Anyone doubt that RFLs work???

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All you guys that think it's better interstate, you should spend your money by moving there.

The powers that be should change the "save the murray' levy to a 'fish the murray' levy, theres very little decent freshwater fishing oportunities in the rest of the state so people shouldn't be expec

Posted Images

just wondering where you guy's got your masturbation license from?

Hmmm had mine so long I cant remember, I do recall that I aced the practicle though...... :blink: By the way love the passion here (probably not the best line after the masturbation comment) and have posted my veiw earlier (RFL good provided implemented properly, resigned to it being inevitable)Seems to me the supporters are the majority by a bit but the detractors most vocal in general, will be interesting to see how things pan out when the rumors start to become reality.
Just read through this whole thread and wondered how a RFL for fresh would impact on SAFWAA' date=' ie would membership increase or decrease? If access to major, stocked, impoundments was given would there still be the interest in small privately owned dams stocked by a club which has expectations of its members behaviour?Having seen the contempt with which the Warren has been treated by some sectors of the fishing community I think any RFL should be at least $50 - $100per person plus an annual fee of the same amount per impoundmnent to cover the cost of security with a very hefty fine and lifetime ban for breaking the rules. Means that there should be enough money to cover stocking and security and if you really want to fish it then you pay for it and the amount you pay and the possible penalties involved for being an arsehole should force a bit of respect for what you are getting.Mind you it could just as well apply to some of the stories we hear about the saltwater as well.Wannabe[/quote']Hi Wannabe, luv the passion B) I can tell you that at the recent PIRSA/SARFAC reconciliation Workshops, initiated by PIRSA to create a stronger Recreational Fishing Industry, the point was made that it might be a condition of the licence that any one wanting to Fish reservoirs should be members of a recreational organisation such as SAFWAA so as they are accountable to their organisation and are also insured for their activities.Discussion is a long way from finished and I stress that this was just a proposal at the time.SA Water currently supply both insurance and security monitoring for your 33 buck licence.

May as well go buy your fish.If you want consistently stocked dams - pay for it yourself.No ones gonna stock the ocean with whiting for me - free from pro's and commercial fishermen.

You may as well go buy your fish anyway, with the price of tackle/bait/fuel its cheaper. I dont know anyone who fishes for a cheap feed, because it isn't.And who said you cant stock salt water. i know its only bream but i think Dan from "CRANKA" (where ever he has gone) have been involved with stocking bream in TAZ. they bread kingfish and tuna in cages for food.... why cant we raise some for releaseing?Cheers Goldy
I can tell you that at the recent PIRSA/SARFAC reconciliation Workshops' date=' initiated by PIRSA to create a stronger Recreational Fishing Industry, the point was made that it might be a condition of the licence that any one wanting to Fish ............Discussion is a long way from finished .........[/quote']Tony, if SARFAC is in discussions with PIRSA in regards to the introduction of a fishing licence, I have to ask, what is SARFAC's stance on the issue when representing my voice, and why isn't SARFAC making me aware of these discussions?A serious question I do not want lost or forgotten within this thread. I really am seeking serious answer from a body which claims to represent me!I've been through the sarfac website, and can find no reference to these discussions: http://www.sarfac.com//public/?p=8
Guest boys day out
I can tell you that at the recent PIRSA/SARFAC reconciliation Workshops' date=' initiated by PIRSA to create a stronger Recreational Fishing Industry' date=' the point was made that it might be a condition of the licence that any one wanting to Fish ............Discussion is a long way from finished .........[/quote'']Tony, if SARFAC is in discussions with PIRSA in regards to the introduction of a fishing licence, I have to ask, what is SARFAC's stance on the issue when representing my voice, and why isn't SARFAC making me aware of these discussions?A serious question I do not want lost or forgotten within this thread. I really am seeking serious answer from a body which claims to represent me!I've been through the sarfac website, and can find no reference to these discussions: http://www.sarfac.com//public/?p=8
I also wish to know the answer to this as I have NOT given MY permission or wish sarfac to represent me in any way or form :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm with you on this Ranger. As I said last thread ... An RFL would definately benefit freshwater fisheries. But saltwater? I don't think so. With all of the added costs to Saltwater fishing, I do not believe that it is right to impose extra costs on the saltwater community. I don't fish freshwater. Only salt. And the comments on owning a boat with all the costs involved there is 110% correct! To all of those members that oppose the RFL, you have my support. Tonyb, I am in no way disagreeing with all of your comments. Only some, those that relate to the saltwater side of fishing specifically. Sometimes debates are fun, but many people are very passionate about their fishing, I know I am, as is my whole family (RFL based on $20 per person = $120.00 for me) and discussions about the introduction of more charges in the most heavily charged / taxed state in this country on top of all of the other fees, charges, levies, taxes etc we already have to pay to enjoy this pasttime is going to hit sore points every time. Is it worth causing this? I think not. I just want to be able to enjoy my favourite pasttime for a reasonable price. Ranger, I am sorry to hear that you are considering parting with your boat. That is not something which I, myself, wish to ever have to consider. Mate, I have never met you (yet) but if you do part with your rig, consider this an invite to join me sometime. B214P.S- Great to see some light-heartedness in this forum! Whilst I have no interest in seeing uhf's knob, I agree that the comment regarding slippage should be hall of fame material. Thanks for the laughs guys in an otherwise depressing thread!

