Sign in to follow this  
brutus

Why does my KG whiting taste funny ?

All year I have been catching kg's out of Port Hughes. Been a good year, and most of the ones I catch have only been around the 32 - 38 cm mark.

My usual method of cooking is to lightly crumb and then pan fry in a little butter. Just delicious that way with a squeeze of lemon.

Went out yesterday and tried a spot near the cape in some deeper water and got 8 thumpers around 48cm each. 

Cooked them for lunch today in the usual method and the whole family did not devour them as usual, saying " they taste funny dad ?"

They did too! Very fishy flavour, not the same sweet flavour as the smaller ones. I have heard before that smaller fish taste better, but have never experienced it myself. Is this the case ? taste stronger because they are bigger, or do they start to taste funny at a certain time of the year or what ??

I always prefer the smaller kg they are a lot sweeter imo so the crew gets the biggies.The big breeders do take on a stronger iodine taste when they get ready for spawning and this is to do with their diet, i think  there must be something in the cork weed that they need to kick their cycle into gear.My family won't even eat them when they are like that.

cheers b

I think from now on I will be doing as Brenton does, and that's give away the larger ones or cook in a diff way. The smaller ones are way sweeter and the family devours them, the larger ones I think will need some sort of sauce to diffuse the strong taste that we are unaccustomed to. All these years catching smaller ones thinking I am missing out and now I realise I was eating the best.... go figure ?

The West Coast tends to hold alot smaller fish than the York Peninsula, yet the fish buyers have always payed good money for these fish even though they pay transport costs from say Thevenard and have to be at the Central Bus Station first thing to greet the Bus . The people who have posted on this topic know  why.