should rays be killed?

just wondering on other peoples opinions, do you think rays should be killed for bait, food, or just because you hate them??? i found this pup (about 180kg) dwn at grange tonight it was gaffed and just left on the beach it had sand stuffed down its spiracles so obviusly sufocated(torchured). it wasnt used for food or bait as it didnt have any fillets taken off it either. my opinion, ther stupid retards who killed it for no reason and havnt got a life size=640http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/CP5KkgZU__smoothie_dwn_grange.jpg[/img]

Guest undertaker

My opinion is that ray's should be released :),unless you want them for a bit of bait or food or what-ever......mind you,you'd want a smaller one than that 180kg you found Brookesy :o.......but too sensesly just kill one for the sake of it is ridiculous >:(........especially if it had been tortured :icon_evil:

They're not protected or endangered, so I have no problems with anyone killing them! But just like any other animal, ya have respect for it, ya only kill it if you're gonna make use of it, and ya do it humanely!If ya know how to do it, ray flaps really aren't that bad on the bbq, likewise, in the past, a few unscrupulous dealers have actually used lil scone cutters to take small circles of meat from stingray flaps then palmed them off as scallops!

Guest undertaker

As Steve Irwin would have said "CRIKEY MATE LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT"

And we all know what happened to him ;D.......probably not the best comparison / example in the world ::)Or,were you "quoting" his last words? :P

This behaviour is shocking as a matter of fact I found a small eagle ray all tied up in rope hanging off a cliff, this crap is disturbing as it is wrong to kill them unless its for food (especially something as magnificent as eagles) Stringrays are natures vacums and should not be killed for they are just merely trying to clean up the ocean floor. FYI I only killed one but that was a fiddler and was to eat. PS they taste good!

There are some very sick individuals out there and about time that if and when caught they are dealt with severely .No do-gooders and no lollies either.

Ya have my vote of support there!Maybe what we need is public outcry and condemnation when these mongrels do get caught, so the legal system starts to take notice and toughen the **** up on these ****holes!

i f*%^&$@ hate it when i see d^$@*^&$@ kill ray's or even cut off their tails just because they think they're menice or some kind of dangerous beastie. i always release ray's and sharks because i believe they are a slow growing, slow breeding fish. don't get me wrong, most of my fishing is done catching sharks and ray's etc. i don't have any problem with catching for food, but to kill these fish for fun you must be screwed in the head with no respect for the ocean. cheers. lc

Thats just wrong. All living creatures deserve respect, to kill a ray for no reason, just because you can is sick.There are some really f*! :icon_eek:** up people out there with some serious issues.Rays are part of the environment, theres no need to kill them. plague animals and introduced... fair enough... but anything else. just release it.

Unfortunately this sensless act will just put another bullet in the chamber for the non fishing publics view of recreational fishing, by painting us with the same brush as these so called fisherman!. Kill it! Eat it!. And if the ray,puffer,trumpeter etc.is stuffed, dispose of the carcass appropriately, so the Smith family going for their morning walk along the beach didnt have to find it!, The majority of anglers are avid conservationists, who care for our fisheries future and sensless acts of torture to our marine life in the eyes of the public, definitely doesn't help our fight for unfair marine parks in the future, affecting "our" rights to fish many sections of our coastline and waterways.

Spent an afternoon down st.kilda hoping for one of them bream or whiting being caught recently. Nothing off the breakwater so came back and went off the rocks round the marina/ new boat ramp area.Still nothing but while fishing there i noticed a ray carcass hauled up on the rocks. :oIt was a decent size, dont know if it had been caught there but it had it flaps cut off and barb removed..Anyway just thought id mention it

Unfortunately this sensless act will just put another bullet in the chamber for the non fishing publics view of recreational fishing, by painting us with the same brush as these so called fisherman!. Kill it! Eat it!. And if the ray,puffer,trumpeter etc.is stuffed, dispose of the carcass appropriately, so the Smith family going for their morning walk along the beach didnt have to find it!, The majority of anglers are avid conservationists, who care for our fisheries future and sensless acts of torture to our marine life in the eyes of the public, definitely doesn't help our fight for unfair marine parks in the future, affecting "our" rights to fish many sections of our coastline and waterways.

100% in agreeance! Good post!

your a frigin idiot breamzy!!

Brooksy ya took the bait lol.Now if you were a mulloway i would be chucking lures at you.Just kidding mate.Im sure this bloke is stirring the pot and probably realy doesnt mean what he is saying.

I think if your not gonna eat it put it back.Every species has it's place in the ecosystem.If we remove any of them we are upsetting the balance.I hate people that kill stuff for no reason.I'm only a little bloke but i'd take on anyone who kills animals for no reason.I say NO to killing rays