I am a Victorian and I see the fees at work.What the public relations division say id contary to the situation on the ground.Money spent here and there, great but where has the real money gone, general revenue to pay for the political whims of government.My locality some 150 Kilometers from Melbourne is the richest pippie (cockle) beach in Victoria.Three years ago it was invaded by ethnics who saw profit due to South Australian limits on supply, Local called fishriews to be told only b4 fisheries officers were available and no one cpould attend vreaches of the law.Now fisheries are taking some action, fines are low in comparison of the breach of law so perpetrators lose nothing, 6 extra officers employed but same thing, we the local have to provide registration numbers, people involved and the like./if I pay for my fishing I would like to see my money actually be used 100% in protection of fishing, not an allocation that says how good we are, and the rest used for pollies holidays.Given that we in Victoria have had a change in political persuasion maybe we may see a better use of boat license fees and fishing license fees.Guys in SA, unless you get the fees as dedicated fishing improvement resist at all costs.If you pay for something make sure you get it back in spades

What the public relations division say id contary to the situation on the ground.Money spent here and there' date=' great but where has the real money gone, general revenue to pay for the political whims of government.[/quote']This is one of the points I attempted to raise myself anglerman, and which went strangely unanswered by all.Sure, they show us a few projects, and some figures on what has been spent and say what a great job is being done, but where is the overall total RFL revenue raised figures, and where has the majority of the cash gone?Strangely, that's information which isn't shared quite as openly, or accessed as easily!Oh, and welcome to the website.
I can tell you that at the recent PIRSA/SARFAC reconciliation Workshops' date=' initiated by PIRSA to create a stronger Recreational Fishing Industry' date=' the point was made that it might be a condition of the licence that any one wanting to Fish ............Discussion is a long way from finished .........[/quote'']Tony, if SARFAC is in discussions with PIRSA in regards to the introduction of a fishing licence, I have to ask, what is SARFAC's stance on the issue when representing my voice, and why isn't SARFAC making me aware of these discussions?A serious question I do not want lost or forgotten within this thread. I really am seeking serious answer from a body which claims to represent me!I've been through the sarfac website, and can find no reference to these discussions: http://www.sarfac.com//public/?p=8
Also waiting for an answer from Tony as I asked questions about who he was representing from another thread that went unanswered.
Guest boys day out
Also waiting for an answer from Tony as I asked questions about who he was representing from another thread that went unanswered.
Now come on Moggy give the guy a break That was a HARD Question the truth is is always hard :P :P :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

One thing that does bother me is that alot of the post i'm reading on here in relation to saltwater fishing is about the cost of owning a boat so you shouldn't need to pay anymore... Well whoever said you had to buy a boat. that was your choice and it wasn't forced apon you so why should it stop you from helping to improve the fishery??? (when i say fishery i mean salt and fresh, if it is only fresh seeing the benifit then only fresh pay for it). you can fish saltwater from the shore if you want, with a lot more limited success but people do it.Goldy

