Burley Slicks - Is tuna oil crucial

High guys' date=' just want to know what peoples thoughts are on tuna oil, how important is it in a burley slick for attracting snapper and Mullies.[/quote']For snapper, I think if there in the area and on the chew ya don't need burley. If fishing over no structure as some do at night in close I would use it.For mullies in a boat situation I reakon it would be a great asset but as for beach fishing in surf type conditions I think it's effect would be more debatable?The hit and miss nature of mullies in particular makes it hard to judge effectiveness.Utimately I think that it is more a matter of right bait, right place and right time rather than burley practices. Available baitfish populations also attracted to your burley would also play a big factor I reakon.Maybe others have another view but off the top of my head that's mine.TB

My thoughts are where the ruggers go the bigger snapper go.So im thinking that if used off the rocks for example if just a few ruggers get wind of it and head in close for a look then the chances of the bigger fish following them are greater. Especially if when they get within range they are feeding on burley peices like pilchards etc. So Im thinking its got to be a good plus??

UHF, I think burley is used a lot differently nowadays. The burleying theory still makes a lot of sense, so far as attracting fish. Ie, you bring the little ones and the predators will come and the big predators in due course. Trouble I find is that I like to use pilchard baits (exclusively for just about everything if conditions allow), and sometimes burleying just means your baits are going to be picked apart by the littlies. I reckon this problem is compounded landbased this time of year with the abundance of puffers, trumpeters, and an assortment of other undesirables.I guess you are all over the fact that many successful boaties rely more on the sounder for the knobbies these days rather than the buckets of oil and fish frames of the past.Still, there is room for burley and I think the best example is the tommies &gar in the surface slick of oil and.grains. (magic for.snook appearances out the back as per the burley purist philosophy.... works a treat.I sometimes burley for school mulloway. Depending on the tide and the presence of undesirables ;).Having said all of this, I'm yet to catch a kept snapper that didn't have cubed pilchard in its guts from its travels up our burley trail ;)And to properly answer your question, I DONT think tuna oil is a must, but.if you insist on setting a trail, you ought to have oil in your mix, be it from the fish, tuna oil, or whatever oily substance you have to stick down deep and stink up your chunks as they drift away advertising a free feed ;)Good luck with your quest for a landbased Red mate... Chances are a nice mulloway or hammer/bronzie are on the cards for a second place finish B)

My thoughts are where the ruggers go the bigger snapper go.So im thinking that if used off the rocks for example if just a few ruggers get wind of it and head in close for a look then the chances of the bigger fish following them are greater. Especially if when they get within range they are feeding on burley peices like pilchards etc. So Im thinking its got to be a good plus??

You're really geting worried about the next Sydney Mardis Gras arent you urh :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :evil: :clap::clap::clap:
When has tuna ever been apart of a snappers diet. Why not just use fish sauce' date=' can get it for $10 for 4 Litre available from asian shopping centres verses $40-50 for tuna oil from tackle shops[/quote']Thats what you use Force :huh: Could be a good alternative once they start banning Tuna oil for gar in case a :sh tuns up :whistle: There's way to many cultures that would be upset if they banned fish sauce too :pinch:

I normally use chicken pellets for mullet,gar,and tommies,make it up into a nice mash then add some tuna oil.Works well, but one day forgot the tuna oil and guess what? caught heaps of fish ,actually no different to when I add it.It can come in handy, a trick I use when fishing for gar when they are touchy is to soak a bit of bread in it,then put it in the burley float,the bread just acts like a sponge to leak the tuna oil into the water,the gar follow its source not actually filling up on any burely.Under the right conditions it works a treat,but can work against you landbased when the slick drifts away with tide or wind taking the fish with it.As for snapper and mullies from a boat...err no idea.Cheers

I always try to use an oil based berley when fishing for either bait fish or mulloway. I too am a firm believer that IF the fish are around then you have a far greater chance of landing something by using a berley with an oil. I have always used a fish oil of some kind but this season I have experimented with different oils as tuna and fish oil are now making it an expensive exercise. I believe using a fish sauce or a molasses oil can do the same job. Have used both these of late with my last few outings searching for bait fish and have been successful on all of them. 40 mullet on one, 36 mullet, ST's and tommies on another and this sunday got another 23 mullet and tommies. What I had noticed was that baits were being smashed when berley was fresh in the water, but not so intense were the hook ups when the berley was not being used. So here you can assume that my oil based berley is doing its bit. I use the same process for mulloway (salt creek) but more for the bait fish, so catch the bait fish, transfer to bigger rods and so the cycle should go round. Summing up; I use the bait for berley (minced mullet, ST's, pellets and oil) to catch the bait (mullet and ST's) and then the bait to catch the mulloway. So the theory that smaller fish will bring larger ones is how the food chain should work. I can't say how these oils will work for snapper and such, one can only experiment with them, but I can certainly say it works in my system.

Ahhh I call it an annexe. I made it myself and it rolls into the luggage rack. Th luggage rack has two extendable poles off the side and one from the middle with two tent poles placed at the back of the rack and two at end of the annexe you form the tent shape. Both sides can be zipped up at once or stretched out with the back rolled up. Very wind resistent especially at salties and plenty of shade when all open. Makes it very easy to live out of the back of the car. :) Takes about 30mins to set up.

It did it again?????Freaken out here admin... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: TB

I think you were responding when I moved it.... I hope :unsure:
You mist have moved it just as the moon rose Aaron Happens all the time :huh: :dry:
Gathering the word 'mist' was a freudian slip their AFF? Or was mist added to moon to create a further sense of eerieness to the scenario at hand??? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: TB
  • 3 weeks later...
When has tuna ever been apart of a snappers diet. Why not just use fish sauce' date=' can get it for $10 for 4 Litre available from asian shopping centres verses $40-50 for tuna oil from tackle shops[/quote']Good tip Force. Bought some today for a try. Worst case i will use it for cooking anyhow lol. Soaking chook pellets in a 2lt ice cream container. Label says it's anchovie extract. Might add some oil canola oil to creat a slick.