braid probs

hi strike hookers been having problems with air knots when casting with 4lb braid. use mostly for lure spinning. it has been wound on tight when first spooled onto reel.i use mostly light lures,but now and then still cast out and run the line through my fingers to retension onto spool. i keep line tight in contact with lure when spinning,but are still having problems with air knots. i have lost a lot of braid coz of this,it is getting to expensive to replace all the time. i have been using the team diawa tournament braid,changed to finns windtamer and still having same probs. i want to stick with 4lb line,thinking changing back to mono but dont want to lose properties of braid,any ideas would be appreciated cheers.

hi strike hookers been having problems with air knots when casting with 4lb braid. use mostly for lure spinning. it has been wound on tight when first spooled onto reel.i use mostly light lures' date='but now and then still cast out and run the line through my fingers to retension onto spool. i keep line tight in contact with lure when spinning,but are still having problems with air knots. i have lost a lot of braid coz of this,it is getting to expensive to replace all the time. i have been using the team diawa tournament braid,changed to finns windtamer and still having same probs. i want to stick with 4lb line,thinking changing back to mono but dont want to lose properties of braid,any ideas would be appreciated cheers.[/quote']what kind of rod and reel you using? might be adding to problems. I find when I try and blast out lures too far and strong I get wind knots, but if I relax my cast, (don't get as much distance on my casts) but no air knots. spool might be overfilled? I've had issues with overfilled spools getting plenty of knots. Finns I don't rate well either.I use black magic 10bux for 100yards at anaconda and i topshot it over some quality mono. its cheaper that way and your not gonna cast 100yards so it works well for me.

Wind knots when using light lures are a fact of life for most of us, especially when using the really light braids like 4lb.Sounds like you are doing all the right things, by ensuring it's tightly spooled and then retensioning constantly.It doesnt sound to me like the spool is overfilled, as you made mention that you have already lost a lot of line.My own suggestion would be to ensure you have a braid friendly reel which spools the braid properly, and to then retension the line a little more often.We all have our favourite brands of braid, and you'll only find your own through trial and error. If the problem still persists for you, about all I can suggest is going up a grade to 6lb line instead, as you will then have less problems with wind knots..................but I dont think you'll ever completely solve the problem, as I've lost count of the number of anglers (including myself) who I've seen sitting down and picking out knots in light lines.One question for you! Is it only happening with your soft plastic fishing, but when using hardbodies everything is ok with no knots?

How limp is the braid? I run the same braid on a couple of reels and have had a little trouble as it is ridiculously limp. Certainly makes it easier to wrap around a guide when casting too...I have dramas with wind knots all the time. The biggest mistake i used to make was reeling in under uneven tension when working plastics. It may look like its going on the spool correctly but there can be loose bits every where! Then you try for a monster cast..... BLOODY WIND KNOTS!I honestly find stiffer (not really stiff) braids are harder to knot up like that.As Ranger said we all have a preferences so get out there and try something new :) You could even try a mates combo next time you're out if he has different braid (saves buying and testing)Good luck dude

When I started out with braid some 7 years ago, I was astounded by how fine even the 10lb braid was compared with mono and over this time I only used that, but have eventually come to the conclusion that 8 lb braid by "Rovex" is absolutely the best braid I've used. Remember I fish every single week and now I'm retired, up to 4 times a week! One of the tricks I've learned in this time is to NEVER close the bail arm with the handle! After every cast, whether near or far, I look down at the spool, make sure that the first coil is laying straight, then I close the bail arm by hand then commence winding. Another thing I learnt over time was to resist determinedly the need to fill the spool to the brim as you would with mono! As soon as this was realised, there was a complete stop to wind knots! I used to carry a hat pin in my twistlock reel seat grip of my "Raider" but now I never do, but my sole concession is to carry a tooth pick in my wallet for the very rare occasions of getting a knot. Incidentally, a tip for getting that last little annoying, tightened loop out is too thoroughly wet the knot with saliva, wrap a rag, or pull your shirt sleeves over your hands to stop line cuts, then give the knot a very sharp jerk! voila and the line is usually fine!I used Fireline for a while when I started off but found it very stiff, it frays easily and when compared with the limpness of the better priced braids, there is no contest. I recently reversed my Rovex Braid line around after approximately 7 to 8 months of continuous use and then only because it was losing its colour!I have no experience with lesser breaking strain braid than 8 lbs unless I refer to my regular fishing buddy who uses 2 kilo line and has lost countless big fish and HUNDREDS of dollars of expensive lures under some misguided idea that the finer braid is less visible to the fish! HELLO? why do we fish with a couple of metres of invisible flurocarbon leader material? Hope there's a few tips to help you mate. Cheers, Tony.

hi ranger, only noticed more wind knots when using vibes and plastics. the first 4lb braid i used was to thin, i couldnt tie my braid to mono knots so i went back to using a swivel. but was still getting knots. swapped to finns windtamer in 4lb, it is alot thicker,easier to tie my braid to mono knots but alas same prob. my reel is a diawa luvious custom 2000 so i think it should handle braid. other members have suggested power pro braid so i think will give that a shot,retension line more frequently,thanks

hi squidder, sounds like you are right,1st braid was diawa tournament ,too thin was getting wind knots,guide wraps constantly. changed to finns wintamer,it is a lot thicker line, with less knots,but still happening. cheers will plugging away,other members been raving about power pro,fireline crystal.

only noticed more wind knots when using vibes and plastics.

I'm surprised! If it had only been when fishing plastics I would have suggested loose line on the spool, but the fact that it does it with vibes too rules out the loose line theory.Luvias is fine with braid, so the reel isn't the problem.That only leaves 2 possibles:1) Overspooled2) Light braid characteristics = wind knots inevitable.If your reel is no longer overspooled, I would suggest the only option left to you is to start changing braids until you find something you like.