Fluorocarbon

The thing about fluorocarbon is that it has the same refractive index as water, which means it's almost totally invisible when immersed. It's great for finicky fish who get spooked easily. Wouldn't worry about it if you're targeting Salmon, Snook, KGW, Snapper etc but for Bream, YFW, Flathead and others it can give you a good advantage.

I tend to use fluorocarbon for must small fish. Anything like snapper and bigger, I wouldn't bother. I do use braid though, so it is awesome for that. Has in fact caught me out a few times, seen a little bait fish coming towards me, then realised it is my lure. The stuff is awesome.

I try to use flurocarbon leader whenever I can afford it.I use braid exclusively. For my light fishing I tie flurocarbon directly to the main braid. That trace is generally 2-3 rod lengths so does wind on the spool a bit. Nowadays I use this same approach for lures and bait. Ie lures soft or hard then swap to a size 00 ball sinker running str8 to a hook for bait. simple and effective natural presentation for heaps of species mainly bream YFW and salmon. My mully/snapper combo I only use upto 1 meter of 40-60lb fluro. Main braid runs an ezyrig slide, then swivel, then the fluro with two shelled 6/0 - 8/0. I use the fluro for natural presentation, ie the fish cant see it, but more importantly for the abrasion and shock resistance... I've never had a problem with it, not suffered breakage, seem to have a good amount of bites so long as fish are about, and I feel confident that im using good quality stuff at the business end. There is probably an arguement that it may or may not be worth it, but like I say about the confidence, confidance is priceless when it comes to fishing. Forgot to mention, when fishing big plastics, I use a slim beauty knot to help the 60lb fluro slide through the guides better, and I don't use quite so much, more like just over a rod length so haven't tried "winding it on" .Cheers

If you want to use it for bigger fish I'd suggest just making rigs out of it, instead of using it as a 'leader'. Personally I think it would work well for Mulloway. Those Silver Ghosts are illusive at the best of times (unless your name is Jack) and any advantage you can get is a good one in my books.Edit: The Mully Master has beaten me to it! ^ Listen to him not me, he catches the fish! :P

No, but the plastic slides are pretty smooth. I don't use fireline in the heavier class though, proper braid goes well. Only mention fireline because I like it but only use it under 10lb and not with slides.... That stuff does fluff a bit and maybe a slide would make it worse ?

Paul from Ifish TV had covered the subject recently on fluorocarbon lines.It’s virtually invisible in water and testing colors “red” was the least noticeable one.A test was done using different colors and lowered into the water,they had a guy dive and the red was best one to use.

Guest Red Bull

Have heard "stories" of divers accidentally cutting themselves underwater,and not realising it.........the colder water numbs the pain of the cut,and the blood not seen until :sh .........not sure how much BS is involved with those stories though :unsure: I guess it's a "logical scenario" though.........better call "MythBusters" ;)

What size would you use for yfw and flathead, i was thinking 15, is that fine? or could i go smaller comfortably? And what size would you use in places were u can get mullies and sharks, as i don't want a shark chewing through it, 60lb-80lb?? As i understand mullies won't take a wire trace!Cheers fellas

Guest Red Bull
For yellow fin' date='I always use 6 lb.........that's plenty in my opinion.For mulloway' date='I use 80lb Jinkai ;)[/quote'']i use 4 lb on the YFW especially when using poppers....Sambo
Yeah,plenty of people have told me to go lighter again,as I'll be giving the poppers a shot this summer too B)

@ Red Bull. Have heard "stories" of divers accidentally cutting themselves underwater,and not realising it.........the colder water numbs the pain of the cut,and the blood not seen until .........not sure how much BS is involved with those stories though I guess it's a "logical scenario" though.........better call "MythBusters" Not wanting to hijack the thread. If you cut yourself underwater it often looks green. Having done most of my diving in the UK in cold water I can attest to the fact that you can lacerate your hand and not notice it until you surface. Especially in the winter, deep water, at night, no torch. I Don't miss that!!Interested in the topic at hand, not used Fluoro yet but am considering making up some KGW traces and also using it as leader instead of mono.

hey mateI use a variety of leader and have a nice selection of brands and lbs.In the surf and rocks, I use Jinkai (green and red) pretty much exclusively, this is not flurocarbon.For all my small stuff and livebaiting I use flurocarbon - Sunline, Berkely Vanishbuy a proper wind on if you want to use that, definitely don't use flurocarbon...Flurocarbon was never designed to wind onto your reel.Another tip, fish next to a guy using high quality leader or flurocarbon and he will always outfish you, so in my opinion, flurocarbon is amazing