Mulloway Tips (Help Please)

Ok I have been trying to catch a Mully for the last few nights and think I am doing something completely wrong.Basically used a tommie tonight as live bait (Couldn't get a legal mullet) and a hook in the mouth and another in the back. I got a hit with about 10 second run and I then slowly started the pressure, but after a few seconds went slack.The bait was chopped in half and I am thinking it was a mully but not sure. I threw it back out and after 10minutes same sort of thing and this time only the head left.Is this a mully or am I getting crabs. Rod bent a fair way and line spooling off for around 10 seconds both times.I have never caught one before and have only started to get serious, normally I am having fun with bream.The amount of times I could of asked Jimbo and never thought too, so any tips or advice from everyone would be awesome.I am spewing if it was a mully and by the way it was just after dusk.

I've never fished the Onk.The only thing I could suggest is if something bends your rod and takes line, I would strike to try set your hooks ;)I've lost plenty of big bream by going soft at the.start because I new they were big and ended up with an empty hook :( if it's a fish, it'll be a bream or Mully and if you've already caught a decent bream on your rod before then that should answer your question I reckon. But like Banga says, Jimbos the man to ask in that neck o the woods :)Good luck with the hook ups and take a pic for us when you capture the bugga

Where were you fishing first of all?? Onk I guess. Wouldn't bother with the Onk but I guess a good training ground from what I have read. When you get serious go to the Port. I have been fishing the Port for Mulloway for over 35 years. Generally have success every year at some point.Can give you some hints but you need to get large live baits first even if you have to spend the time to get them. Then you need a good live bait system. After that it is time fishing. Over the years I have taught myself simple is best. Areas to fish & when, time to go etc is another matter. Basic ABU 7000 or Shimano bait runner or similar with a 10 to 12kg rod is ample even for the 40 plus pound fish. If drift fishing around pilons etc then that again is another issue.Obviously need good knots & hooks. I've even tried the PR Knot. An over kill but it works. (PR Knot you can look up on the Internet). Hooks 6/0 to 8/0. Never used circle hooks!!!! for Mulloway but have for Snapper. Probably ok. Thin gauge strong hooks better than thick gauge hooks. Less to go thru the live bait etc. By the way no hook thru the mouth. Anyway its like pouring a cold beer. You need a cold glass to get a good pour etc. Do your homework & experiment. VERY IMPORTANT record what you do, where you caught live bait at that time of year, moon, tides etc. After a few years you will have records to refer to & increase your chances of a hookup.Don't get too hung up on fancy smancy gear. This will not catch you fish although nice to use.Again time fishing & live bait is the key as a starting point.I probably have some previous posts on this site & other sites regarding Mulloway fishing. Probably some on West Lakes as well.Time for bread & butter fishing at the moment. Heaps of crabs, gar & tommies around as well as Snapper. Yes I include Sapper as bread & butter as they are easier to catch. The snook aren't shy either.Today was great with the above species. Enjoy.

Not to sure it would be a mully if you were getting the bait back chomped in half,just the head left ect.In my experience missed mully runs normally end up with the bait crushed,or scaled...or both, they dont feed by chomping baitfish in half,they generally crush it in their jaws then swallow them whole,their teeth structure..although nasty looking is more designed for pinning ,this combined with a powerful jaw is what crushes .They dont chomp at things leaving half a fish ...maybe a soft bait like a pillie will break apart but firm scaley fish like tommies and mullet will either one of 2 things crushed with teeth marks or scaled as I said.Just my 2c...all the best on your quest and good luck with it. B)

Rybak never fished the port and wouldn't even know where to begin.The onk is great for me as its close by and my latest hobby is to catch a mully from there. Plently have done it and just not me.Also my 8yr daughter is now hooked and wants to see one caught. All she is ever saying is can we go fishing and even carries all the gear.

Anytime you want really Jim as I am now hooked on the subject. Just pm next time your thinking of heading down and I will certainly tag along if your up for teaching another newbie.I am over bream now My work lets me normally go out anytime unless I am seeing a client at night

im supprised no 1 has commented about your work with clients at night hehe