Jerk’n My Shad, Crank’n My Chubby & Flick’n My Worm

Jerk’n My Shad, Crank’n My Chubby & Flick’n My WormHi All, this is a long post that has a movie at the end. Can I suggest you start the movie down loading while you have a read then sit back and watch 15 minutes of Chucky’s & Snapps, Fishing Weekend. Please Enjoy, and let me know if you would like to see more moviesWell after last week’s success on the Salmon, Snapps was real eager to head to our old spot, to see if the fish were still around. We decided that seeing as Snapps had the whole weekend off; we might hit the Salmon on the Saturday and the Port on the Sunday, to have a practice on the Bream. This time the Video Camera was packed, as those Salmon were worth some footage.We hit the water at 7am and was greeted with a very light northerly, so opened up the ol 40 yam, trimmed her out and within no time the Dory arrived at our chosen spot and not another boat in sight. The tide was an extremely high one, so locating our spot was a little harder than usual, but soon the pick was dropped and burley bag put over the side.Weapons of choice this trip was the BD Flats Rangers, fitted with the 1500 Daiwa Luvias reels, Snapps had 6lb Fireline I had 4lb. Bait of choice the Berkley 5” Jerk Shads on Nitro 1/8th 4/0 jigs. Although I had an absolute ball last week catching them on my Clear Cut 2-4kg rod, the Flats is more suited to this style of fishingAfter getting a report that the netters had been in the area during the week, it was with great anticipation we cast in, Jerk, Jerk nothing. Next cast, Jerk Jerk, “KAPOW” I’m hit with a spectacular explosion on the surface and the sight of a “BIG” Black Backed Sambo tail walking across the water, peeling line of the Luvias, like it hasn’t felt for quite a while.After a good fight, Snapps nets 2kg+ of prime Australian Salmon.Posted ImageSnapps was Jerk’n away, but alas was still a virgin, as I struck into another fish, yeehaw I thought as line again peeled from my spool, this fish was a tad smaller but they were fish and they were still here. Half way through my fight and that sigh of relief is heard as Snapps pulls up tight and his Flats bends, as line peels from his Luvias.Posted ImageOur first of many, double hookups. Now I had bought the video camera this time, but it lacked one thing? Someone to run it, while we caught the fish, ha-ha. So I readied the camera and we continued fishing, alas it went quiet.The wind picked up and sea started to get lumpy and we were forced to anchor up at our different spots, as running the electric was near a waste of time. We had it full boar on 10 and was only just fighting the strong northerly that was blowing. To our surprise we were joined throughout the morning by half a dozen other boats who had braved the seas to have a go at the Salmon. There were plenty of burley slicks in the area but the fish were hard to find and the size, when we did catch them was the smaller 1 1/2kg ones. Everyone else there was bait fishing and in our time there we didn’t see one other boat land a fish.There was one boat that seemed to be on the flats fishing for something else, it had been there since early morning and was a tad too far away to see if he was getting anything. At a guess, we thought he must be Flathead or Yellowfin Whiting fishing, as the water he was in was very shallow.As the tide rushed out, our gutter started to be easier to see. So we slowly moved away to reposition ourselves. As we are moving I troll my Jerk Bait behind the boat and within 50mts I’m hit and fight in a nice 1kg Salmon. Snapps drops the anchor and hits the burley bag hard. A few casts and we were both hooked up again, we had found a school of smaller Salmon and some would have only gone 700-800gm. Mind you still great fun in 5ft of water on 4lb Bream gear.After a few fish it again went quiet for about half hour so we again moved on. This time we tried a gutter that ran back to the shallow flats as we had seen fish feeding here before. First cast and both of us are hit by freight trains of fish; my line snaps straight away, Snapp’s a second later. DOHHHH! We re rig and cast in again, only to both be smashed in a second, but this time we hooked up solid and each fought our fish to the boat.Snapps with a BeautyPosted Image