Goldy I mean no disrespect but i think your comments are a little unfair in regard to boaters.In my case I use the costs involved in boating to highlight the fact that it is already an expensive pastime which means we have less to spend elsewhere. If an RFL were to be introduced this would mean I would have less.Less to spend on travel to areas outside of omy local area.Less to spend on bait or updating my tackleLess to spend in the local chandellry storeLess to spend on the maintenance of my craftLess to spend on tournament fishingHeck even less to spend on takeaway or going out in general. So in my mind the hurt is not just felt by the individual it has the potental to go much further.I could go on & argue how unfairly we as a boating public are already taxed / treated by this government by way of higher registration costs based on the size of your vessel. A boating levy paid by all where money is spent in areas that may have no bearing to your vessel. Then there are the facilities that money is spent on yet enjoyed by other water craft who do not have to share the finacial burden of said tax.I'm not saying I should be exempt from an RFL because I have a boat. I'm saying that an RLF is an added burden that I personally can see no benefit from here in SA, much less so in fact for those who fish the brinie stuff!

Ill second that..:huh:

In 2009 the Recreational Angler contributed $350 million to the SA economy and $30 million in GST.So all the guys and girls spending money owning a boat would have a large input into that SA economy. There's a lot of land base fishos who would love to own a boat.It's my choice to own a boat and I choose not to pay for a RFL when there is already Govenment groups in place to deal with the fish stocks.Goldys_fishin, you can thank us boaties for help keeping the SA enconomy ticking along. B)

Can I just send a little reminder, that out friendly neighbourhood government is currently discussing a flood "levy which each and every one of us will soon be paying, along with our emergency services levy and our save the murray levy! Coz being true to their word, since the GST they would never consider imposing another TAX! To quote TonyB, or was that actually Benjamin Franklin:Two certainties in life; death and taxesWhat is more important to each of us, saving our mighty waterway, flood relief, or possible recreational service improvements?Sooner or later, the levy in our wallet is sure to break, and something must then give. What's it to be for you?

In 2009 the Recreational Angler contributed $350 million to the SA economy and $30 million in GST.So all the guys and girls spending money owning a boat would have a large input into that SA economy. There's a lot of land base fishos who would love to own a boat.It's my choice to own a boat and I choose not to pay for a RFL when there is already Govenment groups in place to deal with the fish stocks.Goldys_fishin' date=' you can thank us boaties for help keeping the SA enconomy ticking along. B)[/quote']you cant be for real... yes i know the fishing sector helps the economy but so does every industry...

Well said Ranger.A lot of fisho's are "average Joe's" who have fished from the "day dot",because it was cheap,kept us off the streets and sometimes a feed bargained into it as well.In this day and age,being a single income family(on the "lower end" at that),two kids at school,running a car etc.......survival is week to week as it is, without the addition of "extra's".We are doing it tough at the moment,but,there are worse off...........so for me personally,the "breaking point" for me will be the monthly trip away with the fella's for a fish and a few laughs.May see 25+ outfits in the buy / sell / swap catergory shortly,as they will be no longer economically viable for my use :dry:

