Ugly Stik and Penn Slammers are both great products in my experience, never had an issue, I've owned several Ugly Stiks and have two 360 and one 260 Slammer. As far as the combo, like others have said, try to get them from the same place and try them out together to see how the outfit balances. Hard to go wrong with the prices at R&A's

Glad you posted this thread. I was looking at the spinfisher myself for beach fishing on Ray & Annes. It seems like the Penn reels are being cleared. I am really tempted to get a liveliner but the free braid (despite it being a rovex) is pulling me closer to the spinfisher instead. Ugly stik will most probably be the go to rod for meself too. Heard and read many good reviews on this rod and according to a regular WA fisho, the Penns are an absolute bargain at the moment.

It seems like the Penn reels are being cleared.

Penn has been distributed by Jarvis Walker for many years, but since they were bought by Pure Fishing a few years back they will soon take over the distribution of the Penn brand here in Australia. It seems that JW is clearing their Penn stock out and the rumour is that when Pure Fishing takes over the prices will go right back up again. So buy em up now.
Glad you posted this thread. I was looking at the spinfisher myself for beach fishing on Ray & Annes. It seems like the Penn reels are being cleared. I am really tempted to get a liveliner but the free braid (despite it being a rovex) is pulling me closer to the spinfisher instead. Ugly stik will most probably be the go to rod for meself too. Heard and read many good reviews on this rod and according to a regular WA fisho' date=' the Penns are an absolute bargain at the moment.[/quote']rovex braid does fade quick but its strength to diameter is ridiculous. so thin yet so strong. knots hold well i've been using it and haven't had an issue apart from the colour fade.
Glad you posted this thread. I was looking at the spinfisher myself for beach fishing on Ray & Annes. It seems like the Penn reels are being cleared. I am really tempted to get a liveliner but the free braid (despite it being a rovex) is pulling me closer to the spinfisher instead. Ugly stik will most probably be the go to rod for meself too. Heard and read many good reviews on this rod and according to a regular WA fisho' date=' the Penns are an absolute bargain at the moment.[/quote']rovex braid does fade quick but its strength to diameter is ridiculous. so thin yet so strong. knots hold well i've been using it and haven't had an issue apart from the colour fade.
The viros is good. I've had 50lb on my o/h surf and 30lb on my spin for nearly 3 years. I swear by it in the surf

Haha... ok... I'll just pay for the braid then. Thought the positive reviews about viros was to convince me to get the spinfisher. Live Liner will definitely be better.

Ask if they will do the same deal, I buy the reel, you give me free braid....... :whistle:Don't ask don't get ............
Haha... ok... I'll just pay for the braid then. Thought the positive reviews about viros was to convince me to get the spinfisher. Live Liner will definitely be better.
Ask if they will do the same deal' date=' I buy the reel' date=' you give me free braid....... :whistle:Don't ask don't get ............[/quote'']And if not do it in store. (With their Spooling Machine)Much cleaner on the Spool than hand done and usually alot cheaper!TT

Well, bit the bullet and ordered the rod and a different reel. Took the advice from a few of you guys and got a penn 760L (live liner). The 560 did feel quite light for the rod and once I put the 760 on it felt a lot more balanced. Getting the thing loaded with 30lb viros braid, can't wait to catch the first beast on it!

Yeah glad you ended up going 30lb jack, cos off the rocks into a stiff breeze you often need to cast 4oz instead of 3oz and the extra strength means you can really ping em out without having to risk a break off and watching a $1.50-$2.00 lead flying through the air..LOLThe 30lb will help you land that rare 30lb red in the channel or big channell Mully too :d/:d/ :d/And next time you re-spool it think of putting Platypus clear LO-Stretch on it. Bjorn caught his last 20lb strongy on this stuff and the clear really helps you catch fish I reckon.Specially if your using 30lb string and no fluro carbon leader?

And next time you re-spool it think of putting Platypus clear LO-Stretch on it. Bjorn caught his last 20lb strongy on this stuff and the clear really helps you catch fish I reckon.

Not a big fan of this stuff. Spooled up my big Pflueger with it. Dunno what it is about it, just doesn't feel right and I can't get it to cast as well as the Pre-Test I had on before it. Probably just me though. :P
Glad you posted this thread. I was looking at the spinfisher myself for beach fishing on Ray & Annes. It seems like the Penn reels are being cleared. I am really tempted to get a liveliner but the free braid (despite it being a rovex) is pulling me closer to the spinfisher instead. Ugly stik will most probably be the go to rod for meself too. Heard and read many good reviews on this rod and according to a regular WA fisho' date=' the Penns are an absolute bargain at the moment.[/quote']Hi Pikkon. If you are going to use braid then go with the Live Liner/Slammers. The Spinfishers are best suited to mono and they don't seem to like braid.

don't be afraid to get heavier braid. if live baiting thin braids tangle easily. i prefer mono or i use thicker braid 50lb-80lb helps reduce tangles and won't break as easy if you do hook a fish in snaggy terrain.

Yeah plan is to get another spool with 20-30lb mono and use that for areas I know are rocky/snaggy
Glad you posted this thread. I was looking at the spinfisher myself for beach fishing on Ray & Annes. It seems like the Penn reels are being cleared. I am really tempted to get a liveliner but the free braid (despite it being a rovex) is pulling me closer to the spinfisher instead. Ugly stik will most probably be the go to rod for meself too. Heard and read many good reviews on this rod and according to a regular WA fisho' date=' the Penns are an absolute bargain at the moment.[/quote']Hi Pikkon. If you are going to use braid then go with the Live Liner/Slammers. The Spinfishers are best suited to mono and they don't seem to like braid.
The Slammers have better line rollers than the Spinfishers, the better the roller the more braid friendly the reel usually.Never been a fan of liveliner style reels myself, I prefer to use overheads for that sort of thing, but heaps of people use them and they seem to work for them. Hope the new setup treats you well Jack.