It then went quite again, so some lunch was on the cards. I threw the float line over with a pilly on a single hook and sat back to eat. Out the corner of my eye I saw a bite, so pulled the bait in and it was half gone. New bait I cast again and as I turned to sit down snapps yells “Your On” as it’s hammered straight away. After a small run it drops the bait, Dohhh…….Snapps grabs his trusty Flats, casts to the spot, Jerk Jerk “WHAM” as he too gets hammered, this time he came home for dinnerPosted ImageAfter this the wind calms a touch as it starts to swing south, so the electric is deployed again and we head off for our final hours fishing. Lucky for us we yet again came upon a school of big ones and on one of our double hook ups I get the vid running, just holding my rod high while I tried to get some footage of two monster Salmon being caught at once, I lost mine, but snapps got his in and with some great footage tooPosted ImageSoon as I had re rigged, I hooked up again, and this beauty had really engulfed my 5” Jerk Bait and I just couldn’t help but get this classic shotPosted Imagewell we got a few more small ones and had hit 27 fish on the “Dory Counter” I said to Snapps “That’s what we caught last week, we have to get 3 more to make 30” So we madly cast away again. With snapps hooking up and losing two in a row it looked like we wouldn’t get to 30, then before you know it I had one then Snapps caught 2 small ones in a row to make it to our 30 landed for the day. I would hate to think how many we lost as well? It was one top day back at one of our old haunts

Sunday morning and we hit the water at “Gentleman’s Hours” 7.30am. We see in the car park there are a few other boats out too. First spot and that bloody southerly was blowing hard. It was near impossible to hold the boat and fish, so we headed for some sheltered water. On the way we pass some likely looking spots, so give them a go but that relentless wind soon had us looking for a sheltered bay. First one we hit and the Cubby’s are armed. Today I’m using my BD Clear Cut 2-4kg and within a couple of casts I start getting very light taps, I cast again and get that tap tap again. So I let the lure sit for a little longer than usual, Crank, Crank and “POW” I’m hit by a very nice Breamski.Posted ImageAgain we didn’t have the video camera ready so it was only a few shots of the caught fish. As Corinne is filming me Snapps gets a strike and is onto a nice fish as wellWe continued to work the area but with no luck, so again braved the wind and moved on. We headed over to another spot that had a little bit of protection and straight away Snapps was into one, but the structure won. We then met up with Leithal and his fishing mate for a quick chat. We then concentrated on a wall and pulled our next 3 “Well” fish from this spot. We had changed over to the Berkley Gulp for this spot and “Flick’n the Worms” certainly worked for usPosted ImageSo after a weekend of Jerk’n our shads, Crank’n our Chubbys and Flick’n our WormsI can’t wait till next weeks fish. Gee I think I’m hookedCheers chuckPS if you hit the word “Vimeo” on the movie it will take you to a bit larger screen download to watch ithttp://www.vimeo.com/2040452

Gee I've missed these stories from you mate.It's great to see you with enough time on your hands to write them again.Always a pleasure to read them, and always curse not being there with you guys.Loved the movie too. You're a dab hand at making movies too. Is there no end to this mans talent? ;)Gaff

thanks for all the replies guys, it sure was a good weekends fishing, like most we have, just took some time out to film a little of this trip ;)

have to ask though.....what does htfu stand for ??????

Harden The F.... Up ;Dwhere Snapps works (smokemart) they are bringing a new line of merchandise out. They have registered the Ronny Johns/chopper saying, htfu, reckon its gonna look good on the side of the Dory ;) again thanks for all the great comments i'll try and get some more interesting footage in the future, just wish we had a camera person who doesn't want to fish hahahahaha

Very enjoyable vid mate, thanks for taking the time and effort to put it together for our enjoyment.Just on those wounds on the Salmon,I have seen this whilst fishing at Ponde over shallow reef,at first I thought it was attack wounds,but it is actually where they have scraped themselves on the rocks in their bid for freedom.They get bruises and scrapes ,maybe fishing over similar shallow reef its possible that the wounds on your fish maybe the same thing.Anyhow once again great work Chuck.

• 2 weeks later...