Goldy I mean no disrespect but i think your comments are a little unfair in regard to boaters.In my case I use the costs involved in boating to highlight the fact that it is already an expensive pastime which means we have less to spend elsewhere. If an RFL were to be introduced this would mean I would have less.Less to spend on travel to areas outside of omy local area.Less to spend on bait or updating my tackleLess to spend in the local chandellry storeLess to spend on the maintenance of my craftLess to spend on tournament fishingHeck even less to spend on takeaway or going out in general. So in my mind the hurt is not just felt by the individual it has the potental to go much further.I could go on & argue how unfairly we as a boating public are already taxed / treated by this government by way of higher registration costs based on the size of your vessel. A boating levy paid by all where money is spent in areas that may have no bearing to your vessel. Then there are the facilities that money is spent on yet enjoyed by other water craft who do not have to share the finacial burden of said tax.I'm not saying I should be exempt from an RFL because I have a boat. I'm saying that an RLF is an added burden that I personally can see no benefit from here in SA' date=' much less so in fact for those who fish the brinie stuff![/quote']You saying my comments are unfair is fine, but that is you opinion. And if you think the boating public is being unfairly treated, do something about it... i know thats hard but. higher rego for a larger boat, are you saying it shouldn't be like that... wicked so now my 5L V8 statesman is the cost of my mums 07 carolla to rego. Why shouldn't it be more??? bigger/longer boats or cars for that matter should be charged more for rego they do more damage to road and the like when they are being moved around. and before anyone has a cry about me saying that boats cause damage to the roads... everything causes damage to the roads. otherwise they would never need replacing.
You saying my comments are unfair is fine' date=' but that is you opinion. And if you think the boating public is being unfairly treated, do something about it... i know thats hard but. higher rego for a larger boat, are you saying it shouldn't be like that...[/quote']Its precisely what I'm saying.
wicked so now my 5L V8 statesman is the cost of my mums 07 carolla to rego. Why shouldn't it be more??? bigger/longer boats or cars for that matter should be charged more for rego they do more damage to road and the like when they are being moved around. and before anyone has a cry about me saying that boats cause damage to the roads... everything causes damage to the roads. otherwise they would never need replacing.
OK a point we agree on' date=' your V8 statesman does no more harm to any road, if driven within the law, than my 4 cyl Gemini so I agree that in regard to cars it should all be one price not on a scale depending on the number of cylinders you have.In regard to boats I see it differently. My boats are capable of doing as much damage as any PWC, Riv, Martimo, or Westcoaster. All of these have little if any need for public launching facilities as well, so why burden these owners with additional charges over & above those of us with smaller craft and in the case of PWC's smaller again? With the exception of PWC's they are stored in private marinas and again attract hefty sums for the previlege & [b']NONE[/b] of the moneys they contribute in levies or registration is ever spent on their facilities because its PRIVATE.But we are taking this thread off track. My inital post was about how our costs are already high. Not to have us bebate the fairness of the current system which should be discussed in another thread at another time.

The powers that be should change the "save the murray' levy to a 'fish the murray' levy, theres very little decent freshwater fishing oportunities in the rest of the state so people shouldn't be expected to pay for nothing, I think the murray has been saved in the short term (not by the levy mind you).The moneys paid only by murray river fisherman could/should be put back 100% into stocking cod and improving facilities along the river.cheers

A bit on latest snapper considerations from banana-bender land - replace "Queensland" with "SA" and the short notice fishing ban could happen here, on a seemingly very adhoc basis...hey, we`ve had concerned discussion over snapper stocks on this forum recently, folks.http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/ban-slapped-on-snapper-fishing-in-queensland/story-e6freon6-1225970921206But, off-thread, you say? Did you see the mention of fishing permits towards the end of the article?Wait there`s more...forget about your MPAs and piddly little $30 RFLs...with the 6 week snapper ban we might also be able to offer you the privilige of paying $70-90 for a snapper-specific permit. Latest QLD proposal that one, I kid you not.The above coming to a state jurisdiction near you...possibly some time real soon.RFLs will be small change if SA goes down this road as well. :dry:

I've read that article before. It certainly makes one a bit cheesed off about the possibility. I guess if the powers that be want to end a favourite recreational pasttime for many people, couple this type of idea (RFL's, Snapper Permits etc) with Marine Parks and the recreational fishery would be all but dead being a rich persons pasttime and nothing more. That would be very SAD TIMES if it were ever to happen.

Hi Ranger, sorry to take so long to answer your query.The simplest way is for me to tell you a TRUE story about what happened at the afore mentioned PIRSA/SARFAC Conciliation Workshop.After some 4 or 5 hours of very positive fact finding the organiser of the Workshop asked us to form into small groups and brain storm a wish list for what we all hoped to gain from the Workshop (No guesses for what me and my Vice President wanted ;))After long deliberation, which took us well over the allotted time for the entire workshop, the 6 groups, which represented every interested fishing body from disabled Fishing Associations to shack owners and everything between,came to the blackboard!No surprise then that many of the wishes were common, so a lot of these came under one heading (access to all fisheries being a major issue, fresh and salt!)Now, what was the common thread that would make all of these wishes come true beyond our wildest belief ???????GOT IT IN ONE!! LARGE QUANTITIES OF AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS!Over to you mate ;)

