tried to call some of the big companies, Telstra, EtcIts mostly overseas call centers who pay pittance

I doubt houses would be cheaper. The builder would pocket all the extra profit from paying lower wages rather than passing it on to the customer.Negative gearing is what has pushed house prices up. The demand created by people buying 1, 2 or 10 rental properties has pushed prices up.I think we are the only country in the world that allows negaitive gearing.

Very interesting and eye opening points you make blue goose.Out of curiosity if an item in Australia cost say $1000 but you could get the same product from America for $800 what would you do?

Depending on the item.For example if it was say something that included an OZ warranty and follow up i would buy from OZ but i would be doing a bit of haggling and hope to get 10% off at least.Remembering it has now become a bigger ticket item and the savings difference is minimal I just bought a handheld GPS for $180 from the USThe same GPS in OZ, say j.appleseed is around the $400 - $500 markOk it doesnt have Oz Maps but i only bought it to save and find fishing GPS marks.Down the track i will add oz marine mapsSo i saved at least $200. If it breaks down and warranty wont cover it ill just get another.

No arguments there Navman.Having owned an industrial wholesale business, employing a number of staff, had $200,000 + stock on the floor (paid for) had a house mortgage plus personal guarantee to the bank for the overdraft, I'm a tad sensitive to some comments that infer people in business are making huge profits by quoting mark-ups as if that was clear profit.Online selling is undoubtably here to stay and will explode due to the high cost of retail business. A friend has a 7 day retail business with award rates of $47 per hour for Sunday and $50 for Public Holidays.Competition is a must but gee it's tough out there with consumers demanding instant supply and service 7 days a week.No 'right' or 'wrongs' just a complex ever changing world.What I would like to see is for those who complain about businesses 'ripping consumers off', set up their own business and we can all buy cheap gear locally and we'll all be happy.

At the end of the day we all have to take an open minded view with all this internet purchasing from overseas.Absolutely we want out retailers to look after us so we can then look after them. Its not all one way traffic and if i feel i'm being ripped off then i won't hesitate to buy from overseas but if the australian retailer is charging a fair price and making a reasonable living then i'm happy to support them.We also need to think about how overseas purchasing could one day effect our own jobs as the mining boom won't last forever and not everyone works in the mines earning $3000 per week.A classic example of this was a few weeks back. A friend who works in a car dealership purchased a shimano talica from the US for $400. He saved $200 and thought he was pretty clever.The irony is though that the local tackle shop owner drives a car from his dealership! If the tackle shop goes broke the my mate has lost a future sale and subsequent commission income!

Being a fulltime student when i do get my mitts on money I try and find the best bargains i can for the gear required to make my money stretch. I buy ALL of my gear in adelaide but I prefer to check out everything about a product on the net first before i look for prices (eg. reel specs, peoples opinions on forums, potential problems etc.). When i'm sure on the product I hunt around for it but there's an adelaide store that has a bloody good online list of their products so thats where the bulk of my purchases come from. I have ordered stuff from them online but i prefer to take the trip down there to buy the product in the shop as i appreciate the service and advice.Unfortunately I don't have money to burn often but the cheapest prices and good service win every time. I personally am very anti buying things from overseas as I like warranty and don't want to risk getting burnt.One thing i would like to add though is I don't ever need go into shops asking questions anymore... This forum totally eliminates the need for it. You're all too bloody helpful!!!Squid

If you want an example of the effect of cheap internet purchasing then look at Angus & Roberston book stores going into receivership.340 people lost their jobs. Thats 340 people who will have to tighten their budgets which on a small scale effects the rest of the economy and possibly other people's jobs.I don't mean to sound meladramatic but these are the potential consequences that need to be considered when purchasing cheap from overseas internet sites.

This issue is something I still feel strongly about ie look after our local tackle stores.The problem with cheap overseas tackle via the Internet is no different to the corner deli that went bum up from Coles and woolworths. You pick the cheapest price on the day until there's no competition left but Coles or Woolworths. Same with petrol stations, now bottle shops and pharmacies.I still get fish and chips from a local rather than the big franchises.But even in the supermarket and department store, we CAN choose to buy Australian.... But who does???? It's just the same old same old.The economies simple, dig all our resources up, leave a big hole, send everything to china for them to make it into shit and buy it back. Pretty soon if your not in mining or importing, ya may as well fish full-time cos you won't have a job anyway..... Better get good at it too, cos the family will still need a feed.Even big Gerry from Harvey Normans is spewin about the Internet traders avoiding tariffs that even HE has to pay!!!! Amazon has seen off Angus & Roberts as said..... So who is next???? Kym from Dive and Tackle at Salisbury???? What will we say then.... Oh yeah, maybe that guy was onto something.... Better by some bait from Coles hey?????I think the govt needs to, and will do something in regards to Internet trading, but what they CAN do who knows......But hey, Coles and Woolworths will sell you some Chinese cockles eventually :):):):) and my kids will go to university to get selected as check out operators when they grow up..... $10 an hour ought to keep em in cheap Internet tackle and Chinese cockles :):):):):):):):)At least the local tackle store owners in their Ferrari's will be able to retire on their millions if the industry goes belly up.... Cheers ..... Yeah RIGht!B)

A LITTLE BIT OF JACK GOLD THERE!!AH THE IRONY OF IT ALL.I think Im okay at fishing but if I have to compete with some of the anglers on this site as a pro fishermen - I could be in trouble.LOL, and I think what you will find it the cockles will be dug up in Goolwa, sent to China so they can then be imported back into Aust. at twice the price. LOL:lol:

The topics been done to death in my opinion :whistle: , but naman and Jack both say it all.Buy from overseas, and sooner or later, one way or another, there's every chance we're only robbing ourselvesThe only reason the tackle shop owners in Adelaide havent responded to this thread so far, or at least of late, is they're probably too busy washing and wazing their surfboards, ferraris and private jets :dry: