what are those green rock cod called from cape jervris and are they protected or edible

sorry dont have a picture as i did,nt have a camera with me at the time as for the size of the fish it would have been the same size as a legal bream it was light green in colour with purple markings on it kind of rainbow coloured and had small razor sharp teeth on it looked like a rass species to me

Spiny and BentThat is interesting with regard to blue-throats, we`ve always released them (unless we need to top up our lobbie bait supply).True story with the adequate palatability? Well, I never...and the fight is fun, the larger ones seem to feel like a monster KGW...Blue groper - meh, edible, but with us having had the culinary experience any caught go straight back. Pass.Didn`t really float our boat I must say. Personally, if they end up being protected in SA then no great loss to the taste buds.

I asked this same question a while back about blue throats, as we catch plenty off Cape jervis and KI chasing snapper. We normally throw them back but were told they were good with a decent beer batter. I've heard there's a commercial fishery in Tasmania and the method of a capture is in steel catches and big pots like steriod size lobster pots.Having said this I always thought rock cod were one of those species that you cook up in a pan with a bit of butter, some herbs to season along with a hand full of small stones. Cook for 15 minutes on a medium heat, then discard the rock cod and eat the stones.