Thanks Tony. Don't be concerned about how long it takes to answer, as the important thing is that an answer does come.I'm a little confused about what this workshop actually is, as I know nothing about it and a PIRSA/SARFAC reconciliation workshop sounds to me like PIRSA and SARFAC getting together to sort out their differences.Just to clarify, this workshop you attended was I take it by invite, and you were there representing SAFWAA, along with representatives from other angling groups and interested parties, just to brainstorm amongst yourselves and network?Or were you there as a SARFAC representative?Would you mind explaining a little more please, just to ease my worried mind.

Thanks Tony. Don't be concerned about how long it takes to answer' date=' as the important thing is that an answer does come.I'm a little confused about what this workshop actually is, as I know nothing about it and a PIRSA/SARFAC reconciliation workshop sounds to me like PIRSA and SARFAC getting together to sort out their differences.Just to clarify, this workshop you attended was I take it by invite, and you were there representing SAFWAA, along with representatives from other angling groups and interested parties, just to brainstorm amongst yourselves and network?Or were you there as a SARFAC representative?Would you mind explaining a little more please, just to ease my worried mind.[/quote']Hi Ranger,SAFWAA, with me taking the lead on it and insisting on us paying a FULL voting Membership subscription, (and against very firm opposition within our Camp due to SARFACS long history of very small successes in it's 17 year long battle to exist),joined SARFAC mid 2010 to our mutual benefit I feel.Because I am the nominated person to represent SAFWAA, I receive incredible amounts of almost daily hard/soft copy of absolutely every form of communication from, Marine Parks, Blackwater fish kills, interstate RFL's, ministerial press releases, Garfish management proposals, snapper quotas,and a stunning release of the Budget leaked documents which I stuck my neck out to put on strikehook with one of the most controversial posts ever put on here, among other issues far too numerous to mention.At first I was a bit overwhelmed by all this data so referred it to my Committee and they told me to concentrate on Freshwater issues only, which I now do!I have formed some excellent communication with one or two of the more thoughtful and sensible contributors on strikehook and am delighted to be able to have some use made of this other data rather than just deleting it. (Please include yourself in the description in this paragraph)Now, to answer your question, I was astonished when I received SAFWAA's Membershipapplication to find how broad the umbrella of SARFAC is. I have already touched on some of these groups as diverse as Scuba Clubs, disabled fishers, shack owners, Fly Fishers, Tackle Manufacturers, Boating, Field and Game etc.This is the core of the conciliatory workshops between SARFAC/PIRSA.Within SARFAC is also a Group of famous SA Personalities, mostly writers in journals, fishing magazines and in the media eye, who promote every aspect of SARFAC and this group is called the "Champions" ie Championing SARFAC's cause.The initial Workshop was fully a Fact Finding event where we ALL, individually, spoke of what fishing meant to us and what we hoped for the future.The second Workshop was "How can we Make this work?"Talks are ongoing, I am extremely optimistic that we will have good resolution B)Regards, Tony.

Thanks Tony!Let me get my feeble head around this!So this is the recently formed "champions" group of which you speak. You represent the views of SAFWAA members only, along with many other local groups and local respected fishing identities, as a workshop to help establish an overall picture as to the perspectives of the angling community?I also believe none of this "champions" group are SARFAC delegates.Please fill me in on anything I may have overlooked or misunderstood. You know I am but a simple lad! ;) Lastly, how do we find discussion papers relating to group meeting, and updates on upcoming topics for discussion?ps: do not let reams of detailed information, facts and figures overwhelm you! I too have plenty of piles and files here (maybe we can exchange like penpals) which had similar effect on me. When required it's nice to know it's handy, and you can quickly start to organise it all to sort the useful snippets from all the lawyer speak and drivel!Of course I'm still dead against your own ideal of RFL's but you already knew that, and that hardly seems reason to make anemones, anenomes, aminemon, emine......bad blood between us! ;)

