Circle Hooks, what brands do you use?

The advantage of fishing circles is when fishing with a patternoster rig, you do not need to hook the fish so you can set the rod up with normal strike drag and place the rod in the rod holder, provided the rod holder can support the weight of the hooked fish running off with the bait in its gobb.Which means you can have one rod in your hand and another rod in a rod holder which will catch a fish if it bites.I gut hook very few fish these days which means you can release fish quick and catch more fish from the school, which is important with snapper as often they only bite for short periods of time.

Hey RollasI don't like circle hooks :) gamagatsu shiners sometimes to suit the bait I'm using.As far as circles go though, my mates uses em in small size for STs with success,The OWNER 6/0 circles he swears by for mulloway (not offset).... I'm yet to see him gut hook a fish with em, but the occasional mulloway will be hooked in the roof of the mouth.I figure you are more interested in em for the snapps, but I hope this helps anyway.For snapper I use the big reds :) or I do like the gamagatsu octopus'.

Once they are hooked you dont tend to drop them. I find with whiting on a paternoster rig you get less of the tap tap tap and just a solid hook set. With snapps it tends to be the same. We were using them with the kids on the weekend and they hooked up and landed just the same as us.One thing I really like is that they dont get gut hooked anywhere near like a J hook. Makes dehooking the smaller stuff a lot easier.Thats also why I am asking about the offset style to see if they work better or worse I suppose

Ive been using Offset Gammakatsu Octopus Circles for seven years on snapper and find them the Ducks Guts!!.The numbers of fish you catch with these has to be seen to be believed at times.:woohoo: THEY ARE TRUELY DEADLY :woohoo: - and I even converted a guy from QLD who had fished for 20years with normal J hooks and he said that hes never looked back. I now NEVER LEAVE THE RAMP WITHOUT GAMMA CIRCLES WHEN CHASING SNAPPER. These are also my hook of choice for live baiting whole Macks or other fish and if chasing Mulloway I would use the same hooks regardless of if baitfishing with dead baits or using livies.Here is the link to the ones I use.http://www.gamakatsu.com.au/products/circlehooks.htmlI got Boyo onto these a while ago and we both used em this season and the results were very pleasing to say the least.I know of three dropped fish and that two of those were during a rod handover to another angler.This paragraph from the Gamma website says it all.This offset circle design is the perfect deepwater bottom fishing hook with paternoster ‘dropper-style’ rigs or normal boat fishing with cut baits. When using this hook anglers do not strike on the bite, rather the fish is allowed to run with the bait and as the line comes tight the hook will roll into the corner of the fish’s mouth. This is a great hook to use for ‘lazy‘ rigs fished from a rod holder as fish simply hook themselves.Sizes: 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0, 7/0, 8/0, BlackAvailable in Pre Packs & 50 Boxes

I've used both the Gamakatsu offset and inline circles for several years and they are the only hooks I'll use for bait fishing (other than really small hooks for gents or worms). In my experience thetrade off is that offset style can gut hook fish occaisionally while the inline version sometimes miss hooking up. I also use Eagle Claw circle hooks on all my metal salmon lures, works great and very few thrown hooks.

Only ever used Offset Gammakatsu Octopus Circles while sitting on a school of snapper on a boat, did lots af catch n release and all fish were hooked in the jaw , makes for easy release.Landbased i use J style hooks always. It takes some getting used to fishing with circles if your holding your rod n reel.

Just playing devils advocate here, but since I actually do not use circle hooks, hopefully this adds to the thread.I have tried circles and I believe they simply do not suit my style of fishing. I like to always hold the rod. The only rod I don't hold is the game rod that has a livey under a balloon for a shark.I don't understand the idea of leaving a rod in the holder with fighting drag set.For me I'm more likely to be ready to strike or have the reel out of gear and then put it in gear after a run and strike. I may be a little stuck in my ways, but I've tried cicles and they gave me the serious shits :evil: I also prefer to choose my hook depending on the bait I'm using. For example the shiner hooks for prawns and octopus hooks for half a blue crab. A big red through the shoulders of a live slimey has served me well. And of course bloodworm hooks for any worms. For cockles and or razorfish I find the most important thing is baitholder style of hook....Yet I fish with a fella that uses circles happily and with success.I am enjoying the info on the circle hooks though ;)

I like to hold the rod in my hand while bait fishing as well, often with the reel out of gear and my thumb on the spool or with the clicker on. I've found the trick to getting a hook up with circles is to let the fish pick up the bait, drop the rod tip, put the reel into gear, wind up any slack and then slowly lift the rod to set the hook. Of course this method only works with overhead reels, but they are all I use on set ups for bait fishing (other than lightweight stuff for yfw, mullet, etc.), I dislike spinners for this sort of thing because they limit the ways in which you can fish with bait.

Yet I fish with a fella that uses circles happily and with success. quote]Haha i'm guessing you mean me :P Love circles for targeting certain sized fish, match the hook to the mouth you plan to stick it in, feel the take apply smooth pressure and 95 times out of 100 you have a perfect hook up. If your an aggressive striker, like Jack, then your gonna have trouble hooking up, also found for mixed bag fishing J hooks are better because as mentioned above I've found circles don't work so good when you're trying to stick them in fish ranging from small mullet to bigger stuff like schoolies but a size 4-6 bait holder will catch anything that swims.Oh VMC's and owners for me and tend to go non offset because they have been so effective I've seen no reason to try offsets.
Yet I fish with a fella that uses circles happily and with success. quote]Haha i'm guessing you mean me :P Love circles for targeting certain sized fish' date=' match the hook to the mouth you plan to stick it in' date=' feel the take apply smooth pressure and 95 times out of 100 you have a perfect hook up. If your an aggressive striker, like Jack, then your gonna have trouble hooking up,[/quote''] Peelin is SO SPOT ON.Once you master the art of not striking which I found to be really easy as I used to be a bit slow on striking with normal hooks and missed half the bites I got. Catchin fish becomes like shelling peas. You just dont miss.So circles quickly turned into the answer for me. Just a slow lift and BAM your on.But Jack your so right you just have to fish with the hook style thats suits you BEST.and I loved your line about different types of hooks for different types of baits. Makes perfect sense. Ive got to admitt that because I only bait fish for species like snapper, flatties and salmon, circle hooks suit me to the ground.Im yet to try small circles on trout or whiting but CANT WAIT to give it a go.saw some impressive footage of circles being used in an epic KG session and I was amazed.

The last time I killed a bream (knowingly) was the last time I didn't use a Gama Octo, and that about two years ago now, two years of at least one session a week in the Onk.I struggle with the concept that a fish released with a hook in it's throat or gut has much chance of surviving so I was put onto them and haven't looked back.Some top comments too about using them, they took a lot of getting used to and my bro still hasn't got them sussed yet! The difference between us though is that I use yellow braid and he uses a dark fireline I think it is. I can see the action, even at night with a good moon, and he has to really focus to see his during the day.We only fish catch and release in the Onk so the Gamma Octo suit us just fine.Keener than ever!

I have tried circles and I believe they simply do not suit my style of fishing. I like to always hold the rod. The only rod I don't hold is the game rod that has a livey under a balloon for a shark.I don't understand the idea of leaving a rod in the holder with fighting drag set.

URH is just being a lazy fisherman ;):P:laugh: :laugh: :laugh::fishing::boot::boat: My understanding is they can be applied to any form of baitfishing :) The circles are all about increasing hook-up rates, and are kinder on the fish which is a huge bonus in my opinion. We just came back from a stay over on Yorkes, and would have hooked well in excess of forty Ruggers, with only one taking the bait past its mouth, and saubsequently having throat/gill damage.Give it a good try, you might be pleasantly surprised B)

This topic made me think. I am swapping the bulk of my beach fishing for fresh water fishing and for weeks I have been contemplating Callop and the hooks needed. Will it be best for me just to downsize the same hooks, Gamma Octopus circle, to suit the different bait i will be using or do i need to use a different hook pattern. Avoiding gut hooked undersize is my number one priority when I embark on my next obsession, fun and comfort come after that. Would I be best off startin a new thread for this?keen

Hey Brent..LOL. I can be a bit Lazy with my second rod.. :clap: Okay I do like to have a second rod (fished lazily in the rod holder), but I do always have my Saltiga (primary bait rod) in my hand at all times. In fact the only time I will put it in a holder is to help someone else out like to net a fish or grab a bait for someone else.In fact what staggers me of late is that I find myself standing up for most of the trip when boat fishing when I could be sitting down.For some reason I just love standing up for snapper and amaze myself with how long I can stand up for. When I go food shopping at Coles, after an hour of standing up my back is stuffed yet I can miraculously pull hour after hour when on the water..LOL :d/ :d/MR Keen - this would be the PERFECT THREAD to find out what circle hooks would best be used for freshwater fish like callop, carp and trout.Having not used circles for any of my freshwater fishing, I am keen to know as well if we could just downsize the gamma octy offsets. Im thinking you could but thats just guessing. I guess for fishing worms a round circle maybe wont be ideal? but would love to find out too. My thoughts are that worms are better suited to a straight hook ie long shank but just maybe we could fish worms on a circle???? Yabbies and shrimps arent going to be easy to bait up on a circle though???

I,ve been using Mustard Demon and Gamakatsu Circles now for 12 months and this is my observation and technique todateSnapper, Only have used 6.0 and don't leave the rod in the rod holder as I'm ready to strike hard to set the hook after they have taken the bait, this has landed more fish over my son who didn't strike and has had lost big fish spitting the hook nearing the boat on several occasions.Leaving the rods in the holders on slow days, has ended up with more gutted hooks than not, so they will swallow circles hooks.Mullies6.0 circles and the rod left in the holder, as the mullies will set their own hooks when all hell is let lose.No gutted hooks here and they can be released quickly.Whiting6 > 1,0 circles and hold the rod and still strike by habit, under size fish can also be released quickly.As far as the crap fish goes, they don't swallow circles.I use go by the rules, but again I,ve made my own rules by results. :fishing:

Gamakatsu Otopus Circles for me, only got onto these from the input of members on this site. I can tell you that these are wicked for my Mully sessions as i do not get as snagged as much as i did with the J hooks, they also hook the mullies better in the corner of the mouth and are far easier and quicker to remove and do get far more hook ups as i did lose quite a few with the J's. I will never go back to J hooks again when chasing Mullies. Also caught my first metro snapper on these at 66cm i was stocked. :clap: :clap: :clap: :woohoo:

never used them' date=' but Black Magic make a hook that's a cross between a circle and kahle called "KL", might be better for baits like worms or shrimp.[/quote']Now these are a very good hook for the baits you mention mate, I bought a pack a while back and have no idea why I haven't bought more, maybe coz I got into the shiner hooks :huh: Anyway, good tip mate, I reckon these are a great alternative to the J hooks for better bait presentation, but more importantly they work. (black magic barrel swivels are brilliant quality too).I'm very open to diffent things when it comes to most species, but I'll never change my snapppering ways :P. Far out it's been a while since I got out after the knobbies :(:(:(:(

Just got back from doing some research and the results are as follows.5/0 Gamm Octo Circle hooks with pilchard chunks and rod held9 Bream around 25 cm, all lip or corner of mouth hooked and splashed me as they left2 Bream at 34cm and 1 at 36cm, 1 of the 34s was hard to get out of the lip but all swam off nicely1 40cm Schoolie hooked just inside mouth but easy extraction and good releaseFed a lot of the pickers but didn't hook them so happy with that.About 3 hours work and a nice welcome back after nearly 5 months absence from the river.Gammakatsu Octopus Circle hooks work, they are very effective in assisting us to fish catch and release without killing a portion of that with gut hooks, they're strong enough to cope with snapper and as sharp as ya need them to be. They seem to keep well too, rinsed and back in the pack(providing sharp enough still to warrant keeping) they don't seem to corrode as some other hooks do.keen

J they're strong enough to cope with snapper and as sharp as ya need them to be. They seem to keep well too' date=' rinsed and back in the pack(providing sharp enough still to warrant keeping) they don't seem to corrode as some other hooks do.keen[/quote']Would have to agree totally wit u Mr KeenBeen using Gamakatsu's for awhile now on the Reds, and have used trhe same hook on trips for around 3 months now, landing plentyb and only recently has it seemed to lose a bit of its sharpnmess :ohmy: B):clap: Never mind, I lost it to a very determined snag at Balgowan last week :S :whistle:
J they're strong enough to cope with snapper and as sharp as ya need them to be. They seem to keep well too' date=' rinsed and back in the pack(providing sharp enough still to warrant keeping) they don't seem to corrode as some other hooks do.keen[/quote']I would have to agree totally with u Mr KeenBeen using Gamakatsu's for a while now on the Reds, and have used the same single hook on trips for around 3 months now, landing plenty and only recently has it seemed to lose a bit of its sharpness :ohmy: B):clap: Never mind, I lost it to a VERY determined snag at Balgowan last week :S :whistle:
Just got back from doing some research and the results are as follows.5/0 Gamm Octo Circle hooks with pilchard chunks and rod held9 Bream around 25 cm' date=' all lip or corner of mouth hooked and splashed me as they left2 Bream at 34cm and 1 at 36cm, 1 of the 34s was hard to get out of the lip but all swam off nicely1 40cm Schoolie hooked just inside mouth but easy extraction and good releaseFed a lot of the pickers but didn't hook them so happy with that.About 3 hours work and a nice welcome back after nearly 5 months absence from the river.Gammakatsu Octopus Circle hooks work, they are very effective in assisting us to fish catch and release without killing a portion of that with gut hooks, they're strong enough to cope with snapper and as sharp as ya need them to be. They seem to keep well too, rinsed and back in the pack(providing sharp enough still to warrant keeping) they don't seem to corrode as some other hooks do.keen[/quote']Exacly why i choose to use these hooks. Thankyou Mr Keen, your success can only get better even more now. :clap: :clap: :clap: :woohoo:

I have been using them for way too long with excellent result to even think of using anything else when breaming or mully fishin. My goal now is to apply the same principles to callop fishing, catch them with minimal harm, maybe even eat the odd legal one mmmmmmmm....I'm thinking I might be best off keeping the baits big, good sized shrimp or yabbie on a 4/0 or 5/0 circlie to try to fend off the little ones but could that ultimately cost hook-ups on the old mud monsters?Love the idea of making little dents in the carp population at the same time as aiming for callop.I think I have the action of circle hooks fairly well sussed, would this allow me to downsize hooks without increasing gut hooks?k

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Blackmagic KL 1/0 circles for the last 18 months. These have been lethal on whiting! However, over the last month or so I have snapped 3 hooks, with two more of my fishing mates having the same problem.Bad batch or have they changed something in the design material? Interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem? 18 months with no issues, seems a bit strange this has started happening in the last 6 weeks! Going to try the Owner circles. CheersC85