Flathead Season on the Sandflats

Do other members experience 2 distinct Flathead seasons on the Northern Sandflats?I find they are around when the water temperature is between 13 to 20c.This most commonly occurs during Spring and Autumn. Although if you do get a cold spell of 4 or 5 days in Summer, they will return momentarily while the sea surface temps has dropped.What times of the year do you most often catch them? … IN SHALLOW WADING WATER that is.As I find other times of the year when it is too cold 20, there are more frequent reports of them being caught in deeper water from boats.I finally managed to get out for them on Saturday. It has been frustrating as the water temperature has been rising to the optimum level to see Flathead appearing in the shallows and I have not been able to get out. Sunday looked like a perfect day and I could not go. It was forecasted to be windy Saturday morning but I went anyway.When I got there I wondered if it was the right call. It was windy & choppy. I have found that Flathead prefer calmer conditions. When the water is clear and visibility is good so that they can see the bait fish easily. Or maybe it is because the baitfish do not like the rougher conditions in shallow waters and retreat to deeper water and the Flathead follow them. Either one or both. Same result when it is blowy. No Flathead. Well regardless I went through the motions. Not long into the session and the wind drops off. The sky clears and visibility in the water improves as sunlight penetrates deep into the water. These fine conditions just make you feel good regardless of catching fish. But I have found Flathead also like these conditions. Right on cue. I strike on a bite. The heavy pull of an unmistakable Flathead bite. It is heavy. But the fish is obligingly come in easily. Never be fooled by that. It soon realises it is hooked and takes off for a blistering run. Retrieve, run, retrieve, run. The fish gets in close and you reach towards it with the landing net. Then it makes a mad dash right between my spread legs. Fortunately there was not much line out for it to rub the braid off on my boots. I managed to hold on with the bent over rod pointing down between my legs!!! I hung on until it decided to turn around and come straight back out from between my legs! Soon it was in the net and in the tub. A solid 65 cm Flathead. My first for this Spring season. Not too long after I had another which fought as hard and went 60cm.130921-13p.jpgI tried a few other Flathead spots without success Well that was it and I was happy. Two great fish to get off the mark for the season. I switched to trying for some Yellow Fin Whiting. They have thinned out a bit up here. I have had the odd evening fish on a southern sand flat and have started to pick up some YFW there. Along with the occasional spring Bream in the mangrove creeks. So I was expecting the YFW numbers to be down as they have started moving south. I managed to keep 7 from 30 to 35cm. I released a few under 30cm. Size does drop here as the weather warms. On the metro beaches the early arrivals are always the better size fish. It took some searching and angling at the very bottom of the tide to get these YFW. Probably more satisfying than catching a quick fire bag of 20 when they are going bunta. 130921-2p.jpgWell heres looking forward to a few good Flathead sessions ahead .. if we can get a calm day or two! :unsure: Cheers, Des

Great report and got me even more keen to get up there and have a crack!!! :fishing:
Bloody hell Des once again you show us all how its done' date=' well done mate. :clap:[/quote']When we going? :sos:
Was meant to go Sunday but was in bed sick.If i dont get my boat this week then i will be going next weekend to me old mate the northern flats