Flathead Flys

G"day guys, here is a few flys my friend Jay tied, they are flys designed for Lizards.Can either be fished on standard fly gear or spin gear with the addition of a small ball sinker or large splitshot about a foot up the line.I think 2 are a proven Flatty taker and one has a couple of personal variations to another proven pattern.The colours are primarily green/chartuesse, which at the spots I fish is the no1 producer.These flys will pulsate when twitched , and cant wait to try them.Tight Lines 8)Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I use a 9/10wt for most of my jig head flies with WF 10 sinking line and 9lb tippet on a 100mm Olympic and medium to fast retrieve, bloody good fun when the lizards latch on.The one with the stinger I usually use an Abu MT-561CAM (Muscle Tip) with an Abu 6500 cs reel.They all troll fairly well behind the boat and are good on big snook and sambos. I especially like to use the big flyrod around the creek mouths North of Pt Broughton for lizards Also I use a 7/8w with straight flies for bream.MickyJ, I have only ever caught squid on commercially made squid jigs never on a hook RogerG

I use a 9/10wt for most of my jig head flies with WF 10 sinking line and 9lb tippet on a 100mm Olympic and medium to fast retrieve, bloody good fun when the lizards latch on.The one with the stinger I usually use an Abu MT-561CAM (Muscle Tip) with an Abu 6500 cs reel.They all troll fairly well behind the boat and are good on big snook and sambos. I especially like to use the big flyrod around the creek mouths North of Pt Broughton for lizards Also I use a 7/8w with straight flies for bream.MickyJ, I have only ever caught squid on commercially made squid jigs never on a hook RogerG

Thanks Roger earlier in the year at one stage at West lakes 6 different squid were chasing and getting my flies .could never land one they always spat the fly but seeing your fly got me thinking again.Next project after I catch a fish on a rattle fly of my makingCheersFlattie would be great on a fly

MickyJI suppose that a treble could be effective on squid, I will give it some thought. I have have some "Waggle" flies that a Scottish cousin tied, I will dig them out and perhaps I could incorporate a stinger into there tails for squid :icon_idea:Regarding your West Lakes encounter, I have successfully coaxed them into a large landing net after they chased my flies, but only a couple of times, more likely to happen when there several at the same time. Have an offsider hold the net under the water and lure the squid into it with the fly.RogerG

MickyJ regarding Squid on flies, these might be the go with a treble stinger on the tail. Note that the eyes are rattles and are available in much bigger and louder styles. The tails are "chrome" plastic braid but I might just tie some mono and thread it through for the stinger. It would require a 7-8wt fly rod to cast these but you would not want to use anything smaller, especially if the Sambos are around. I just might have to cobble together a brand new fly for targeting squid. Thanks for the idea.Posted ImageRogerG

MickyJ regarding Squid on flies, these might be the go with a treble stinger on the tail. Note that the eyes are rattles and are available in much bigger and louder styles. The tails are "chrome" plastic braid but I might just tie some mono and thread it through for the stinger. It would require a 7-8wt fly rod to cast these but you would not want to use anything smaller, especially if the Sambos are around. I just might have to cobble together a brand new fly for targeting squid. Thanks for the idea.Posted ImageRogerG

Roger they look like they might work my bright colour flies seemed to bring them in .I was getting funny gentle strikes for about a month.The best i could think of was like a crab taking your bait while bait fishing.Then one day off one of my beaches i haunt I saw them not all at once but 6 different squid .the largest of them were over 30cms.West lake beaches when the fish are on they work very well.
  • 1 year later...
Guest TACKRAT1985

thanks 4 showing us ur efforts cal n roger, look like theyre made well, i can c why a flatty would luv them, i wish i knew how 2 tie flies now and were 2 get accesories 2 do it. ive got an awesome flatty spot theyd work great at. cheers

Im a bit of a fly novice but..........., I reckon less is more when it comes to materialsYou dont need to load the flies, most baitfish are really really thin. My first attempt at a squid fly was two trebles, I crudely attached some chartuese wool to the front treble attached a stinger to the back only a few cms away. Very sparsely tie enough wool to reach the rear treble, squid loved it. I had trouble hooking the squid even with two trebles. Trick was not to strike, allow the squid to take the fly and gently raise the rod tip. The beauty of squid flies was even if you failed to hook up instead of spooking the squid they seemed more aggressive and tried harder to attack the fly.Less is more ;)Re the flatties, flatties will take almost any fly, Jighead with just about any colour material in the shape of a baitfish is an excellent idea for spinning, will do very well.More important than fly selection is a decent pair of spotters ( sunnies ). Spot the flatty, sight cast in front or alongside em and you will score em almost everytime. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...