Thanks Tony. Don't be concerned about how long it takes to answer' date=' as the important thing is that an answer does come.I'm a little confused about what this workshop actually is' date=' as I know nothing about it and a PIRSA/SARFAC reconciliation workshop sounds to me like PIRSA and SARFAC getting together to sort out their differences.Just to clarify, this workshop you attended was I take it by invite, and you were there representing SAFWAA, along with representatives from other angling groups and interested parties, just to brainstorm amongst yourselves and network?Or were you there as a SARFAC representative?Would you mind explaining a little more please, just to ease my worried mind.[/quote'']Hi Ranger,SAFWAA, with me taking the lead on it and insisting on us paying a FULL voting Membership subscription, (and against very firm opposition within our Camp due to SARFACS long history of very small successes in it's 17 year long battle to exist),joined SARFAC mid 2010 to our mutual benefit I feel.Because I am the nominated person to represent SAFWAA, I receive incredible amounts of almost daily hard/soft copy of absolutely every form of communication from, Marine Parks, Blackwater fish kills, interstate RFL's, ministerial press releases, Garfish management proposals, snapper quotas,and a stunning release of the Budget leaked documents which I stuck my neck out to put on strikehook with one of the most controversial posts ever put on here, among other issues far too numerous to mention.At first I was a bit overwhelmed by all this data so referred it to my Committee and they told me to concentrate on Freshwater issues only, which I now do!I have formed some excellent communication with one or two of the more thoughtful and sensible contributors on strikehook and am delighted to be able to have some use made of this other data rather than just deleting it. (Please include yourself in the description in this paragraph)Now, to answer your question, I was astonished when I received SAFWAA's Membershipapplication to find how broad the umbrella of SARFAC is. I have already touched on some of these groups as diverse as Scuba Clubs, disabled fishers, shack owners, Fly Fishers, Tackle Manufacturers, Boating, Field and Game etc.This is the core of the conciliatory workshops between SARFAC/PIRSA.Within SARFAC is also a Group of famous SA Personalities, mostly writers in journals, fishing magazines and in the media eye, who promote every aspect of SARFAC and this group is called the "Champions" ie Championing SARFAC's cause.The initial Workshop was fully a Fact Finding event where we ALL, individually, spoke of what fishing meant to us and what we hoped for the future.The second Workshop was "How can we Make this work?"Talks are ongoing, I am extremely optimistic that we will have good resolution B)Regards, Tony.
Here's a litle link to the Champions Group and the initial Rec Fishing release by the Hon Paul Caica.http://www.strikehook.com/forum/74-pirsa-fisheries/77607-rec-fishing-survey

Thanks Tony!

Also the rec Fishing Champions Group FYI are -Shane Murton Wildcoast Fishing SAShane Mensforth SA AnglerJon Huie Fishing writerGreg Irving Fishing writerGreg James ABC 891 fishing contactJohn Cockshell Riverland contactMark Mills Tackle-shop employee On line fishing writer, Wildcoast writerNigel Hunt JournalistTrevor Watts SARFAC

Can I reiterate, as no mention is made in the above, that you represent the view of SAFWAA members, not of views expressed on this website or our membership here?
Thanks Tony!Let me get my feeble head around this!So this is the recently formed "champions" group of which you speak. You represent the views of SAFWAA members only' date=' along with many other local groups and local respected fishing identities, as a workshop to help establish an overall picture as to the perspectives of the angling community?I also believe none of this "champions" group are SARFAC delegates.Please fill me in on anything I may have overlooked or misunderstood. You know I am but a simple lad! ;) Lastly, how do we find discussion papers relating to group meeting, and updates on upcoming topics for discussion?ps: do not let reams of detailed information, facts and figures overwhelm you! I too have plenty of piles and files here (maybe we can exchange like penpals) which had similar effect on me. When required it's nice to know it's handy, and you can quickly start to organise it all to sort the useful snippets from all the lawyer speak and drivel!Of course I'm still dead against your own ideal of RFL's but you already knew that, and that hardly seems reason to make anemones, anenomes, aminemon, emine......bad blood between us! ;)[/quote']We will always agree to disagree on RFL's and that is exactly as it should be. B) What good is a forum with out different opinions? The glory of a good discussion is what drives us sad li'l homo sapiens ;)PM me your email and I'll trip you out on information overload :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: