Light tackle surf reel help

Hey guys, just back from Browns and have come to the realisation that i need a new reel.I have been using a Daiwa SOL3000 on a Seajigger 315. Problem is, is that it is way too hard to crank the 60gm metals fast enough to get a strike, so I am after a reel, the same size or maybe a little larger than the SOL, but with a high speed that i dont have to exhaust myself trying to get a hit.Any ideas? Price no object, nor is brand, just a small spinning reel of good quality with a high speed retreive

was bout to say.. love my sol3000 have smashed the salmon up to 14lb in WA on this reel.. with out any problems casting 40-60gram metals into the surf. how much you have to spend.. do you go up a size to the s0l4000 that Distubed1 loves.. he was matching it with a seajigger 10ft rod today...

to be honest a 3000 reel is not the best to be surf fishing with..maybe a 4500 to a 5000??? traditionally ive only used 6000-8000 reels in the surf when not using my alveys (650-651C's) . but when i drop down a few classes.. my sol3000 gets a solid work out on a 8' rod for chucking slugs about. and have had some very good results using this reel.

thanks for the help guys, i love the SOL3000 but it seemed i couldnt wind fast enough, though last trip to Browns i cleaned up on fish up to 4lb so maybe im overreacting?Anyway im getting another Seajigger, a 305 this time, so maybe ill go a bit bigger on the reel, maybe a 4000 or 4500 sized reel

ive always ran the larger reels with bait set ups.. tho today i ran the sane 8' rod with a shimano sienna 4500 reel... i too felt like i was winding for ever.. so i can see your problem.. though when swapping to Disturbed1s sol4000 and seajigger 10' it wa soooo smoooth and nice to fish with.. shame i didnt get a chance to hook up a fish with it!

I currently use a certate 2500r on a 7ft 3-5kg stick as a light surf setup, but also find the amount of line im retrieving per crank to be a bit of an issue. It works, but its tiring.Ive been toying with the idea of a Saltist Spin 4500, maybe something worth looking at. Only issue i see is weight for the combo.My other thought has been a stradic ci4 4000 to keep weight down. Double nicely as a combo for snapper plastics work.

i have never found that i need to "crank" my line in fast to catch sambos... mine have all been at a medium wind and have caught salmon all over sa with this method.. and i only use my saros 3000 on my angler 9ft stealth 4kg rod.. and only need to use 40g lures and get out further then anyone else around me.... Mully Madness uses 2-4kg boss rod with a 3000 penn applause and only using 40g lures using the same method and we have been the southern sambo assulters for the last two weeks... Infact all the bangers use between 7-9 foot light rods.. with 3000 size reels and people around us are using surf rods and still cant get the distance out ;)

as southie said i only use my little 7fter and 3000 reel and dont have any problems either casting or gettin into em guess its just personal preferance in the end ,i just love the fight on the smaller light rod .sought of makes a mountain out of a mole hill when you seem people round skull draggin em in with surf rods (if they can reach em ) and i get dragged around the beach left right and centre by the decent size fish in the school :laugh: .MM

If you're keen on a new reel the twinpower fc reels seem to be getting discounted at the moment. I think they are a higher ratio. I reckon you're on the right track with a 3000-4000 size reel. I use a 4000 shimano nexave on a starlo shorespin and love it. Not a fancy reel, but does a good job. As a few boys have said the when casting light lures the light graphite set ups with braid will outcast most big surf rods.

I've got the 315 seajigger matched with a ci4 4000 with 20lb braid. Nice and light in the hands and can cast a mile with it! Compared to what i was used to (a chunky 6000 on a 12ft uglystick) I can cast again and again all day :)Bloody great combo! Will eventually get the 305 for lobbing bigger slugsAs far as speed goes I wind at a medium speed and vary to high in the return and the 4000 seems to do the job without tiring me much.*Just wanted to add the ci4 4000 makes an insane snapper reel*