Baitrunners and Snapper Fishing

I did a search and couldn't really find a definitive answer so allow me to apologise in advance if this has been done to death and direct me to the relevant thread/s.Let me start by saying i have used baitrunners for years, live baiting etc, but i'll come clean, i've never used the baitrunner function while Snapper fishing.I like to fish for Snapper in gear and now with the rise in my use of circles that's the only way to fish for them.I was looking at buying a new reel for Snapper and the salesman at the tackle store tried to convince me to buy a baitrunner reel?Do any of you guys and gals use baitrunners for Snapper and how do you find your hook ups compared to not using the baitrunner?Do you use a baitrunner reel just because you bought it as a dual purpose reel (like myself) but don't use the function for snapper fishing?Thankyou for any feedback.

I'd agree,in the shallows i find the fish skittish and think they prefer to grab a bait and run where out deep they are quite happy to sit there and have a chew.Sometimes i'll even pull off a bit of line by hand to get it started so they feel minimal resistance.This is pretty important off metro. cheers brenton

I'd agree' date='in the shallows i find the fish skittish and think they prefer to grab a bait and run where out deep they are quite happy to sit there and have a chew.Sometimes i'll even pull off a bit of line by hand to get it started so they feel minimal resistance.This is pretty important off metro. cheers brenton[/quote']Agreed

i dont hav a baitrunner reel but i fish a lot 4 snapper and i all way hav a loss drag and still run circles hooks i dont miss many fish at all i fine some time a snapper will just mouth the bait if they feel tight line they wount tack it

so i would run a baitrunner reel if i was u i love my overhead reels

Mate, I never use circles or a bait runner reel. Just me, but I've done okay and find no reason to change. I see loose line and loose drags as being my enemy with all fish except bream.Not to say baitrunner functions aren't good, but I don't use em and certainly wouldn't bother mucking around letting snapper run... Don't really see the need, but.do concede that some of these shallow water snapper dudes may well know what they are doing!!! So can't argue with what works for em.Thats my two cents if it's helpful :)

Mate' date=' I never use circles or a bait runner reel. Just me, but I've done okay and find no reason to change. I see loose line and loose drags as being my enemy with all fish except bream.Not to say baitrunner functions aren't good, but I don't use em and certainly wouldn't bother mucking around letting snapper run... Don't really see the need, but.do concede that some of these shallow water snapper dudes may well know what they are doing!!! So can't argue with what works for em.That's my two cents if it's helpful :)[/quote']I used to fish snapper with nothing more than hand lines years back and hardly ever lost a fish, 50lb line on a ring caster and no bait runner.I reckon using a running rig is the same as leaving just enough line to let the fish run enough to take the bait and run.(what the...}Still interested in the shallow fishing though. Most of my snapper fishing is less than 20m of water. What depth do you fellas consider shallow fishing?
Mate' date=' I never use circles or a bait runner reel. Just me' date=' but I've done okay and find no reason to change. I see loose line and loose drags as being my enemy with all fish except bream.Not to say baitrunner functions aren't good, but I don't use em and certainly wouldn't bother mucking around letting snapper run... Don't really see the need, but.do concede that some of these shallow water snapper dudes may well know what they are doing!!! So can't argue with what works for em.That's my two cents if it's helpful :)[/quote'']I used to fish snapper with nothing more than hand lines years back and hardly ever lost a fish, 50lb line on a ring caster and no bait runner.I reckon using a running rig is the same as leaving just enough line to let the fish run enough to take the bait and run.(what the...}Still interested in the shallow fishing though. Most of my snapper fishing is less than 20m of water. What depth do you fellas consider shallow fishing?
less then 12-15m. most of my land based snapper would not be any deeper then this. if 20m plus no need for bait runners usually.

As most would know I fish for snapper in extremely shallow water all most every time I go out always 5m or less.I do not use Baitrunners but did buy one for my wife which she loves because it gives her 2 options. If she needs to put the rod in the holder she engages the baitrunner function and does not need to muck around re-setting the drag (something she struggles to do) however when holding the rod she just waits for the bite and immediately sets the hook. I do the same with my gear if I feel I bite I usually dip the rod forward to give the fish a bit of line then when it comes tight I strike. If I put my rod in a holder I loosen the drag and tighten when I hook the fish, its harder to do but is second nature to me now. So really it all depends on your confidence and what you find easier to do.If they made baitrunner reels in the size and weight I now prefer to use when snapper fishing then I too might consider using one but till then I will continue to use what I use now.If using standard equipment not light sportfishing gear then I would seriously think that a baitrunner is the best option, after all just because you have the function you dont have to use it all the time but there are times when they are handy. For snapper stay to the smaller sizes my wife has a 4000FD (I think thats the model)and its more than capable to pull any snapper that swims I dont see any point in going to the larger sizes as it only makes your outfit heavier for no real benefit.Having said all this though really it boils down to what you feel the most comfortable using, everyone has their own ideas and we all achieve much the same in the end......a snapper on the boat floor, so whose to say what is right and what is wrong :) cheerssnapps

Thanks for the feedback guys.Snapperhead, stumbled upon your threads whilst searching for this topic and you and your lovely partner sure have snapper fishing sussed, well done to you!The only time i did use the BR function the snapper either spat the bait or the hook, maybe i left the run a little long.Just out of curiosity mate what size reels are you fishing with these days?

Im using a couple of Luvias 3000's and a Pflueger wide arbour which hasnt got a size number but its around the same size as the Daiwa's maybe just a bit smaller in the body. I go for strong light weight construction and smooth drags. I checked and the Shimano baitrunner Bec uses is a 4000FA which she has matched to a Team Daiwa 10-20lb rod. Im using braid from 10 to 20lb on these reels.cheerssnapps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest horses4courses

never used a baitrunner for snapper.........95 % of my snapper are land based in some pretty "gnarly" areas.........so it's hit'em hard,turn their heads and bring'em in.......or lose 'em :angry: use one in the Port though for mullies ;)